Ask me anything about vehicle repair

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
hell yeah man, that's awesome, thanks for sharing that with us? do you think you'd be interested in doing a workshop at the jamboree? even if it was just an AMA i think it would be very useful to folks.

for me personally, i'm curious what you're driving and why you chose it? im saving up to get a van and am curious to learn anything i can that will be useful in choosing one.
Hell ya Matt, I can talk for days about basic mechanics everyone should learn and can do. Anything I can do to help out I'd love to for the Jambo.

I'm currently driving a 92 Chevy Beauville, 15 passenger, 1 ton G30, with 350ci small block V8 engine and 4L80e Trans.

I chose the van for a million reasons I'll have to tell you all about in person. The main reasons I'll try to highlight quick:

-the small block 350 was MASS produced for 3 million years, lol... Nothing rare about it. This means parts are everywhere; new and used.

-chassis parts are still sitting on parts store shelves that were made in america. This means 2 things; they don't break, and they made a butt load of extras.

- COST...older domestic car parts are 9 times out of 10 cheaper than foreign or import car parts. This dynamic in the market is always changing though. Places like Rock Auto. Com are buying up all the old stock of parts to have the monopoly on the market. It's only a matter of time until the old parts become rare parts.

-I'll end it with this point; SHIT BREAKS. Get something commonly mass produced that had a 25 year or longer run. Another great example of this would be the Jeep 4.0L straight 6 engine. It's a 40+ year run of a great bulletproof engine that goes and goes.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Thank GOD someone got that joke....I was getting worried.....

Those dont work because it's basically the same thing as shifting the shifter from D to 3 to 2 ect. It's still running of an auto tranmission, just prevents the car from shifting at high RPM.

Ya, it sound like you have a much larger issue than tires, automatic transmissions are shit, semi-auto are worse. Which is what you have.

With that amount of miles, it is possible the tyranny just took a shit on you, I know that's not a good thing to hear, but if you buy a vehicle again...dont buy American (POST 1995). Anything but dodge trucks are total garbage.

I dont mean to offend anyone out there, but the truth is in the maintenance logs....
True story!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hell ya Matt, I can talk for days about basic mechanics everyone should learn and can do. Anything I can do to help out I'd love to for the Jambo.

that would be super useful! i'll definitely be taking notes since im currently saving up for a van to live in.

bob wells on cheaprvliving.com generally recommends chevy vans built after 2002, do you have any opinion on those?

also, i really like the g20/30 vans, just love that style. what should i look for in those? i'm nervous about buying the older vans tho cause i've gotten burned in the past...

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
which chevy van? i'm currently looking to get a chevy express van 2002 or later...
The chevy express vans seem to hold up good, rust easy though. I think the older vintage vans, 85-95 hold up just as good. Newer 5.3L Chevy vortec engine ( probably whats in a 02 express, or the 6.0L?) will get better milage though compared to older 350ci which is a 5.7L.

Are you concerned with having a high top van?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Are you concerned with having a high top van?

ideally i want a high top, but i'm willing to get a regular height van and install a high top later on.

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
ideally i want a high top, but i'm willing to get a regular height van and install a high top later on.
I've never actually looked into the cost of having a high top installed, but I do know it's a thing. We do not have a high top, but some times I wish I did. It's my girlfriend and myself in the van, and we make it work. We are considering a small pull trailer camper in the future also, I just hate/love the idea of a trailer at same time.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've never actually looked into the cost of having a high top installed, but I do know it's a thing. We do not have a high top, but some times I wish I did. It's my girlfriend and myself in the van, and we make it work. We are considering a small pull trailer camper in the future also, I just hate/love the idea of a trailer at same time.

yeah it seems the high tops cost around 2-3k depending on where you go. here's a good video about it:

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
2011 chevy cruze. Lost gears when warm after donut tire and tire change. Snow tires n all seasons mixed. Would this blow tranny out? Or will diff tires make it shift again?

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'lost gears' but moderate to drastic changes in overall tire/wheel circumference will definitely make a noticeable difference on WHEN the trans will shift gears on both older hydraulic/mechanical auto trans and newer; those electronically controlled with VSS (vehicle speed sensor)

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
Coywolf:

The blinker fluid joke has been going around for decades. I too was surprised it wasn't commented on immediately.

SaltyCrew:

Your driving preference. Manual transmission or automatic? I am staunch manual, I can even float the gears up and down on my Mazda 5 mini-minivan; manual, gas job. I drove big trucks for a number of years, that's where I found out how.

Stick driving is getting to be obsolete. This automatic transmission hype about paddle-shifting, well, help thyself. I'm not interested. I'm worried that my vehicle choices will be limited in the upcoming years. Wag my head.

Think you'll attend the Jambo? I was at the last one, I have references. I'm harmless. I think you talking at the library bar would entertain and inform the lot. That's how these things usually go down; no amphitheater no formal discourse. No fist-fights, just laid back palaver. Of course there is no dope smoking. Lots of police.

Drinking is heavily frowned upon.

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
@JasonnAngel

If you're experiencing the trans slipping, especially when warm- it could be anything from simply incorrect, dirty, or insufficient TF to a leaky torque converter to worn out clutch discs.

I'm not familiar with that particular transmission but there a few that get real finicky about the temperature of the fluid, it's possible that if your transmission cooler (whether it runs thru the radiator or is a separate heat exchanger) is fairly clogged or not working optimally i.e. Other cooling system problems, then the overheated fluid can cause slipping

Reactions: Ezra Fyre

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
yeah it seems the high tops cost around 2-3k depending on where you go. here's a good video about it:

You can get a whole high top van for that if you are half decent with a bead roller and mig welder. You’re gonna have to hack out all the rust from the bottom of the body and weld in a simple panel you bead roll. Thats how i got an old farm van thats i sold with the farm. The high top made it so you can stack nearly 40 bales of hay inside with the passenger seat removed :) they usually also come with a wheelchair lift which is great, the one i got could lift 1000 lbs if you helped w. The manual pump attached, 700 without help.

Now i want to buy a van again when im back home..

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Coywolf:

The blinker fluid joke has been going around for decades. I too was surprised it wasn't commented on immediately.

SaltyCrew:

Your driving preference. Manual transmission or automatic? I am staunch manual, I can even float the gears up and down on my Mazda 5 mini-minivan; manual, gas job. I drove big trucks for a number of years, that's where I found out how.

Stick driving is getting to be obsolete. This automatic transmission hype about paddle-shifting, well, help thyself. I'm not interested. I'm worried that my vehicle choices will be limited in the upcoming years. Wag my head.

Think you'll attend the Jambo? I was at the last one, I have references. I'm harmless. I think you talking at the library bar would entertain and inform the lot. That's how these things usually go down; no amphitheater no formal discourse. No fist-fights, just laid back palaver. Of course there is no dope smoking. Lots of police.

Drinking is heavily frowned upon.

Im with you there, manual all the way if you have the choice. Less things to break the better. Im currently caring for a 4L80e automatic in my van, its holding up good, although im scared to drain and fill the fluid, haha. Its shifting great right now, and im carrying a new trans filter kit and fluid with me. Will probably knock that out soon, van has 125K on it. I recomend changing fluid at 100K or before on these transmissions.

Yes ill be at the Jambo this year, cant wait! Will probably go over all the basics of "do this" , "dont do this" type things. Should be a great time! Im going to incorprate some "off road driving techniques" also since most of us find ourselves driving in these situations with vehicles that were not probably meant to drive off road.

Last edited:

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! Thought I'd bump this thread back up top ! I have regular access to internet for the summer most likely, so my response time should be relatively quick if anyone has any questions! In the mean time here is some random useful vehicle tips!

***check your tire pressure regularly. Tires lose air, period. If you are that lucky person that your tires do not lose air, lucky you, someone installed your tires with care! Low tires will cause a pull in the steering, get worse gas milage, and prematurely wear your tires.

***Don't run straight water in your radiator unless you have to! It works fine on a fine day, but not so much when freezing or 90F+ blazin'!

***Change your oil! Every 3,000 miles is best practice, newer engines claim longer on synthetics, read the manual for your specifics! Also, run the correct weight of oil (5w30, 10w40, 5w20 etc.) Because it does make a difference! Check the oil level regularly, as most engines start using oil as they get older, weather it leaks or burns it. Keeping it topped off will drastically extend engine life.

That's all for now! Have a good day everyone!

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I found an old van for $400 but i needs the 4r75w rebuilt. Im thinking of just slotting a zf5 bolt action from a f250 and hanging a wilwood clutch system. Do you have any experience doing manual swaps to old shitty ferd vans? Anything i should look out for or be aware of?

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
I found an old van for $400 but i needs the 4r75w rebuilt. Im thinking of just slotting a zf5 bolt action from a f250 and hanging a wilwood clutch system. Do you have any experience doing manual swaps to old shitty ferd vans? Anything i should look out for or be aware of?

Hey, sounds like you've got it all figured out there! No experience with Ford van, but if the vehicle never came as a manual option it will be alot harder to install most likely, but I'm sure it's possible. The first problem I see is installing a clutch pedal? Is that the Wildwood product you're buying? That sounds expensive.

Why do you want the particular van? Do you have time and money and space and tools to repair yourself?

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Its a hightop van. Wilwood makes a hydro clutch kit thats a super easy install. The van is high top and extended with a chair lift which ive found super useful. I miss having a van, but i am always worried the auto trans is going to take a shit. My old one was a beast, used it on my farm for years, i just ragged on her daily. Cant kill the old ferds though, besides the trans. Thankfully the old one never broke, i sold the van with the farm.

This van is clapped out, two broken leaf springs in the back, but i figure ill rob the scrap yard f250 for its leafs too. I might offer the guy $200 cuz its basically junk. I am too cheap to justify spending more than a grand on a van. I figure i can finish this project for under a grand said and done or close to(so long as im not fucking with the rear end). Especially if the van is $200.

The zf5 bolts right up, i would need to cut a channel for the shifter to sit in and hang the clutch. Theres a fella on youtube who had it done in his bus so its def possible.
Why they didnt offer these vans with a manual i have no idea. Everyone in the states hates manuals though, they dont sell barely any car with a stick these days sadly.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Get the original transmission rebuilt! Putting in a manual, will not be easy, !
Its a hightop van. Wilwood makes a hydro clutch kit thats a super easy install. The van is high top and extended with a chair lift which ive found super useful. I miss having a van, but i am always worried the auto trans is going to take a shit. My old one was a beast, used it on my farm for years, i just ragged on her daily. Cant kill the old ferds though, besides the trans. Thankfully the old one never broke, i sold the van with the farm.

This van is clapped out, two broken leaf springs in the back, but i figure ill rob the scrap yard f250 for its leafs too. I might offer the guy $200 cuz its basically junk. I am too cheap to justify spending more than a grand on a van. I figure i can finish this project for under a grand said and done or close to(so long as im not fucking with the rear end). Especially if the van is $200.

The zf5 bolts right up, i would need to cut a channel for the shifter to sit in and hang the clutch. Theres a fella on youtube who had it done in his bus so its def possible.
Why they didnt offer these vans with a manual i have no idea. Everyone in the states hates manuals though, they dont sell barely any car with a stick these days sadly.
I’ve driven manual transmission, for my job & after awhile, it wears you out, shifting all day, for 12 hours! Now the company vehicle is an automatic & love it!
While you’re at the junkyard, pull a 4r75, and throw it in, junkyard has a 30 day warranty!

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score

Sounds like a project! I would inspect all the chassis parts and see what else needs replaced. That stuff will nickel and dime you. It cost about $100 just to put pads and rotors on most anything anymore. If you're trying to stay under $1,000 total, id look for something running/driving. I just bought a Jeep Cherokee for $350 and drove it away.

Reactions: ByronMc

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sounds like a project! I would inspect all the chassis parts and see what else needs replaced. That stuff will nickel and dime you. It cost about $100 just to put pads and rotors on most anything anymore. If you're trying to stay under $1,000 total, id look for something running/driving. I just bought a Jeep Cherokee for $350 and drove it away.
Agree on the nickel & dime, unless it’s something you want bad! Then those nickels & dimes go into your dream vehicle!
Just picked up a GMC Vandura 3500 short bus, for $600, and it needs a ton of work. It does have the 4l80e & a gasser 350 !

Attachments

• B4887F19-DD77-4DD1-AC0E-8985FE665046.jpeg
    B4887F19-DD77-4DD1-AC0E-8985FE665046.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
Reactions: SaltyCrew

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads