Ask me anything about vehicle repair

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
I just want to know what could solve the problem. Break lights and turn signals started to some what work when I capped the bare wires to the radio. I realize there this still a short somewhere. Just not sure how to locate it.

Well here is a question, why would wires from the radio blow out the fuse for the break lights and turn signals and not the fuse for the radio itself?

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
I just want to know what could solve the problem. Break lights and turn signals started to some what work when I capped the bare wires to the radio. I realize there this still a short somewhere. Just not sure how to locate it.

Well here is a question, why would wires from the radio blow out the fuse for the break lights and turn signals and not the fuse for the radio itself?

Are your turns/brake lights integrated then? Same bulb? Does it blow without stepping on the brake pedal?

If the fuse is the wrong size amperage rating (too small), it has the potential to blow. If it's the correct size and it's blowing, there is a short to power, or high resistance in the circuit somewhere, which acts as a higher load on the fuse/circuit.

The radio is wired into the body control harness, and so is the lights. Electricity is very sneaky about finding it's way to ground, and will always choose the shortest path of least resistance.

I would start by making sure the fuse is the correct size, the bulbs are all good and no corrosion in the sockets, and wire harness connectors at the tail lights are free of corrosion and good connections. If all that is good to go, you're going to need a DVOM to start tracing/probing the circuit to find the last place you have power, first place you lost power. The problem is in between those 2 points.

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Are your turns/brake lights integrated then? Same bulb? Does it blow without stepping on the brake pedal?

Yes Turns/Break lights are on the same bulb. When the problem first started, anytime I turned the key on, the fuse for turn/break would pop. Since capping the bare wires from the radio, my turn signals work sometimes. I would start it, then put the fuse in. For a couple of weeks it would be fine. Then at random at times I would turn the key and the fuse pop again. But it has never popped anytime I applied the break. The manual shows 20amp. So thats all I've used.

So far I've replaced the Flashers, and break light switch. I always figured that there is still a short with the wires cut from the radio.

I knew the guy who sold it to me. He once had it all decked out as a Zombie Response Team Vehicle. LED Emergency strobes on the grill and the emergency dash strobes. He had a siren and a PA system hooked up. When I bought it, there was no casings on the front turn signals. I stopped driving it a couple months ago when I got my little Ford Ranger. But I miss driving the Expedition. My licenses are suspended and I fear that driving even without turn signals will get me stopped.

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
I drive a 93 Buick Roadmaster. I am the third owner of the car. I love the car and it's fun to drive. That being said it has it's ,um, quirks like any older car.

I dropped a new battery in it this past summer cause the battery was dead.

Tldr; how do I tell if it's a bad alnernator? I did a google search and I read that a bad alternator can drain a battery.

What do you think @SaltyCrew ?

If you need anymore info let me know. Just trying to get this all out there before my afternoon nap. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
I drive a 93 Buick Roadmaster. I am the third owner of the car. I love the car and it's fun to drive. That being said it has it's ,um, quirks like any older car.

I dropped a new battery in it this past summer cause the battery was dead.

Tldr; how do I tell if it's a bad alnernator? I did a google search and I read that a bad alternator can drain a battery.

What do you think @SaltyCrew ?

If you need anymore info let me know. Just trying to get this all out there before my afternoon nap. ❤ ❤ ❤

Do you drive the car everyday? Do you have to jump start it? The best/fastest way to find out if you have a bad alternator is to get a voltage meter and check voltage at the battery while the car is running. If it's charging like it should, you should see 12.8v-14.3v at the battery. If it's below 12.5v while running, likely your alternator is not charging, or there is an open circuit (blown fuse, bad connection, broken wire) in between alternator and battery.

Lynora

Reaction score
Wanting to repalace rear side window (it's static, doesn't move) in an old Toyota 4runner. I've got the window from a junkyard...was planning on using window weld to put it in, and duct tape on all 4 corners. Want to do it on a warm day... I've helped a friend repair windshields this way, but I'm worried with it's being a side window that the duct tape won't be enough and it might fall. Any suggestions?

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Wanting to repalace rear side window (it's static, doesn't move) in an old Toyota 4runner. I've got the window from a junkyard...was planning on using window weld to put it in, and duct tape on all 4 corners. Want to do it on a warm day... I've helped a friend repair windshields this way, but I'm worried with it's being a side window that the duct tape won't be enough and it might fall. Any suggestions?

What year 4runner? I'd say use some wide 3M painters tape to hold the window in place while the window weld cures. Duct tape leaves a nasty residue that's hard to clean off glass and paint. Can also get creative and prop something against the glass, like a piece of wood. More surface area against the glass the better. I think you'll be fine.

EJ1312

Teleporter - Apprentice time traveller
Reaction score
I bought a 1980 Dodge b300 in the fall,
Drove ir over 8000km ,
Gas aint cheap.

I had a blown heater core the day i took it away from the owner , tires were also done.
I didn't know this until it got really bad and my thermostat blew
When buying older motorhomes buyer beware.

But to be honest there are alot of motorhomes that will drive for another 60,000 to 100,000 miles guaranteed.

Do your routine maintenance and dont floor it. You should be good for a while

Be sure to test drive it and a mechanic with you for the test drive would be ideal

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads