Are tires cheaper depending in what region you get them replaced?

fatberg

Reaction score
I have a Honda Pilot that I am moving into at the start of March. The tire treads are pretty low and I should get them replaced, and I'm wondering if that would be cheaper to do depending on where I am. I'm starting out in Baltimore, and my first stops are Richmond, VA and FL. Does anybody know if I can get a better deal in different states or more rural parts?

Reactions: marymemarryme

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Depending on how low "pretty low" is you may want to get them replaced before setting out. I'd personally go for the small "mom and pop" tire places instead of the big chain places. They're usually more likely to wheel and deal with you and can sometimes offer you a used set in good shape for cash without any tax or anything for a fair price. I can't help you about tire places along your route though but I hope that helps a bit.

Sameer

Reaction score
Personally I feel you get what you pay for. Tires are a integral part of your operation. An investment for your security. I would buy a set of new tires that are rated for your vehicle and you can find them on sale. That way you can feel confident driving down the road. Good tires and frequent oil changes are the key to success

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
So I had this same question last year when I needed new tires. I got quoted from multiple tire shops throughout southern ca, arizona, nevada, oregan and wa. Low income areas and high, there was a difference, but only by about 10$/tire at the most. Not really worth shopping for IMO

As for replacing all 4 tires on AWD, it depends. The idea here is you want the same or similar treaddeapth between tires on the same axel, otherwise the front and/or real differential will ingage the ‘turning gears’ that allow the tires to spin at different rates. These are not designed to be engaged constantly and can overheat and damage your differentials. Every car has a tolerence, like 3/64ths of an inch or so, check to see what yours is. So you need atleast each set or tires (front/rear) to match. Many tire shops can shave the new tires tread depth down to match your older tires.
Now if your thinking can I get 2 tires now and 2 later. Yes you technically can but I wouldnt do it. Thats going to make things like tire rotations difficult or impossible if you don't get the second set within a few thousand miles. Also cars generally dont like having radically different tread patterns between tires.

I ended up just shelling out the ~900$ for a new set of quality tires. I got them from discount tire because;
1: they were cheapest
2: they have centers all over the country that can honor warranties or service plans, if you get your tires from an independant shop your fucked on this front.
3: thier tire service plan was only 25$ a tire and covers anything untill the tire runs low on tread. Which means if my tires survive to get that low I’m going to “accidentially” run over some jagged metal chunks and get me a new set of tires for free lol.

• Useful
Reactions: marymemarryme

bote

Reaction score
@fatberg this doesn't apply to your situation cause of your location, but I thought of something generally relevant to your question.

In northern states or Canada where there is snow in winter months, people switch out their summer and winter tires. This makes it a lot easier to find used summer tires in good condition. When people put on their winter tires, the summer ones often get put in a corner somewhere and forgotten.
Tires sitting off the rim sometimes crack along the treads, but so long as there are no cracks in the sidewalls, they're evenly worn, and have a good amount of tread, they can still be perfectly good.

The set I'm on now was a used set of summer tires with about 7mm of tread (8mm is new) . I paid 120$ and that included a spare of the same dimensions and make. Avoid mix and match sets of different makes, even if they are the same dimensions.

Last edited:

Groundscore

Reaction score
No matter what tires you get, unless they are run-flats make sure you get a good patch kit, and a small 12-volt DC powered air compressor, along with an air gauge. While you're at it, make sure you have a flashlight or headlamp, as the one time you don't is the one time you will have a flat in the dark.
Next, check the condition and air pressure of your spare, as it sucks to have a flat, but it sucks way more to have one and only then find out that your spare is also flat.
Keep in mind that tire pressure decreases in lower temperatures. The same for elevation. A good way to remember is lower = lower. Lower temps, lower pressure, lower altitudes, lower pressure.
Make sure you check the lug nuts with your wrench, as many shops put on new tires with air guns set too high, making it impossible to remove them without a better lug wrench and/or cheater bar. This is also when you will find out if you have locking lug nuts; if you do, make sure you keep the "key" for them, and don't let a tire shop forget to give it back to you!
Also make sure you know where your jack is, where it goes, and try it out.
You want to make sure you are ready and able to change a tire BEFORE you have to!

Last edited:

colter

Reaction score
Call all the used tire shops in your area (often the hispanic run ones have the best deals), ask for a set of matched tires in your size with at least 50% tread. Or, get on craigslist, facebook mp, what have you, look for a take off set and take them to a tire place to have them mounted and balanced. A used tire place is better, cos the set price usually includes mount and balance. Dont pay more than $15/ each for mount and balance. Rural areas are better typically. I got 5 good all terrains for a truck last year in tn for $150 mounted and balanced.

The above posters advice is spot on.

For awd a matched set is more important than other cars, they all need to have the same tread wear. Also important to rotate them every time you change the oil.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads