Anyone know how to skin a raccoon? | Squat the Planet

Anyone know how to skin a raccoon?

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Mashin home about 30 minutes ago, a damn raccoon darted out in front of my truck. Flipped a dick went back to put it out of it's misery. It was dead on contact I guess, clean kill. So I was like shit, I don't wanna leave this poor creature here for the vultures and rats. Gloved up, threw him in the truck bed. I'd like to give it's death a purpose, show it some respect. Figured maybe I'd make a hat, mittens shit I don't know. Anyway, I know fuck all about processing a raccoon. Anyone got any tips? How to process? Supplies I'll need? Ideas as far as creative ways I can put as much of it to use as possible?
IMG_20200204_224113084.jpg
IMG_20200204_224135234.jpg

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
All you need is a short, sharp knife, a 5-gallon bucket, a wooden pallet and a bottle of tanning solution (available at your local taxidermist, or from Uncle Bezos) and a strong stomach. Use rubber gloves and good hygiene; you don’t know what the little dude’s got.

If you’ve never skinned anything before you’ll likely make a mess of it. Watch YouTube vids and practice on squirrels. You might try freezing it (spread-eagle) and letting it thaw skin-deep; it peels somewhat easier that way. Once the pelt is off and it’s time for scraping, stretch it over a wooden pallet with nails.

I don’t have any tips for what to make with the pelt; god knows I have enough coonskins piled in my closet awaiting that moment of inspiration.

Be sure to save the baculum for spells.

RIP Bandit. Respect to you for respecting his remains.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Huge respect for not leaving him to rot. Make sure you don't hit the scent glands around it's anus while you're skinning him.

If you plan on using the meat, check the liver for spots, I don't remember what it is but it's bad, discard the meat in that case. There's a chance he had rabies, you'll need to fully cook the meat to well done, something like a stew would be the perfect application.

I'll grab a couple pictures from some survival books I have and post them, they mostly pertain to deer but the same thing will work for any other mammal.

Edit: Here they are
Edit 2: Images were removed, changing it to a PDF and I'm going to chop it down so it's not shitty images

Edit 3 now in PDF format for ease of access

Wanted to be thorough so I posted everything related to the skinning and tanning part of the chapter

Attachments

• Advanced Bushcraft - Chapter 9 pages 141 through 148.pdf
    161.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks, both of ya. I've watched a couple videos, it doesn't look too complicated. It'd be nice to have some of the specialty tools for spreading the legs and hanging while skinning but I'll improvise with strong wire from opposing trees or something. I don't think I'll be using the meat. I wish I had it in me but it just seems too risky and I guess vultures gotta eat too. I'll take the fur, claws, skull, maybe some bones if I like em, and I'll huck the remaining carcass out on my property far enough that my dog won't come across it and hope some nasty animal makes it a meal. This sucker is huge, it's gotta weigh 40+ lbs. Not a single blemish on it's fur, I can't even figure out exactly where it was struck. It's just got blood coming out the mouth. No tire marks, nothing seems smashed or broken I think it took a head shot from the tire but didn't actually go under the tire? Just a violent concussive blow I guess.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
That's weird as hell

This is from the SAS Survival Handbook, make something like this to skin him. Make sure you put a drip pan below to collect the blood to avoid attracting animals to the area. If you want me to post the full page, lemme know

Attachments

• diagram from sas handbook.jpg
    diagram from sas handbook.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 349
D

Deleted member 27969

Do not eat the meat, is best advice. Even if it had been fully dressed after a brain pan kill, don't eat racoon. They, despite their predilection for licking everything before eating it, are filthy. I've seen people have to get warts burned off from handling them and nicking a glove.

Even on a large racoon there is surprisingly little usable real estate for making something. If you wear men's medium or larger gloves, you probably need 4 of them to create a pair of gloves, and then unless you have access to an upholstery (sewing) machine, forget getting the leather seams done to the point you seal access. Also even with the tanned leather, be out in the rain or snow and then have them start to dry off- you'll cut gloves off by the time you feel them getting tighter.

Lifted truck, little vermin still ran out- can't quite articulate its thought process but given they are a primary vector for rabies and disease and his guts will attract coyotes and coydogs that are the same carriers and vectors, uh... take him off get bonfire going of wood and send him out via funeral pyre ?

One asshole's thoughts and experiences, this asshole will leave you to your roadkill.

croc

Reaction score
Okay, hot take tho..
Other animals eating a dead animal is the opposite of it going to waste. Buzzards n shit gotta eat too and that's how they stay fed.
@shred till yer dead knows about skinnin and cookin coons too tho. Has a sick hat to prove it.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@TheUndeadPhoenix
I believe Kaya solved the mystery. As crazy as it sounds, I believe it ran head first into my rear rim and got it's bell rung.
IMG_20200205_082225017.jpg
IMG_20200205_082227166.jpg
IMG_20200205_082229406.jpg
IMG_20200205_082239228.jpg
IMG_20200205_082242623.jpg

Jerrell

Reaction score
Random knowledge I recall from a field trip in junior high. The natives used the penis bone for a toothpick.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
All I know is that every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide.....if you wanted to try and go the brain tanning route

D

Deleted member 27969

Random knowledge I recall from a field trip in junior high. The natives used the penis bone for a toothpick.

Holy smokes. I got the quote to work.

They used them for fletchette's too. Same for possums.

When I went to Australia and went to the NT, I learned that the indigenous people would keep that bone, and small ones to use in blow guns. Went to NZ and asked a maori fella who was putting me edit: forgot word "up" if the Maori did that ? "No, we just beat the white man to death traditionally."

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I kinda got a lot going on right now and felt pressured to do something quick with this guy. Ended up making contact with @Caveman118 & brought it to him. Awesome guy, he offered to skin it and teach me how or talk me through it if I wanted to do it myself.

Animal furs kinda seem more his thing than mine so I was like you can just have this if you feel up to skinning it. All I cared about was that it became something for someone. I know I'm being shamed(jokingly I realize) for depriving vultures of their meals but they'll find something else.

I just felt like it's death was at my hands in a sense. The universe put that raccoon in my life, I couldn't just leave it. Plus where I live there's so much roadkill, those buzzards ain't missing any meals. Anyway, it's skinned now. Thanks for all the tips y'all. It's been a learning experience.

D

Deleted member 27969

Damn decent to do. In far east TN there is limited access to vets and many people allow pets to run free. Raccoons just get trapped, killed here, and discarded.

No frothy blood I'm sure you know means it did not suffer or likely even survive a few seconds.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Damn.. Wish Ida known about the possible dangers of consuming raccoon meat...

A few years ago a raccoon was messing around in my baby food forest and my puppers took it down with the quickness but didn't put it all the way out. I finished the deed with a 1800's Era, double headed axe that murt (@wokofshame ) had sent me...later made some of the best racoon tacos ever. After much work to separate the meat from sinew and bone I marinated in achiote oil, cumin, garlic, onion, malt vinegar, and Cuban oregano for about a day.. Then pan fried . Shit was bomb.. But now...I'll be wary about the possibility of not so delicious outcomes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200206-193511.png
    Screenshot_20200206-193511.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 269
  • Screenshot_20200206-193524.png
    Screenshot_20200206-193524.png
    678.6 KB · Views: 310
D

Deleted member 27969

After much work to separate the meat from sinew and bone I marinated in achiote oil, cumin, garlic, onion, malt vinegar, and Cuban oregano for about a day.. Then pan fried . Shit was bomb.. But now...I'll be wary about the possibility of not so delicious outcomes.

Dude, man's fucked up the planet so much that nothing is entirely safe. In the early 90's I remember seeing "edgy" rednecks with the bumpersticker "I can remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous".

In AL and East TN, whitetail deer have lesions and growths(think like a furry skin tag that can get as big as your fist, avg size your big toe). The state dept of fish and game both put out releases saying "It's safe to eat." It's not something I'd eat.

I don't hunt and don't have any opinions on hunting but I think unless mankind changes its ways in regards to how it interfaces with Nature/Earth, then man is, to be crude- fucked. And deservedly so in my asshole opinion.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads