Anyone interested in going to Mexico to fight for Indigenous rights? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Anyone interested in going to Mexico to fight for Indigenous rights?

Reaction score
Website
effectiveresistance.tumblr.com
I am very interested. I am straight edge and very politically minded. One very impressive recent armed resistance acknowledge is MEND. I am in canada, and the US is not available to me anymore. I was thinking of going around. Would be great to enter Chiapas with a comrade or two. I do plan on fighting for indigenous rights in the more civilized world. But seeking some training and experience.

kickthatshit

Reaction score
I hate to point out the obvious, but you can't just waltz into a small community somewhere on the other side of the earth, unknown to the locals, not speaking the language, and expect to be welcomed with open arms as a 'comrade'. You'd probably help the communities down there more by doing something here to stop the flow of military aid to the Mexican government. I'm sure y'all have good intentions, but I fear you'll be fairly disappointed.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Leaving as soon as I find someone willing to go with, I am heading from NYC and will stop anywhere along the way, pretty "loose" trip. Main destination-Chiapas.

nomadman

Reaction score
everymanation, are you housed up right now? Have access to a phone? I just wanna talk to you a little more about this. Where are you thinking about meeting up? Where were you hoping to cross the border? Do you have other people who have already committed to going with you?

Ilikepie

Reaction score
If you don't mind me ranting about this here considering this is related to the topic.

What REALLY bothers me about Mexico is that most of the people have NO Spanish descendency but they still cling on to the culture and the language of the white guys when they have beautiful indigenous languages and culture that they could be accepting instead. This shouldn't even be have to be fought over, its literally native americans with a white culture fighting against native americans with native culture.

Hell, it'd make the Spaniards happy if they did at the same time.

paradisefound

Reaction score
People in Mexico who are breaking with central authority generally don't need visitors. Some get turned away. If you do want to be there in rural poverty, bring cash to pay for your experience.

And keep in mind that getting politically involved. Being do get injured or kicked out of the country
See article 33 of the Mexican constitution: "The Federal Executive shall have the exclusive power to compel any foreigner whose remaining he may deem inexpedient to abandon the national territory immediately and without the necessity of previous legal action." It also states: "Foreigners may not in any way participate in the political affairs of the country."

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads