Anyone in DC or Northern VA,

astreet09

Reaction score
My friend lives up there and I'm trying to get a place with her in about a month.

She's pretty stuck right now in what sounds like a shitty town called Stafford. I've been trying to find evidence of punk communities there, or trying to figure out where exactly we should be looking.

I'm told DC is the mecca of straightedge. Not too into it, as generally the edge kids that I've met are all arrogant and condescending.

If anyone has any information or experience with the area, or can tell me about some people we should talk to, it'd be great. We're only trying to stick around until march, so if any punk houses have a room to rent out or something we'd be glad to take it.

bramble

Reaction score
I lived there for 4 months? and did not love it at all. I met a view good people though and I think would have eventually found the right ones if I had had more time to do anything other than work. but I'll give you the advice that was given to me: find the tall bikes and follow them. oddly enough it works. the few good people I met in DC I met because I talked to the kid I saw riding a tall bike. the girl cave is a house name I've heard talked about a lot. Newton st is a collection of lovely folk in NE. ? good luck.

Apples

Reaction score
I've been in MD most of my life. The DC punk scene is mainly straight edge and hardcore and it sucks. DC punks aren't all straightedge but in terms of the punk community its fairly straightedge based. Most of the punk houses come as fast as they disappear. Due to my dislike of a lot of the straightedge peeps i'm somewhat out of date with all the houses in DC. I know the Corpse Fortress in Silver Spring has had rooms open in the past, but they might be full up right now. As for the houses in DC I don't know how open the more recent ones are to renting out rooms or letting people stay. I might be wrong though, i've been fading out of the DC punk scene since it became so straightedge based. Theres a New Years show at the Corpse Fortress and a great show at the Black Cat in DC for their 10th anniversary in early Jan. There should be lots of people at both those shows. Those would be good shows to go to if you wanna find people involved in the local scene. I'll at least be the Black Cat show if you feel like going and want to see a friendly face.

astreet09

Reaction score
Theres no way I can be there by new years, I'm back in Nebraska until sometime in February. Haha. I'll definitely tell my friend up there about those though, she'll be stoked that someone has some information about places to check out.

Kind of a bummer about the DC scene being as edge as I've heard. On the other hand, we're only going to be there until late spring. Theres a couple of Crass reunion shows in the area around that time. If anyone is going to be there, definitely reply to this thread. Hah

trystero

Reaction score
DC can be uptight but there are some good people. Things are happening in NoVa somewhat, at least more than when I was there. If you're in Stafford than Fredricksburg isn't too far.

Apples

Reaction score
Kind of a bummer about the DC scene being as edge as I've heard. On the other hand, we're only going to be there until late spring. Theres a couple of Crass reunion shows in the area around that time. If anyone is going to be there, definitely reply to this thread. Hah

Yeah Baltimore is the place to be. Most bands will play Baltimore and skip over DC. I think Crass will be playing in Baltimore at the end of March. I'll prolly be there.

M

Mouse

no, I hate DC. I have one friend there I will go hang out with and she's the furthest thing from a punk/squater/whatever

it is mad easy to get around in DC tho. the place is tiny and the metro is awesome.

everything costs too much and most of the ppl are lame.

take trips to baltimore.

Apples

Reaction score
I second everything you just said. Although DC used to be cool as fuck like 5-7 years ago. I miss the 666 House and the original Warehouse Next Door.

Apples

Reaction score
I'm on probation in DC till like april, so i'll be around till then. There will be good shows and fun to be had. I'm down to chill and show you around DC and whatnot if you'd like a friendly face.

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
I'm going to be in Richmond for a while. VA is not sp bad

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads