Anyone been to Centralia PA?

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
I been digging around and this place seems pretty neat,has a really odd history and i think under 11 people live in the town which use to be a buzzing town full of life,but after the underground coal mine fire ever since then the town has been crumbling to bits.The fire has been going on underground for 30-40 yrs and alot of sections are off limits to cars as well as placing you and your lovely life in danger,sounds right up my alley though.

Seems interesting and creepy as well as being where that silent hill movie was filmed even tho it was crap,i just love creepy places.And im a big fan of silent hill too.Hell on most maps this town is black listed and there is a damn detour that diverts you away from the town so its kinda of a pain to find,as well as being dangerous with the roads collapsing in and crap.That just makes me want to go even more though!

Here are some links,figured you all would get a kick out of it and check it out as well,other travelers have hit it up too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

I figured this would be the place id go to check out when i unplug and hit the road next month.

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
I was in a town like 50 miles east of centralia, and from what I've heard, even in the towns near by dont know about it, only the very town next to it knows. The roads are fucked you better have a pickup or some off road friendly vehicle. By hike its a long one.

Stay away from those " vents" very harmful fumes come out. As far as the town I've heard there is nothing left behind so no one would come back, and it is prohibited to build there. there are no houses except for a like 10 families that stayed behind. there might be even less now. And since these people live way out there, with no real communication to civilization or any services....might not be a good idea to go un-prepared or get in trouble with them....The sheriff might take a while to show up.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Surely there are roads leading into the main st/ave that are still used daily.According to the stuff on one of those sites the roads are still used daily by traffic so i don't see what is so difficult in getting into the place.I like a sense of danger and all that good fun stuff,makes life worth living for and keeps you on yer toes.

Thanks for the heads up tho.

Far as the 'crazies' go lol i should be alright long as i keep to myself.

MxEx

Reaction score
heard about it two years ago.....apparently some people from new york go out there once a year or so.

Asar

Reaction score
It's about 45 minutes from my hometown. Been there about a dozen times. Really weird place to be at night especially. The whole town has an eerie feel, mostly because there's roads and sidewalks and an abandoned highway, but no people or houses (aside from the few that remain, and the cemeteries). If you're ever in the area definitely check it out.

A2low240

Professional Trespasser
Reaction score
Centrailia is one of the most surreal places I've visited. Alot to take in there. I highly suggest a visit. The roads are literally melting away.
img196.jpg

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Yeah thats really why i wanna check it out.Seems like an epic dangerous place to explore.Its petty neat to think it use to be a town full of life and shops.Now its just empty streets and a few homes lol.

It's on my list of places to check out.Wonder if there are any other towns like this.Doubt it.

A2low240

Professional Trespasser
Reaction score
The government bulldozed pretty much everything when they seized it using eminent domain. Over 2000 people had to relocate. I recommend reading a book on it or watching the documentary before you go.

R

river dog

i love that town. find the old collapsed highway, there is what looks like blotter paper art of cocks up and down the road for a quarter mile-ish.
haha, smoke rising up from the ground and those weird fucking eastern orthodox crosses everywhere...creepy shit walking around there at night eating trippy mushrooms

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads