Any hip hop fans?

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
I know most people on here won't naturally be a huge fan of the genre, for obvious reasons.

But I just find myself coming back to it again and again, even the mainstream rap. I really respect the creativity, and I really enjoy just listening the beats and flow of a lot of artists.

I am turned off in some respects, because the vast majority of things rappers speak on in their music has to do with money, girls,drugs, rich lifestyle, etc., most of which I cant relate too (lol). It also gets kind of old after a while. However, some of them are just speaking on their experiences, which I can respect. Anyway...

Personally, I really enjoy listening to Kendrick Lamar. He is a great lyricist, and he actually speaks on real issues and about his experiences.

But what I wanted to know: Any hiphop heads on stp? What are your favorite artists? Anyone I should give a listen to?

D

Deleted member 8978

Growing up, I have listened to the revolution that started it before it became what it is now. It went back as far as NWA, 2 Pac, KRS-ONE, and even LL Cool J to name a few. It didn't take long to have a tug-of-war between the East and the West, but I still grew up listening to all of that. I got up toward DMX, Cypress Hill, and Eminem and then when the revolution shifted to what is now, it just isn't the same anymore and there is no telling how much old-school stuff you'll be able to find on the radio these days. There is however a throwback hip-hop/R&B station in Jacksonville, FL that I can surprisingly tune into from more than 60 miles away but that's it over here.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I like some hip hop, and even rap from the 80's/90's but the popular stuff nowadays with the same droning mumbling sound, repeating some basic ass lines about some dumb ass shit.. it doesn't interest me at all.

Last edited:

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I know I'm going to catch shit for this, but, Eminem is still one of the best lyricists I have ever heard.

Shit. 80s/90s hip hop is one of the greatest genres ever to grace this earth.

"And I know because of KRS one...."

New "rap" (or "shit", as I like to call it) is a disgrace to Run DMC, Salt n' Pepa, Biggie, Tupac, and Dr Dre. Man I wish they would get back to the roots.....

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also:

Atmosphere, Imortal Technique, Cypress Hill, Beastie Boys, Slick Rick, D12....

Some of the groups I listen to regularly

Reactions: bystander

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
I feel like I a lot of the crustiest of crustlords I've met over the years have been into Hip-Hop to some degree or another (not that everyone here on STP is a crusty, obviously). I've been listening to it for most of my life too (as well as other music that's good). Some of these mumble rap dudes nowadays though leave a lot to be desired (Lil Pump being the first to come to mind) but I still listen to some of it. Mostly because I'm a sucker for the beats/music even if the lyrical content is trash (again, Lil Pump's Boss. Which while I'm on the subject, how the FUCK does that song have so many views in less than three months??) There's definitely a lot of really good newer rappers around though too: Post Malone, Joey Badass, Tyler the Creator, Kendrick, A$AP Rocky, Action Bronson. That Travis Scott song w/ Kendrick Lamar, Goosebumps has been stuck in my head (and playing in the car) a lot lately. Post Malone's Congratulations too. What I think is cool is that a lot of these younger rappers don't seem to really give a fuck about being seen as "Hard" or whatever and even though a good amount of them still rap about "Money, Hoes & Clothes" as Biggie put it, it's not all they're about and there's also a lot of substance and creativity too. Even the repetitive, mumblin' ass, barred out and lean wasted dummmies have some pretty creative and cool sounding shit musically speaking. The drugs that are being used by this younger generation of rappers are a lot different than the shit the older dudes were doing back in the day too (e.g. hallucinogens, Lean & Xanax on top of all the usual tons of weed & booze). Not to say it's just rappers doing that obviously, it's everyone, but I think that it's currently leaving a pretty noticeable mark on the music. I recently heard someone describe the current Hip-Hop/Rap scene as "Rap's Punk phase" or some shit. I don't think that's 100% accurate but it does have some validity to it. It's just that if Rap/Hip-Hop is going through a Punk-like phase it should be called something else. Not that I'm being precious about Punk but that'd be like calling Drum & Bass the "Punk of Techno" or something stupid like that. I think there's more psychedelic aspects to what is going on musically in Rap nowadays than Punk. A$AP Rocky straight up has a song with guitars in it called LSD. You can't do tons of molly/acid/mushrooms and not have it change your music and the shit you're into. Just look at the Beatles. But at the same time I can totally see some of these young guys & girls like Smokepurp, Lil Uzi Vert, Cardi B, Lil Pump, Lil Yachty as the door swinging the other way from the so called "conscious rappers" of the past couple of decades.

TLDR: Hip-Hop/Rap is still cool and inventive and evolving and even if some of it is lyrically devoid of substance the music & beats are still sick. In my opinion, obviously.

If anyone wants a link to a playlist let me know & I'll post it

THEOEHT

Reaction score
I listened to Hip Hop when I was in middle school, realized later how shitty most of it was. I got back into the genre a few years ago with GFE(granola funk express) who helped start the g funk stage at rainbow and combine Hip Hop with every genre from funk and reggae to punk rock. They're a 10 man band with 3 mcs: agent 23, foul mouth jerk and Adam strange.

There's a crew called gurp city from SF that includes a lot of good rappers like topr, z-man, like sick and conceit. Problemaddicts, Aesop rock, the artifacts and 3 melancholy gypsies, are some of my other favs.

FromNowhere

Reaction score
I've been listening to hip hop since the 80's. I don't think there is a genre of music I don't enjoy, but I always come back to hip hop too. Lately in heavy rotation it's been Killer Mike, El-P, T.I., Freddie Gibbs, Wiz Khalifa, 113, Dosseh, S'cred Connexion (last 3 are French groups). I have a Novation Bass Station that I like to make beats on sometimes for a laugh. I think trap has made modern hip hop really interesting again, especially these acts from the South. There's some great stuff out there right now.

Reactions: scntfc
I have moods where I listen to hip hop. It doesn't last very long. Auto tune has made it super hard to understand new rappers but I dig it.. sometimes. Loved Fetty's first album. Drake is alright.. he's more pop though, I suppose. I dig Travis Scott quite a bit.

Talking real hardcore gangster rappers though, I love Eazy-E. The Game is also my other favorite. All his shit goes /hard/. Of course, Dr.Dre too, classic. Clearly real rap comes from the West, doesn't it?

*edit* Kanye's Pablo album was fire too.

Last edited:

AAAutin

Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna need everyone's Top Fives.

Mine's pretty backpacker-heavy, as that's the era I came up in:

5.) Aesop Rock
4.) Talib Kweli
3.) Mos Def (Yasiin Bey)
2.) Kanye West
1.) Nas

Reactions: scntfc

FromNowhere

Reaction score
Top 5 is tough. I mean, I was breaking to Newcleus when that Jam On It tape came out. So many great eras and styles and I don't feel like I'm stuck in any of them per se. I suppose I will pick one fav from each era if possible. In no particular order...Just individual rappers and not groups or DJ's.

-Grand Master Flash
-KRS One
-Rakim
-Tupac
-Freddie Gibbs

Reactions: AAAutin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
BOOOM B$#%^ch

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
you can't compete..

word to your mother...

• Haha
Reactions: Hobo Mud

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Stop... Hammar time@!

cAN'T TOUCH THIS... B

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
sHOOPmlol

Reactions: Coywolf

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I like them round and big!

Reactions: Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads