any good knife suggestions with self-defense in mind | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

any good knife suggestions with self-defense in mind

N

Notmyname

The kabar USMC is like 60 bucks and is a good multi purpose knife. Just don't baton wood cause the tang is full length but is not full width and it can bend pretty easily under that type of stress

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
The kabar USMC is like 60 bucks and is a good multi purpose knife. Just don't baton wood cause the tang is full length but is not full width and it can bend pretty easily under that type of stress

I'm not trying to start a debate so I'll just say this, batoning is a bad idea if you don't know how to properly maintain a knife. If I were @black I wouldn't get an expensive knife for batoning either, unless you're a minimalist and won't lose it. It's much cheaper to get a small axe or kukri.

black

Reaction score
im an axe man for sure. I have an Estwing I just bought and I'm pretty happy with it, as it was cheap and as its all steel it last me a while and not break while im out in the woods and cant get a new one. came pretty sharp so I just rand a sharpener on it and it tore through wood like butter

A

AlwaysLost

I'm not trying to start a debate so I'll just say this, batoning is a bad idea if you don't know how to properly maintain a knife. If I were @black I wouldn't get an expensive knife for batoning either, unless you're a minimalist and won't lose it. It's much cheaper to get a small axe or kukri.

Agreed a decent camp hatchet is 20-30$ and gives you more way versatility and is better for self defense than that little mora...

I'm too weak to carry an Axe but...

I split fire wood with my Laplander saw. Love this trick. Only time I baton is when I'm "attempting" to make a fireboardss for primitive fire.

A

AlwaysLost

I've been hearing really good things about mtech's Bowie knives (specifically the MT-096 and the MT-151). There are a lot of reviews and the consensus seems to be that they are very durable and will hold up to hard use. Also, they can be had for about 10 bucks if you look around.

I broke an 096 pretty quickly maybe I just got a bad model though.

black

Reaction score
I definitely don't favor batoning unless I have to plow thru a big knot in a log or something and even then I would use any knife for that.

N

Notmyname

Completely agree. Honestly I added that bit to poke fun at myself for doing it. But also to point out that it's generally a stupid idea. Unless you have the Becker bk2. I've chopped foot thick logs In half with that fucking thing.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
O u O

It's mostly an exaggeration to make a point, because here's what I figure - people like @highwayman are everywhere. Particularly in the traveling community and homebums. It's not really difficult to pull a knife on the wrong person, and if you don't actually have any idea of how to use it, that person is probably going to mess up your day. Granted, if you are intent on killing somebody, that makes you difficult to disarm, but my hyperbole serves the point that people who have some amount of knife training are common. I don't see how it's worth the risk over a weapon that doesn't require training to really be effective.

I disagree. We're (travelers) not really a big community, so I think the odds are about as high as the rate of homelessness among veterans. (it's almost 10% of the homeless population) Since travelers interact with each other and homebums more than 'normal people', I think the odds of getting into a confrontation with someone like @highwayman aren't all that low. I just don't see any reason to not use a self defense weapon that is more effective, like a 230 million volt stun gun. That will put someone on the floor in a couple of seconds, no knife swinging needed.

it's fun to debate semantics, but in my almost 20 years of experience traveling i have never once met someone trained in knife fighting, much less actually get in a fight with someone trained that way. statistics alone put the chances of that happening at lower than winning the lottery. that's my personal experience, which i trust more than a bunch of debatable 'what if's' in a discussion online.

not trying to be shitty by the way, just saying, this has been my personal experience.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
also, i would just like to say that i think all edge weapons should be legal. especially swords. this would be a wonderful world if everyone was strapped with claymores and katanas...

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
it's fun to debate semantics, but in my almost 20 years of experience traveling i have never once met someone trained in knife fighting, much less actually get in a fight with someone trained that way. statistics alone put the chances of that happening at lower than winning the lottery. that's my personal experience, which i trust more than a bunch of debatable 'what if's' in a discussion online.

not trying to be shitty by the way, just saying, this has been my personal experience.

I concede, you already had me doubting myself. You've made a lot of good points and changed my mind.

also, i would just like to say that i think all edge weapons should be legal. especially swords. this would be a wonderful world if everyone was strapped with claymores and katanas...

And machetes. So versatile.

BadBoBo

Reaction score
Moras are insanely good knives for the buck. I have taken them to blade smiths and they have no idea how they make them so cheap. If you want something a bit more rugged I would go with a
Gerber Paraframe I Knife, Serrated Edge I would post a link but it would be taken down. There less then $20 bucks on sale. It has the cutting edge and teeth for when your edge is gone or for when you just need to cut that pesky can (penny stove for the win).

As for defense if you are amature. I would hold it like so then just try to punch him in the face. Good odds he will doge just enough to get slashed in the face.
KnifeGrip2.jpg

A

AlwaysLost

Moras are insanely good knives for the buck. I have taken them to blade smiths and they have no idea how they make them so cheap. If you want something a bit more rugged I would go with a
Gerber Paraframe I Knife, Serrated Edge I would post a link but it would be taken down. There less then $20 bucks on sale. It has the cutting edge and teeth for when your edge is gone or for when you just need to cut that pesky can (penny stove for the win).

As for defense if you are amature. I would hold it like so then just try to punch him in the face. Good odds he will doge just enough to get slashed in the face. View attachment 37356

I respectfully disagree on the backhand style for beginners its too defensive and skill based. With the adrenaline pumping its better that

Beginners should keep the pointy end facing towards the bad guy at all times. And try to cut first. Even professional knife fights will degenerate into a prison shanking eventually.

The other arm should be turned palm inward and should protect your heart and throat.

Beautiful knife bro what is it?

Last edited:

BadBoBo

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree on the backhand style for beginners its too defensive and skill based. With the adrenaline pumping its better that

Beginners should keep the pointy end facing towards the bad guy at all times. And try to cut first. Even professional knife fights will degenerate into a prison shanking eventually.

The other arm should be turned palm inward and should protect your heart and throat.

Beautiful knife bro what is it?

Not arguing your point. It is a good one. In the style that I recommended a lot of people forget that they have a knife in there hands.

Also I am assuming(possibly incorrectly) that the other guy does not have a knife or a weapon that he is just talking big and bad.

Reaction score
Listen to The guy who said don't pull it unless you are ready to cut someone. Your opponent might have just been taking shit and now he thinks he has to fight for his life. Thusly, you might want a couple small cheap, disposable & easily concealed knives are best. Brandishing it isn't how it is going to save you.If you are being attacked, you don't let them know you have it till you are already cutting them(not even then if you are fast), then escape and CLEAN THEM OFF & ditch them where they will never be found. DO NOT USE LETHAL FORCE AS FIRST RESORT IN STREET FIGHTING ONLY TO ESCAPE WITH YOUR LIFE IF NECESSARY. You may have to explain it to a judge so don't go cutting every drunk that tries to swing at you unless you are in real danger. Anything longer than four fingers is a spicy item likely to get you arrested & is overkill. IF the size of the knife really makes that much of a difference then you re not confident enough with knives and it will likely be taken and used against you, making concealment, speed and violence of action very important. The less proficient in violence you are the sneakier and quicker you must be, no time for threats or brandishing this is for sure.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

Boon Man

Reaction score
For a strictly defensive knife you want to prioritize concealability and accessibility, it really only has to be hard, kinda pointy, and extend from your palm farther than your thumb, and you can kill a person, the most important part is having it ready when you need it. I'd say pick up any cheapo small kitchen knife from the supermarket, then wrap plastic from a water bottle around the blade, hold it over a lighter, and wrap it in tape to make a sheath. Attach that to some cordage and you can loop it through your beltloop and slip it in your pocket, that way the sheath stays attached to you when you pull for the knife. And tada, about as good as you can get as far as concealed carrying a blade for just 3$

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads