Anxiety aka DIY tinfoil hats.

travis

Reaction score
I've been traveling off and on since 2003. When I can afford it. Rag on me all you'd like but I try to make my way with a few bucks here and there. I'd rather not spange if I can help it, but I'm not above doing so. Not all of us can live off of our parents. I do however have a moderately decent relationship with my mother. (Sorry? Seems like that's not the cool thing to say around here.)

Moved out when I was 17... I'm 27 now. Mostly unemployed. I've worked jobs... quit them all on a whim. Wage-slavery is no way to live. Most recently was employed in Portland OR. until May of last year. (Yes, I actually found a job in Portland) Right now I'm in Wisconsin.

Just wanted to introduce myself. Hello. I like this site so far and intend on spending time here when I can get online. I'm socially awkward and don't know what to do with my hands/eyes and feel nearly ill when speaking to people.

I worry too much. It inhibits normal function. But I don't believe in taking medication unless it's the last fucking resort. Drinking, making music, and writing are my therapy. I get bored far too easily and I hate being alone. (Yeah, socially awkward AND a fear of being alone... it's a fucking drag.)

I HATE, HATE, HATE being stuck in one place. There's so much world to see. I just can't understand the mentality of the 9 to 5 lifestyle. Get married, buy a house... blah. Label me what you'd like but I'd rather enjoy my life.

I hope I am welcome here.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
if you were to try to sell DIY tinfoil hats on the street....would they still be "DIY" ? ...hmmmm....but yeah... nice to "meet" you... my ex roaddog had very bad anxiety and i saw how hard it was to deal with seemingly normal situations so i feel where your comin from... luckily STP is a certified anxiety free internet domain so feel free to chit chat and jibber jabber

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I do in fact have a moderately decent relationship with my mother. (Sorry? Seems like that's not the cool thing to say around here.)
:( i love my mother... my dad on the other hand... thats a different question. haha welcome to the site! we're mostly a friendly bunch of asses.

dajdiioue

Reaction score
I've been traveling off and on since 2003. When I can afford it. Rag on me all you'd like but I try to make my way with a few bucks here and there. I'd rather not spange if I can help it, but I'm not above doing so. Not all of us can live off of our parents. I do however have a moderately decent relationship with my mother. (Sorry? Seems like that's not the cool thing to say around here.)

Moved out when I was 17... I'm 27 now. Mostly unemployed. I've worked jobs... quit them all on a whim. Wage-slavery is no way to live. Most recently was employed in Portland OR. until May of last year. (Yes, I actually found a job in Portland) Right now I'm in Wisconsin.

Just wanted to introduce myself. Hello. I like this site so far and intend on spending time here when I can get online. I'm socially awkward and don't know what to do with my hands/eyes and feel nearly ill when speaking to people.

I worry too much. It inhibits normal function. But I don't believe in taking medication unless it's the last fucking resort. Drinking, making music, and writing are my therapy. I get bored far too easily and I hate being alone. (Yeah, socially awkward AND a fear of being alone... it's a fucking drag.)

I HATE, HATE, HATE being stuck in one place. There's so much world to see. I just can't understand the mentality of the 9 to 5 lifestyle. Get married, buy a house... blah. Label me what you'd like but I'd rather enjoy my life.

I hope I am welcome here.
I completely relate to your social anxiety in combination with loneliness. I've been working on the social anxiety side of this for years (my whole life, pretty much) The thing that has probably helped me (most) is connecting with people who are loving and will accept you, whatever "you" happens to be. I was really trapped in my own insecurity, I was one of those women (girls?) who couldn't leave the house without pounding on the make up first. It's crazy to think back now, years later, but I really couldn't. I was scared that if anyone saw me without eyeliner they'd realize I was ugly and hate me. I even used to shave my arms, which was awful because I was insecure not only about the fact that I had arm hair (I have since learned that everyone has arm hair and pretty much it doesn't matter at all whatsoever) but I was also insecure about the fact that I was insecure enough about my arm-hair-having that I shaved it off! I wore sweatshirts through at least two summers because I was afraid of anyone seeing my freakish, hairless arms. The point is, I was really deep in the hole of self hatred. Then I went to high school and realized, hell, people don't actually care! Then I dropped out of high school and went to an un-school for self directed learning called North Star and I realized that the BEST people don't care AT ALL... The kind of people who lay in giant piles together cuddling and dance and mosh together without worrying in the slightest about how sweaty they are or the fact that half of the sweat on their backs isn't theirs... I don't know where I'm going with this, but it's frigging excellent community we have here isn't it?

scatwomb

Reaction score
I hear you on the social anxiety thing - and, shit, I fucking love my mom. She is a badass, super intelligent and emotionally strong - a great woman. In my experience, being open with your thoughts and your anxiety is the best way to cope with it. And, it's not like it's a bad thing, even if it can be extremely difficult at times. I think anxiety can give people a very strong perspective on human emotions and being empathetic and understanding towards others.

Welcome to StP.

Reactions: dprogram

fackshat

Reaction score
I'm socially awkward and don't know what to do with my hands/eyes and feel nearly ill when speaking to people.

I definitely feel you on all of this. Hello, by the way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads