Event - Anti-Civ Gathering in Upstate NY April 28th | Squat the Planet

Event Anti-Civ Gathering in Upstate NY April 28th

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Howdy!
It's been a long winter, and I'm looking forward to celebrating spring with some like-minded souls. I was chatting with some people in an anti-civ forum I frequent, and we were lamenting of the ways in which our perspective has alienated us from other people, even within the "anarchist" milieu. While we spoke of longer-term aims such as establishing a community, or agreeing on a region to move to, one of the first things that is the most simple to do is to just meet up and hang out.
So after asking around, we set up this little gathering:

The date is set for Saturday April 28th, on Stringer Brook in Oneida County, NY state in Clark Hill State Forest. Departure from rendezvous point is 6pm. I'll be staying at least a week, could stay longer. Will be posting this in a few of the smaller anarchist subs looking for anti-civ and egoist types.

Directions and information on Riseup Etherpad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/StringerBrookGathering

If you're going, let me know and feel free to post that you're going on the etherpad. If you're unsure or whatever, give me / the pad a 1-10 possibility of whether you'll show or not.

If you need assistance in getting here, financial or otherwise, get a hold of me and we can figure something out. three one five-271-three eight, two zero is my number.

Drengor

Reaction score
Aha! The moment I've been waiting for!

In the details you mention bringing a bike! Is that how you're going to be traveling onwards from there? Where are you heading afterwards?

I'll see if I can rig one of my bikes up to be a decent touring bike for the 3 day ride down there, but if that fails I'll make it hitchhiking!

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Donald! Hell yes dude! Knew we'd cross paths one of these days, being just a border crossing away. Would love it if you came down. Bike tours are a thing, for sure, afterwards. Not sure where headed but the Erie Canal trail goes from Buffalo to Albany and is a great way to move. Mostly flat and lots of good camping. Am buying a new recumbent trike tomorrow and am hoping to do some long-distance rides for a few months, maybe out to Newfoundland along the Atlantic coast. Or maybe just to the next camp spot after the gathering.

Let me know if you're coming though man!

Reactions: Drengor

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 2626

Man that sounds good. I'll be in north pa then but don't want to say I'll be there and not make it. Is this a beginning of a tribe?

D

Deleted member 2626

Anyway you could share the anti civ forum as well? I like to hear of others who are anti civ but actually live by what they believe

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Is it the beginning of a tribe? Here's to hoping. I'm going to continue having these gatherings as often as possible and in a range of locations until eventually a tribe forms. I'm sick of being alone in my hatred of civilization and know I cannot accomplish the goals I aim for without others. Am also thinking of purchasing a printing press and starting up a hand-printed publication disseminated at trailheads, bars, and the occasional "anarchist" bookstore for the furtherance of the individualist and anarcho-primitivist position and community.

The forum was reddit's /r/anarcho_primitivism. It's the best I've found, even though it is quite small. I wish STP had a section for luddites, doomers, collapseniks, and anti-civ types, but I doubt that would happen.

D

Deleted member 2626

I'm pretty sick of being unable to relate to others too when it comes to lifestyle and views. Theres those who are awake and those who aren't. We PM'd a bit man remember my place isn't far and I'm welcome to any and all who think even similarly.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it's extremely unlikely i'll be able to make it, but if someone would be willing to give a report back here on StP afterwards, I'd be interested (i'm sure there's others too) in hearing how it turned out.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
This sounds rad, unfortunately I won't be back in Upstate until a month afterwards (still stuck in swamp land) but will keep and eye out for future gatherings.

Bet there will be good people and good conversation :) enjoy

Oh yeah and the Erie Canal trail is great! I did it when I was in middle school...would happily do it again as an 'adult'.

Reactions: croc

anyiki

Reaction score
Website
fantasy-spaces.info
def trying to stabilize after that journey in order to make it up, lots to catch up on and get settled first with rust temple and living space so not sure this time :/ but love the idea so SO down, and can't wait to see yall soon anyway any HOW ! andy - hope we can at least meet up for a similar style weekend at ground nut end of the summer ! so many skills to be shared -- and maybe that wild sounding island off cape ???

• Stupid
Reactions: ancienttoes
D

Deleted member 20683

i posted 1/10 because i feel the vibes (partly) and am not far away with transport. i am pretty individualistic in practice if not in ideology, so, we'll see if i can overcome that..! i have a wilderness skills class coming up this month, maybe i'll see if i can convince anyone to come along

edit: oh yeah if anyone is interested in a ride from northwestern MA, let's talk

Last edited:

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested. Been trying to psych myself up to get back outside and this sounds like where I wanna go. I'd be leaving from Coastal MA, if anyone else is going that way and maybe wants to meet up.

Edit: looks like I've recruited one or two homies and possibly a car

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads