Anthracite Coal for winter survival

A

AlwaysLost

I'm not very good at sleeping outside and have been freezing to death, but I've found a solution for cheap. You can buy 40lb bags of Kimmel brand anthracite coal from tractor supply for 6$ (or take it out of a train). Its hard to get started but once it goes it kicks out insane heat and lasts a long time ..4 hours and counting.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
where are you? There's some bad weather in here atm. :(

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
You could teach me a thing or two about keeping coal burning...I once spent the winter in a hut with a coal stove, and I had to bust up damn near every piece of furniture I had to keep that thing ablaze.

I do get nostalgic for that smell, though.

A

AlwaysLost

You could teach me a thing or two about keeping coal burning...I once spent the winter in a hut with a coal stove, and I had to bust up damn near every piece of furniture I had to keep that thing ablaze.

I do get nostalgic for that smell, though.

Im still working on the getting it started part. It wasn't very easy at all to get started but it lasted most of the night once it did. l am going to try and make a rocket stove out of rocks today I will let you know it goes.

I know what you mean about the nostalgia. Last night was the first cozy knight I had. First night Ive slept through.

Last edited:
A

AlwaysLost

Get a bag of regular grilling charcoal and a bottle of lighter fluid.

Start the grill charcoal with the fluid.

Burn for ten or twenty minutes until there is sufficient heat.

Place a few anthracite coals in this bed of coals.

Push the grill charcoal around the anthracite.

Works better than brown paper and kindling.

Thank you I will try that tonight!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads