Anarcho Primitivist Wilderness Commune | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Anarcho Primitivist Wilderness Commune

travelin

Reaction score
well, as for me, im simply too old and too broken down to do this. having just had a stroke im running a little slow lately.

i live in a newer travel trailer and wander around the country working from city to city, region to region.

im also part of a team involved in raping san francisco for as much as we can get out the gate with.

if and when i go off grid it will be on land i already own.

i applaud your zeal and wish all the best for you.

Reactions: ProletarianGuerilla

ProletarianGuerilla

Reaction score
well, as for me, im simply too old and too broken down to do this. having just had a stroke im running a little slow lately.

i live in a newer travel trailer and wander around the country working from city to city, region to region.

im also part of a team involved in raping san francisco for as much as we can get out the gate with.

if and when i go off grid it will be on land i already own.

i applaud your zeal and wish all the best for you.

Thanks. I think I just found a anarcho primitivist community in Oregon.

There has to be people out there like myself. I am 26 where I am just done with civilization altogether.

I have lived in it long enough to know it's all absurd bullshit.

Noble Savage

Reaction score
I have lived in it long enough to know it's all absurd bullshit.

All?...what about the alphabet you just used to express yourself? The written word is a cornerstone of civilization. Are you going to raise your kids not to read and write? Will you tell them the earth is round?
If your wanted for taxes that makes you a liability man, gives the feds warrant.

If your living in fear and distress over the gubberment and its shadow groups then your playing right into their hand. That is what they want. If you want to get back at the establishment don't worry, be happy, live healthy, barter, trade, pay cash whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.

living in the middle of nowhere these days won't keep you safe... just means less witnesses

ProletarianGuerilla

Reaction score
All?...what about the alphabet you just used to express yourself? The written word is a cornerstone of civilization. Are you going to raise your kids not to read and write? Will you tell them the earth is round?
If your wanted for taxes that makes you a liability man, gives the feds warrant.

If your living in fear and distress over the gubberment and its shadow groups then your playing right into their hand. That is what they want. If you want to get back at the establishment don't worry, be happy, live healthy, barter, trade, pay cash whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.

living in the middle of nowhere these days won't keep you safe... just means less witnesses

Geez, I appreciate your concern but I don't view your arguments as substantial enough to keep me controlled on the reservation/matrix.

As for technology I am not against all forms just the kind that enslaves, dehumanizes, and oppresses other human beings.

Reactions: Prometheus

3rdEyeVision

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Where are all the other anarcho primitivists at?

I am calling you all out. Now is our chance to put philosophy into action.

To put the idea of natural resistance into action.

Where are the rest of you?

Am I the only one willing to apply this to action?

I think there are plenty of "anarcho primitivists" that simply understand what that label means and like to associate themselves with the idea that only primitive ways of living were sustainable and they just point the finger at whoever they want and even at themselves but they just keep on going on with participating in civilization and consumption. Most are all talk and criticize all up and down but when it comes to actually doing something about it they don't do shit. Even Alex Jensen and all the others involved in the "deep green resistance" movement aren't doing shit but selling books to pissed off kids that are romantically in love with anything to do with anarchy and chilling on the money they make. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen anything huge come out of that movement. Could be a CIA op if you ask me. I don't know man, I would say fuck calling out, just do the damn thing and whoever joins are the ones who had the strength and courage. I know I do man, I just wanna travel for awhile before I settle down.

hiveranno

Reaction score
At what stage is this project and have u relocated yet? Prior military here with a medical background. Just ended a couple year bush stay cuz the shelter collapsed and the loggers found me on paper mill land. Looking for a place to start over. Five years of wilderness living in the Midwest. Getting ready to head west. Armed, geared and ready to put down some rubber. There a lot of posts like this and they always seem to disappear.. Hopefully cuz the project is rolling.. HMU and let me know the scoop. This is what I'm looking for.

hiveranno

Reaction score
So any forward movement on this? Spot picked out? How many members? Keep us interested up to date for when the time comes, people can make the final decision..

Prometheus

Reaction score
Yea, I'm doing this in southwestern Cascadia (Oregon/Cali border) in the wilderness, the thing about "fighting the governemnt" is, as something of a philosophical anarchist myself, I'm not going to go out and attack cops wih weapons but as a landless peasant, if they invaded the wilderness and attempted to evict me from the camp, my home, I would have to fight back....

C

cavemansailor

I've spent a lot of time living by hunting and foraging in British Columbia, Montana, Idaho and Alaska. In mountainous and northern environments you MUST be a master big game hunter (moose, elk, deer, caribou, seal, whale) if you expect to survive for more than a few weeks, especially in winter.

Southern British Columbia is another story. I also lived with the Nuu-chah-nulth for a couple of summers, and put on more weight on a diet of salmon, halibut, dried seaweed, clams, sea urchins, crabs, smoked herring, herring roe, and a plethora of berries drenched in fish grease (it's actually delicious), but you gotta deal with cold rainy winters and a good boat is a must.

As part of my work in optimal foraging theory, I calculated required range sizes (taking into consideration prey and plant population densities and reproductive rates) to sustain groups of hunter-gatherers indefinitely. With a broad-spectrum foraging strategy in a prime area (think far south USA, savannah near rich bottomlands) each individual might need a MINIMUM of 20 to 200 acres. The farther you go into conifer forests, deserts and arctic, the larger your range sizes per individual become. You are looking at thousands and tens of thousands of acres per person.

The moral is, hunter-gatherers were nomadic for a very good reason. Foragers moved on long before the land was stripped bare of all resources to allow the land to replenish itself. In addition, for a BAND of hunters (as opposed to a solitary hunter) to live a truly primitive existence would require the use of the large-scale primitive food collecting techniques that are largely illegal today and would easily attract attention--game drives, controlled burning of the landscape, trapping large game (and taking far more than is allowed for sport hunting), using gill nets and fish weirs, sun drying of meat on a massive scale, uprooting plants, etc.

After travelling across much of the Americas, in my opinion the best places to live a TRULY primitive existence would be in sub-tropical areas: (you don't even need a bow to get food in these places--you can pick up shellfish, club porcupines and possums!).

1. Lacandon Jungle, Chiapas Mexico (tons of wild food, last virgin rainforest, immense, unexplored, periphery protected by the quasi-anarchist Zapatista National Liberation Army

3. South Texas coast, fantastic climate, warm water, can just wade out and collect crabs, whelks, and oysters by hand by the hundreds, mesquite, prickly pear, spanish dagger, acorns, largest undeveloped barrier island on earth, thousands of uninhabited spoil islands. Fresh water 2 to 3 feet below surface.

2. Southern New Mexico, vast amount of little regulated public land and fantastic climate. Primary foods are mesquite, sotol, agave, yucca, acorns, snakes, lizards, rabbits, porcupines.

Personally, I've always dreamed of living like a chimpanzee--no clothes, the simplest technology, a big group of rowdy buddies, and give up language altogether. It would be fucking awesome, but only feasible in prime foraging areas with a warm climate and very liberal or non-existent local human zombie population.

I've also dreamed in the past of an armed resistance and lets just say I have some major firepower. Then I get to thinking, what would I be resisting? As long as language (and books, the internet, movies) exists along with prime environments, civilization might just pop right back up. Animals (my true role models) don't have organized resistance either. Sometimes they scrounge, or even thrive off civilization's trash (coons, rats, bears, coyotes, etc) or they just straight up eat people every now and then.

I feel you with the anarcho-primitivist dream. It was my dream too for years. But after years of trying, I realized there had to be some kind of compromise. The total rejection of technology began to seem as strangely suppressive to instinct as civilization itself. I arrived independently at the primitivist conclusion after studying linguistics, genetics and watching chimpanzees for hours (I didn't discover John Zerzan, etc. till years later). However, after spending years trying primitive living experiments, and watching animals, I reached a deeper understanding. Civilization is not the buildings, computers, cars, highways, guns and bulldozers. It is a virtual virus that infects your mind, whose sole purpose is to repress instinct so that we function as a huge virtual organism with no purpose other than expansion, like cancer. This was the ultimate freedom. I let my conscious mind go. Stop worrying about insanely complex problems beyond your control. Just live for today like the dumpster diving raccoon.

I dream of community. Yes, the vision of sitting around a fire in a cave wearing deerskins with friends eating a raw deer liver is so visceral, primal, the epitome of living. I've done it, many times. But alone? It sucks. Gradually, since I saw I was convincing no one of the primitivist dream, and was having extreme difficulty living it myself due to game laws and the constant need to go undetected, my vision changed. What if I just lived like a good old fashioned hillbilly, like my mom's side of the family from Tennessee did 100 years ago? What if I lived by commercial trapping, using a truck or bike or sailboat to carry me the long distances between patchwork public lands? Finally I had an idea that worked. I reached the point where I could sustain myself on the smallest amount of money, yet thrive and LIVE. I became an expert hunter and trapper.

Still though, alone. It is going to be insanely difficult to build a community of modern hunter gatherers made up of strangers. You've gotta have that glue of kinship--great aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents. This one still has me stumped. But, I'm not going to worry about it too much. Just live the best I can and still try to reach out to people the best I can. And love every precious minute of my short time on this earth.

For now though, I must content myself with living alone on a sailboat catching fish with a cast net. And building a tarp covered wigwam in the midst of 100,000 spring breakers, teaching them how to eat fish eyeballs, find their own oysters and light cigarettes with the oldest friction fire technique--2 sticks. Build great big roaring fires on the beach which people flock to, share a beer with me, and disappear back to their hum-drum lives. Except for 2 wanderers I met 2 years ago. A barefoot couple who crossed the dunes eating rattlesnakes. But they too vanished on their own way the next day.

roguetrapper

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I repeat something that has already been said or asked.
I spent a few months living in the Amazon Jungle inside of Ecuador last year. I had planned to stay permanently, but got screwed over by the guy I went with. Ever since I got back, I have wanted to just get back out into the wild, but being in the wild alone is something I have yet to experience. With that said, you need to make sure that whomever you go with, you have the same goals and the same ideas in mind. I would love to join on the venture, but want to make sure whoever goes, understands the commitment and has the same idea in mind.
In my research, I have found that if you go to Alaska, your chances of surviving long term are slim. Even the small communities that are there struggle to make it through the winter. The most remote places are in Wyoming and Montana, with Eastern parts of Oregon and Washington also being prime. I would prefer somewhere near the Canadian Border, as far east as the tip of Idaho, reason being, that if caught living in the wild by a park ranger, you risk prosecution. But if you are in Canada, you are less likely to get in trouble by the US.

Anyway, I still am no expert on wilderness living within the U.S., but I would love to set up camp with a few like minded people and live on what we can hunt, gather and grow... Or just talk about it, because I love this shit.

wetcat

Reaction score
I'm in if your still into it. I have knowledge of the Northwest. Northern California mostly. I'm heading into Washington soon. Have most of what I want. I'm working on my buckskin clothes. Either way I want to join you. Pm me and lets talk

C

Cavemansailor

Not sure what ever happened to this thread (I had deleted myself, see 2 posts above for my thoughts).

Well, the sailing/fishing project has come to an end. After a highly successful 6 months of fishing, and a nearly disastrous trip in a gulf storm, one crewmember was arrested and the other two smoked too much pot and mutinied.

The good news is that I am now totally free and ready to head back to the wilderness.

Off trail, deep within the larger National Forest Service Wilderness areas, because motor vehicles are not allowed, it is highly unlikely that you would ever see a park ranger, let alone another human. Plus, it is LEGAL to camp there indefinitely provided that you move camp every 2 weeks. Its also legal to gather firewood and many plant foods, hunt, trap and fish (with a license). However, unless you are a resident of the state the wilderness is in, big game hunting license(s) are usually absurdly expensive and/or issued by lottery. Solutions: 1. Pick a southern state and focus on trapping things like coons and possums. 2. Get a SMALL game license (usually affordable for nonresidents in most states) and become proficient in up-close stealth and ambush hunting using primitive weapons (bow, atlatl) or a .22 rifle for bringing down deer, elk, moose and bear. In northern forests, if you can't bring down a few big game animals per person per year, you are going to starve to death.

I'm thinking the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico but am very open to other suggestions if anyone still reads this!

Last edited:

wetcat

Reaction score
New Mexico would be nice. Haven't been to that part.has anyone thought of just taking trails? There are over 30000 miles of coast to coast trails. Even one that is driveable and never touches pavement. Well maybe once. It would mean walking perhaps with goats. Gathering food and forming small camps with caches along the way.

C

Cavemansailor

Never used the national trails. Walking them while living off the land could be feasible if you only covered short distances each day, or spent a few weeks getting to know each area and stocking up and preserving food sources for the next leg of the journey. Walking 20 to 30 miles a day would drain your fat reserves fast without some high energy food. The toughest aspects would be learning the new environments that you pass through without having the time (years) it could take to truly master them, plus the added difficulty of using trails that are relatively popular with mainstream hikers. I tend to avoid man-made trails and prefer to follow game trails. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've never run into a park ranger, game warden or even another human off trail.

Personally, I'm looking to "settle down" so to speak--hunter gatherers are highly mobile, but within a specific territory and bioregion that they know like the back of their hand--every rock, tree, crevice, cave, spring and stream. For me, that bioregion was the lower Pecos region of the Chihuahuan desert.

New Mexico has a very special resource that is really found no where else in the USA--year-round sources of high-calorie plant food--agave and sotol. It is impossible to starve there. I've traveled all over the Americas experimenting with different bioregions, and when you take into consideration climate, terrain, plant and animal resources, water, available public land and remoteness, New Mexico is right there at the top in terms of offering a prime location where a pure hunter-gatherer lifestyle could be sustained indefinitely.

lenalove206

Reaction score
This is my dream too. I don't have any skills though at the moment so I was planning on spending the next year or two working on organic farms to get in touch with nature, while practicing wilderness skills.

My life goal is to become like a huntergatherer. Nomadic, able to hunt and fish, rely on the land, etc. I have to work until I can get to that point though.

Anyway I wish you all good luck! I'll check back in a year or two and see if you're still doing this, haha. Maybe I can join then.

I've been reading for a while but I made an account just to post on this because this is literally my life goal. Good luck!

C

Cavemansailor

Thanks! Something like the Wildroots community might be a little better place to start than a farm if your goal is to live as a forager. They focus more on primitive skills and foraging. There are also a number of "rewilding" communities in Oregon--I dont agree with their philosophy, but they would be another good resource for learning some skills.

Good luck to you as well!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads