An organic veggie/fruit diet for your furry friend:3 | Squat the Planet

An organic veggie/fruit diet for your furry friend:3

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I posted a thread a while back, asking what others fed their pups on the road most said Raw meats. Not knowing that there are sooo many more options and musts to rounding out a dogs diets. So after some careful research and gathering I made this list. I've never fed my pitbull Kia, raw meats. Shes more muscular and physically healthy then most pitbulls we've come in contact with whom are on a raw meats diet..

Dog veggies

There are a few types of vegetables beneficial for rounding out a dog’s diet. White and sweet potatoes are excellent choices, both providing sources of carbohydrates and vitamins. Carrots benefit a dog’s eyesight. Spinach is rich in vitamins and iron. Alfalfa aids digestion. Cayenne pepper is known to enhance a dog’s circulatory system. Celery quells nervousness. And the following vegetables are known to be tumor and cancer fighters, some noted in laboratory studies: broccoli, celery, carrots and cayenne pepper.

Some Good Whole Foods for Dogs:

* Apples (they contain potassium, which stimulates the immune system, and pepsin, which helps the stomach)

* Brewers yeast (health aid and can help remedy some skin conditions)

* Broccoli (rich in vitamins)

* Carrots (rich in vitamins, great treats to substitute for uhbiscuits)

* Cabbage (rich in vitamins, good for digestive system and skin)

* Cucumber (good for teeth and bones due to potassium content; can combine with carrots to promote a healthy liver and kidneys; in juice form, a good diuretic ... peel cucumbers unless organically grown)

* Celery (chopped or juiced; can help with arthritis)

* Flaxseed oil, fish oil, omega 3 and 6 supplements (beneficial and essential fatty acids)

* Garlic can help remove waste from blood and can help repel flea. Depending on the dog's size, crush from one-half to two cloves a day into their food. By cloves, we mean the small chambers, not an entire garlic bulb. One vet recommends one crushed clove of garlic per every 30 pounds. Note: While many holistic veterinarians recommend feeding small amounts of garlic, some veterinary diet experts advise against garlic because if eaten in quantity, dogs can have reactions (as does the author of this article, even though her own dogs thrive on *small* amounts of it). Some holistic practitioners recommend heating the garlic for easier digestion, and some suggest not giving dogs garlic every day.

* Green beans (lightly steamed; healthy and low-cal treat)

* Parsley (can reduce allergy symptoms and aid kidney function; chop finely or boil parsley and add the juice over food)

* Kale (rich in antioxidants and can help reduce allergy symptoms)

* Green or yellow squash, asparagus and spinach (very healthy; serve chopped)

* Another veggie snack idea: cooked skins from organically grown potatoes

* Bananas (in small quantity; a coveted treat)

* Whole grains including oats, oatmeal, brown rice, millet

* Cereal grasses, such as barley grass, and barley supplements

* Tofu

* Olive oil, sesame oil (a tablespoon a day is good for skin and fur)

* Vitamin B complex can bolster health, calm a stressed nervous system and help repel fleas. A suggested dose is 50 mg of B complex once a day for smaller dogs and cats, and twice daily for larger dogs.

* Preparation suggestions: Many veggies can be served raw, lightly steamed or in juice form. For most vegetables such as broccoli and carrots, it is far better to steam them instead of serving raw for improved digestibility and nutritional value. Also, since dogs have small digestive tracts, you can puree vegetables to enable your pet to digest more. If you use canned vegetables, get the salt-free kinds.

* Organically grown benefits: Due to their smaller size and more compact body systems, pets can be more prone to the toxic effects of pesticide contamination than are people. So it is best to feed them produce that is organically certified, which also has higher nutritional value for everyone.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
My Dog loves banana. Thanks for posting this there's a few things there that I would never have thought of for my Doglet. She eats mostly shop bought Dog food, but I like to supplement with veggies as she has a really sensitive stomach that can't seem to deal with raw meat our bones.

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your very welcome. Kia has a sensitive stomach, as well, so at first I was supplementing along with the kibble. Buying bag after bag got tough on my wallet, so I changed things up, now her and I eat about the same diet. Its healthy and filling. Plus its a whole lot cheaper and safer on your pups pallet.

Shakou

Reaction score
Ma'ii likes apples, lol. Thanks for posting this. I personally feel the raw diet is over rated, and people often get so wrapped up on dogs being carnivores and what they "eat in the wild", that they often over look or don't understand that they need more then just meat to have a well rounded diet. That's one of the reasons I like Blue Buffalo so much, because it has a good balance of everything and has always kept my dogs in awesome shape.

We also add some dry nettles to our dogs food to help protect them against arthritis and cartilage issues that creep in with old age.

wildwerden

Reaction score
Hmm interesting... I've been working at a dog food company with high quality shit, about 80 percent of the protein is animal based, they are strong to emphasize the fact that dogs are naturally carnivores and white rice is better than brown rice for digestion. there's a lot of science-nutrition-chemistry-big-words behind their philosophy that i do not want to remember-recite right now but my dog's been eating it for a few months and damn she's shiny and energetic. i question the idea of excluding meat from a dog's diet (human beings do have the tendency to try to speed-up rush-along evolution). learning about dogs on a scientific-nutritional realm and scoring shit ton of free food, not bad for a job.

K

Kim Chee

Pet foods are balanced to meet nutritional needs. If your doggy isn't getting all it's nutrients, it isn't a good thing. Some dogs crave and consume cat feces in an attempt to satisfy dietary deficiencies.

jaws

Reaction score
Pet foods are balanced to meet nutritional needs. If your doggy isn't getting all it's nutrients, it isn't a good thing. Some dogs crave and consume cat feces in an attempt to satisfy dietary deficiencies.
One time, I was at a backyard party and this cat jumped up on a raised flower bed (high enough to where people could easily watch it like it was performing on a stage). It arched backwards as it began shitting out this long sausage link of a turd in front of everybody. Suddenly before the poop even dropped out of it's ass, the party host's dog went into a craze and started sprinting through the groups of people. It leaped onto the raised flower bed with the cat, and then started garbling down the turd without it being out of the cat's ass for more than a second.

K

Kim Chee

One time, I was at a backyard party and this cat jumped up on a raised flower bed (high enough to where people could easily watch it like it was performing on a stage). It arched backwards as it began shitting out this long sausage link of a turd in front of everybody. Suddenly before the poop even dropped out of it's ass, the party host's dog went into a craze and started sprinting through the groups of people. It leaped onto the raised flower bed with the cat, and then started garbling down the turd without it being out of the cat's ass for more than a second.

Otherwise known as a "hot meal".

Did you just make that up?

Reminds me of a homebum friend of mine who was a verified "camp shitter". His dog would occasionally clean camp (I heard).

jaws

Reaction score
Otherwise known as a "hot meal".

Did you just make that up?

Reminds me of a homebum friend of mine who was a verified "camp shitter". His dog would occasionally clean camp (I heard).

:D

And true story, I was in Oakland at the time staying with some people who rented out an old theater for living.

What a great relationship lol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads