Am I packing the right things? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Am I packing the right things?

D

Deleted member 16701

The can opener and wallet chain are two easy sacrifices imo. I'd just eat outta pop top cans and forget the wallet chain but this is just me. Good luck with your travels!

Chazten

Reaction score
My only recommendation is too look into the water straw style filters rather than the purification tablets! It's all personal preference but I feel that filtering is better than purifying.

Reactions: Testicool
A

AlwaysLost

My only recommendation is too look into the water straw style filters rather than the purification tablets! It's all personal preference but I feel that filtering is better than purifying.

You are correct. Purification tabs are for emergencies not for every day drinking. The chemicals are hard on your thyroid if used extensively plus they don't remove chemical contaminants (fertilizer, petrol, toxic runoff)...prefilter, boil and then filter through a charcoal device is preferable.

If the water is really bad consider adding iodine, chlorine, etc after boiling then filter thru device.

adventurekid

Reaction score
You are correct. Purification tabs are for emergencies not for every day drinking. The chemicals are hard on your thyroid if used extensively plus they don't remove chemical contaminants (fertilizer, petrol, toxic runoff)...prefilter, boil and then filter through a charcoal device is preferable.

If the water is really bad consider adding iodine, chlorine, etc after boiling then filter thru device.
Oh I didn't know that. Thank you

Reactions: piglettino

adventurekid

Reaction score
Okay so I took in suggestions and came up with a better list.

I eliminated some of the clothing and replaced it with a coat, I'm a cold person so I figured that would be better than a bunch of flannels and T-shirts.

I made a post about sleeping bag suggestions, but they're all pretty expensive and the one I have I know for a fact is not warm enough. I guess I just don't know what to do about that still.

And I also don't have a pack yet. My boyfriend said I might be able to borrow one of his, but I'm not sure. Just in case I need some suggestions on what kind of pack I should look into

A

AlwaysLost

If you ever want to layer start with silk or polyester as your base layer followed by a wool insulatory layer then a nylon or goretex windbreaker/rain Pancho.

Tee shirts (cotton) is only good for
Hot temps where u want the sweat to stay on u to help cool u.

If you are going to in a cold climate winter layers work better than coats because if u sweat u can take a layer off.

Sweat/wet leads to hypothermia in cold climates.

Not sure if ull need it but that's the basic way to stay warm down into the subzero temps with the right clothes.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Sounds like your off to a very good start. For me personally I tend to overload my bag when ever I decided to venture out for a very months and I ultimately either lose most of the items I have or discard them to decrease the weight.

I am not a spring chicken anymore and the years are catching up with me so I am unable to carry as much as I once was able to. End the end this all will come down to trial and error. Your own the right path. Good luck in your adventures. Stay safe.........

Reactions: adventurekid

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Sounds like your off to a very good start. For me personally I tend to overload my bag when ever I decided to venture out for a very months and I ultimately either lose most of the items I have or discard them to decrease the weight.

I am not a spring chicken anymore and the years are catching up with me so I am unable to carry as much as I once was able to. In the end this all will come down to trial and error. Your on the right path. Good luck in your adventures. Stay safe.........

adventurekid

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I took suggestions and tried to figure it out some more. I updated my packing list. If anyone could give me and more thoughts or feedback on it, that would be great.

Clothes:
-Black Jeans
-Jean cut offs or athletic style shorts (I'm not sure which would be better)
-2 T shirts
-Thermal long sleeve
-Light weight wind breaker rain jacket
-Heavier coat (I'm really not sure what to get)
-Bandanna
-Beanie
-Brimmed hat
-3 pairs of underwear
-4 pairs of socks
-3 Bras
-Gloves
-Maybe a hoodie or flannel if there is room
-Boots

Shelter:
-Sleeping bag (I got this really awesome one from goodwill that keeps me warm I'm not sure of the brand or the temperature, but it hasn't failed me yet lol
-Paracord
-tarp (I think 8x10 is a good size, Correct me if I am wrong)
-Emergency Blanket

Cooking and food:
-Fork/knife/spoon
-can opener
-mess kit
-Snacks (Probably like protein bars, and I heard about PB2 so I might get something like that)
-emergency food rations
-drink mix
-Water bottles (Is 1/2 gallon enough to be carrying around?)
-Life Straw

Misc:
-Lighter
-Floss and needle
-Headlamp
-Duct tape
-Change purse with cards/money
-Phone and charger
-portable charger
-Ear Plugs
-Sharpie/pen
-Glasses with hard case
-Multi tool
-Pocket knife

Entertainment:
-Deck of cards
-Journal
-Earbuds

Hygiene:
-Small First aid kit (Probably like iburophen and bandaids)
-Toothbrush and toothpaste
-Small handtowel
-Pads/tampons

I will put all of this in my Molle II Field pack.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads