Advice for Showering & Staying Clean | Page 11 | Squat the Planet

Advice for Showering & Staying Clean

Jone

Reaction score
This thread is long. Truckers get points on thier cards when they buy gas. They earn showers at TA's. Instead of spanging for $12, ask a trucker if they have extra showers on their card, some of them don't use them all. They'll bring you a shower ticket. It way faster than spanging for cash. I get free showers really fast, n feel on top of the world, n oh, so clever. That's a 'resource' for staying clean.

Berky

Reaction score
Wow this is an old thread, but I have something to add that I think will help. Ladies, buy yourself some feminine wipes! These are good for keeping 'down there' clean and your pH balanced and you can use them for other parts of your body if needed (armpits, or face, just not in that order!)
They are also very compact and individually wrapped so you can stash a few at the top of your bag and the rest in the big compartment of your bag for later use. The only downside I see to these is that they aren't flushable, but because each wipe comes in its own package, you can just put them back in and throw them out later. I haven't traveled quite yet so I have no idea how effective they are, but they have gotten me out of a pinch in my everyday life before. If you're wondering, I use Summer's Eve brand wipes. They are not too strongly scented, which I like. Certainly worth a try!

If anyone does this, let me know how it works out. :)

D

Deleted member 20975

Thought id throw my exes homeade toothpaste in here. This is her recipe...

Measurements are not fixed or precise, measurements vary depending on the Jar being used.
For an average small jar:
4/6 Baking Soda
1/6 (+a little bit more) Bentonite Clay
1-2 tsp Turmeric (tooth whitener)
1-2 tsp Ground Sage (antiseptic)
1 tsp Salt (good for enamel)
12-16 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
10 drops Rosemary EO
5-7 drops Tea Tree EO (optional, may be strong for some to handle but good for your teeth)

STIR dry ingredients well.
THEN add the Essential Oils, and stir.
THEN add a little water, slowly, and stir it, do not over water!!!!
Mix it well until a paste forms. If you put too much water slowly add more baking soda.
You can flavour it with Cinnamon, or careful consideration of other EOs.

(The ingredients are usually bought bulk so its something you would need to store and take a container of finished product on the road probably. I find that recipe pretty bitter and earthy, more flavour would be my recomendation but it depends on your pallet)

Last edited:

siid

Reaction score
Some suggestions that may or may not have already been said:

Planet fitness membership 20$/month you can go anywhere in the country, use the shower.

Free gym trials (CRUNCH, 24 hour fitness, local gyms) can be a day, few days, a week: Use the shower

Just scrub. Use a wash cloth or some shit, the odor and dead skin cells linger no matter how often you shower if you dont scrub.

If you arent able to change your underwear often, use pantiliners, at least you can change those more frequently and you can get a pack for under a dollar. Discharge is real out here.

I dont know about you but even if Im down to negative dollars, dont got a dime, dont got shit, dont got food, dont got the will to live, I still got a jar of coconut oil. Oil pulling: git a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth every morning and swish it around for 10-30 min then spit it out. You can use coconut oil to moisturize your skin, and your hair before washing it. Might be ragged, might be broke, might be starving, but still out here lookin fabulous and serving face, you heard.

IFFFF you struggle with acne, cycstic acne, hormonal acne, clogged pores, problem skin like me, i breakout from fuckin breathing and cystic pimples hurt like a bitch. Get samples at Sephora, they’re free, get a bunch, collect them, steal them, whatever you wanna do. Depending on how my face feels like fucking up, I collect several samples of the same product so i dont have to carry a big ass bottle of somethin depending on if its for hormonal acne or whatever, or just to purge my pores like irish moor mud, or a microdermabrasion scrub and keep it in my bag. Yea i know this doesnt apply to most of you and you can eat whatever you want and roll around in trash all day and you never thought about a pimple in your life, but some of us aint as lucky! :p

Goldenvoid

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Dollar store is great for shower in a bottle . Rubbing alcohol is perfect for a lot of uses. 70% is good without drying out the skin too bad. Plus cleaning cuts and scrapes. Start cook fires.

Goldenvoid

Banned
Reaction score
Hood River Oregon on hwy 87 outside of Stumptown has a marina with 25c for minutes shower. Open from May till oct.

Reaction score
Some suggestions that may or may not have already been said:

Planet fitness membership 20$/month you can go anywhere in the country, use the shower.

Free gym trials (CRUNCH, 24 hour fitness, local gyms) can be a day, few days, a week: Use the shower

Just scrub. Use a wash cloth or some shit, the odor and dead skin cells linger no matter how often you shower if you dont scrub.

If you arent able to change your underwear often, use pantiliners, at least you can change those more frequently and you can get a pack for under a dollar. Discharge is real out here.

I dont know about you but even if Im down to negative dollars, dont got a dime, dont got shit, dont got food, dont got the will to live, I still got a jar of coconut oil. Oil pulling: git a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth every morning and swish it around for 10-30 min then spit it out. You can use coconut oil to moisturize your skin, and your hair before washing it. Might be ragged, might be broke, might be starving, but still out here lookin fabulous and serving face, you heard.

IFFFF you struggle with acne, cycstic acne, hormonal acne, clogged pores, problem skin like me, i breakout from fuckin breathing and cystic pimples hurt like a bitch. Get samples at Sephora, they’re free, get a bunch, collect them, steal them, whatever you wanna do. Depending on how my face feels like fucking up, I collect several samples of the same product so i dont have to carry a big ass bottle of somethin depending on if its for hormonal acne or whatever, or just to purge my pores like irish moor mud, or a microdermabrasion scrub and keep it in my bag. Yea i know this doesnt apply to most of you and you can eat whatever you want and roll around in trash all day and you never thought about a pimple in your life, but some of us aint as lucky! :p

I have really oily skin and im prone to blackheads alot, and yeah i do get a few pimples a week, still not alot like some people, but it does bother me too, thanks for the advice thou :)

Reaction score
This thread is long. Truckers get points on thier cards when they buy gas. They earn showers at TA's. Instead of spanging for $12, ask a trucker if they have extra showers on their card, some of them don't use them all. They'll bring you a shower ticket. It way faster than spanging for cash. I get free showers really fast, n feel on top of the world, n oh, so clever. That's a 'resource' for staying clean.

thats a smart and awesome idea! but i dont if they do that in my neck of the woods in northern ontario, canada.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
One facility I am familiar with is an equestrian center. This center operates a lot like a public park - regular but seasonal hours, lots of parking, good access...

The bathrooms located within the horse stalls each had showers. Probably for people covered in horse shit to wash off, though I know these restrooms are regularly maintained. The horse show / race season was at an end, so they would be locked up soon. The stalls had lot of open, unlocked access... great squatting if you don't mind horses and early morning maintenance crews.

I don't know if it's worth driving out of your way to check out your local equestrian center or public horse track. I'm just posting to add one more bullet point on a list of places to shower.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
If you have poor hygiene, you're gonna get pushed out of a lot of places, and people won't let you use their restroom. Dirty feels gross, even cats groom, it just seems like a good idea.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
A traveler friend of mine swears by those expensive hiking clothes. He said the anti-microbial pants/shirt/underwear that you can get at REI are worth it. He swears he can get away with 2 months no shower AND not stink. Any input on that from others that have tried these anti-microbial clothes ?

REI gear is expensive but awesome.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
if you can't believe this convo, why are you in it trolling? Obviously a lot of people are finding it helpful.

Reactions: Prophetess333

Prophetess333

Reaction score
A lot of things can be solved by simply taking a shower. Wherever and whenever you can. Being dirty doesn't give you crust punk points or make you ride trains better. It makes you smell like shit and contract skin diseases like staph and MRSA. So the biggest thing to do is take a shower once or twice a week or whenever offered. Remember you don't lose crust punk points if you do!

MRSA is very scary! I actually got it from folks in Fla who didn't go to a dr (smh!) And i had a small cut from a crab trap & my ex and i ate over their house that night.
I had to go to the Dr's and have the infected flesh cut out, few days later the packing in my thumb ripped out by idiot hospital. Then constantly have to change dressings. It's definitely not something one wants to catch while traveling.
It's curable, now I've a dent in my thumb to add to my scar collection.
But yeah, i caught it from someone who lived in a 'house'.

Prophetess333

Reaction score
Baby powder is good for feet and you can "wash" your hair by brushing it through it.
Tea Tree oil shampoo or body wash good for preventing parasites to lice.
If you get pure (100% tea tree oil) it needs to really be diluted with shampoo, bodywash or another oil (i.e. witch hazel). You can also add to laundry detergent.
Please know it's toxic for pets & do not ingest.
(I think i posted about tea tree oil before, yet I've been using it a lot as of late so I'm on a kick please forgive me l)

Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 20975

Dont know is this is posted here yet....
It may not be everywhere but i know in alot of places campgrounds have pay showers. Usually a dollar for 5 minutes around here. I have called and asked places if i can come off the road and use their showers. Pointless. Just walk onto the property, they usually arent locked or have security during the day (too many people running in and out) gind the showers, and have your coins ready. Some have code doors, but its easy enough to go in as someone comes out. This wont work at every campsite but ive had good luck with it so far.

David1

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of things can be solved by simply taking a shower. Wherever and whenever you can. Being dirty doesn't give you crust punk points or make you ride trains better. It makes you smell like shit and contract skin diseases like staph and MRSA. So the biggest thing to do is take a shower once or twice a week or whenever offered. Remember you don't lose crust punk points if you do!
The YMCA nationally has now changed its policy to allow people who need a shower to get one for free or a nominal fee as long as its not a pattern . Being a member of one Y gets you access to the other 1,500 Ys across the USA and Y membership is as cheap as 30.00 a month.

Persimmon

Reaction score
Being a traveler doesn't mean that you have to be dirty or stinky.
Personal hygiene is important no matter where you are.
Bathrooms are available just about everywhere these days.

Spongebaths are helpful, and make a world of difference, until there's capabilities of taking a real shower. Staying clean is healthy, in tons of ways.
If you're worried about bugs use unscented soap, and if you want to smell more more like nothing at all you can get scent away soap.
Hunters use it to mask their scent and not scare the animals.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads