Adjusting back to normal life | Squat the Planet

Adjusting back to normal life

Johny

Reaction score
I recently just got into a relationship and housed up after four years on the road solid .
I was wondering if anyone else has ever had problems adjusting back to normal life and food and relationships.
Like I don't feel I fit in with anyone , it feels weird staying in one place and food upsets my stomach .
I haven't unpacked my pack in two months and I still sleep with a knife.
I've been stressed beyond belief and just on edge.
I guess I'm a little ruff around the edges and have a quick temper now and it just feels strange doing family things and being around kids and doing family activities ect.
Trying to adjust and trying to hold on to this relationship , but IDK if I've actually hanged so much that I'm doomed to just drift forever.
I've traveled most of my life on and off but four years solid was my longest trip.
I was around a ton of drugs death murder and just shady ppl and now I just look at everyone like there trying to lie or steal even if there not .
Kind of looking for a way to turn it off and don't know how

Johny

Reaction score
Yeah man, everything is way tuffer than I thought.
Of course I didn't mean to be out for four years either

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
It's a bitch decompressing after that long on the road. Hell, it was fucked up for me when I was beating the backroads in my 20s and would come off the road for a few months to gather some money.

Keep your mind as occupied as possible. Even if you're doing menial shit like washing dishes, researching for your next venture or working some day labor, keeping yourself busy and making each day different will help you adjust from road life to tied-up life.

Johny

Reaction score
It's a bitch decompressing after that long on the road. Hell, it was fucked up for me when I was beating the backroads in my 20s and would come off the road for a few months to gather some money.

Keep your mind as occupied as possible. Even if you're doing menial shit like washing dishes, researching for your next venture or working some day labor, keeping yourself busy and making each day different will help you adjust from road life to tied-up life.

D

Deleted member 14481

Things don't have to happen in a hurry. It sounds like your stressed out and anxious. Is it really just decompressing from traveling for so long, or are there deeper concerns?

Johny

Reaction score
Well I have both , just got contacted by my son after 18 years this week and going through some relationship stuff.
Plus I've had anxiety PTSD and depression since 1997 .
There is allot going on

D

Dayoldpizza

Transitioning even for a few months in a housing situation to long term can be a mental struggle.. since seeing the system of class separation all over being on foot & labeled as a transient makes it easy to feel trapped. Usually it's when looking for a job, just remember society's mind games are real, placing you low on the totem pole for work,housing & a low self esteem/self worth from the monetary system. Do not let this strategy fool you ...that's how they win.
Keep your self busy, ride a bicycle, read books,art projects, make wheat paste posters, silkscreen, garden etc etc ... heavily recommend a way to exert energy.
Good luck

Johny

Reaction score
Volunteering locally in some way helping people living rough will give you an opportunity to feel useful. Maybe you'll form connections with people you have more in common with than the "new life" folks you're worrying about.
The new life folks I'm worried about are the woman I'm engaged to and her kids

Reactions: Marc ebach67

Johny

Reaction score
Transitioning even for a few months in a housing situation to long term can be a mental struggle.. since seeing the system of class separation all over being on foot & labeled as a transient makes it easy to feel trapped. Usually it's when looking for a job, just remember society's mind games are real, placing you low on the totem pole for work,housing & a low self esteem/self worth from the monetary system. Do not let this strategy fool you ...that's how they win.
Keep your self busy, ride a bicycle, read books,art projects, make wheat paste posters, silkscreen, garden etc etc ... heavily recommend a way to exert energy.
Good luck
I'm wanting to start playing bass again and all I have right now is video games lol

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Did you ever hop freight? Railfanning might be a good hobby to keep you out there but still be able to go home at night.

I'm fucking weirded out every season when I go back to work and get housed up. But I know I can get back out there again.

This was my BIGGEST fear when I started traveling. That I would get accustomed, and addicted. It happened. I'm gonna roll with it....

Last edited:

Johny

Reaction score
Did you ever hop freight? Railfannig might be a good hobby to keep you out there but still be able to go home at night.

I'm fucking weirded out every season when I go back to work and get housed up. But I know I can get back out there again.

This was my BIGGEST fear when I started traveling. That I would get accustomed, and addicted. It happened. I'm gonna roll with it....
Oh yeah I hopped lol

Reactions: Coywolf

OBIWAN616

Reaction score
I am sentenced to a job and live at a halfway house, and yes THEY WILL get you from anywhere, I know from experience, I could never live a "normal" life unless sentenced by a court of law with prison time over my head, once you live the life of freedom, why ever go back??????????

Johny

Reaction score
I feel you are right [QUO
I am sentenced to a job and live at a halfway house, and yes THEY WILL get you from anywhere, I know from experience, I could never live a "normal" life unless sentenced by a court of law with prison time over my head, once you live the life of freedom, why ever go back??????????
TE="OBIWAN616, post: 265418, member: 23478"]I am sentenced to a job and live at a halfway house, and yes THEY WILL get you from anywhere, I know from experience, I could never live a "normal" life unless sentenced by a court of law with prison time over my head, once you live the life of freedom, why ever go back??????????[/QUOTE]

Johny

Reaction score
Man i think I'm loosing my fucking mind , seriously thinking of ditching house girl kids job and hopping west again

Dmac

Reaction score
Hope it gets better for you. I find getting stoned helps with being housed up.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads