A use for all those spent lighters you find beside the road... | Squat the Planet

A use for all those spent lighters you find beside the road...

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Figured id post this up as i find this kinda stuff fun.I found an old spent lighter yesterday beside the road as i was ridding my bike and i figured id write up a how to_On how to get a fire out of one of these pieces of garbage you find all along the road.

With my own firestarters i can actually get ignition with just a spent lighter.But ill cover that later if this is a hit lol.

Anyway tools for the job are your basic multi tool and of course the lighter.

Pictures explain the rest i think.

2ev6ecp.jpg

14e50lk.jpg

Now pry up on the tab and it should just lift off.This will allow the sparks to fly outward instead of incasing them and blocking them from getting outside.

2aewbgk.jpg

Now you'll wanna remove that annoying steel safety clip that goes over the wheel.I just take it by the front of it and bend it outwards it usually comes right out after you bend it far enough back.Just grip the sides of the wheel so the wheel and flint don't go flying out as you do this.

30ljx5i.jpg

Now this is what you should have left after you have taken all the previous steps.Congrats now all you need is a piece of charcloth.You can google how to make that if you want.I just use a altodes tin with a hole in the top to vent the gases out.And i just use denim that i cut into squares.All you are doing is carbonizing the denim into carbon.The fur traders have done this method for generations.

9h1fd5.jpg

v6i35i.jpg

No sending those sparks onto a piece of charcloth then all you need to do is build a tender bundle.Since im in FL pinestraw is a joke to use.But you can pretty much use anything from dry leafs to very small twigs.It does require practice but its worth it since you have another way to make fire.And this is all made from materials you can find beside the road or on any trip.

4l21hj.jpg

303a1d2.jpg

Look at all that charcloth plus Flint rod.

1e9oxj.jpg

Firepiston/Doan Mag bar

2zs2yhy.jpg

Hopefully y'all enjoy this and use this.Like i said before all these materials are found beside the road or in the garbage.I just decided i would do a write up on this and give back to the community.

Maybe next ill do a write up on my firestarters i use that work below 20F.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
good info bro... also add, if u dont have char clothe, roll the wheel backwards, slowly over a piece of combustible material. little flakes of flint and steel will scrape onto material. now aim sparks at flint/steel powder.... wah'la...... flamage

• Useful
Reactions: IAmThePoisonIvy

East

Reaction score
I usually go ahead and take the guard off and use it until it's dead. After it's dead I then flake off some flint into a piece of toilet paper and ball it up into a small part and just make some sparks. Lights up quickly.

Here's a good example:

Preacher

Reaction score
I pop out the flints and use them in my zippo. There is usually so much there that I have to use my knife to break it into two pieces. On a rare occasion they're too fat, but usually do the trick.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads