News & Blogs A travelling gypsy restaurant of curious cabaret and magical trinkets

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i found this here:
http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/07/14/13-things-i-found-on-the-internet-today-vol-lxxxii

and i thought it was a fucking sweet idea. there should really be some kind of traveling version of this we could do :p

3. A travelling gypsy restaurant of curious cabaret and magical trinkets
720x480xpalebluedoor6.jpg

700x1051xpalebluedoor.jpg

1000x1501xpalebluedoor1.jpg

720x480xpalebluedoor7.jpg

960x720xpalebluedoor3.jpg

A British set designer took his love for art, added some food, and opened a temporary travelling pop-up restaurant — made with scrap materials scavenged from the streets (pictured above, the motel/ restaurant set up at Glastonbury Festival). The Pale Blue Door is currently in its last season before the mastermind set designer Tony Hornecker moves on to new projects– restauranteurs take note.

Reactions: wizehop

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
a british double decker (or building one) might work..
the thing to do would be to contract with local restaurants to serve under their license..
food service regs are fucking strict, & wisely so, to a certain degree..

but.. dig this.. if you had a bus that could cast as kitchen, & take locals or visitors to places you could never ordinarily get to, for a nice dinner out?
fuck yes, it could be done..
the worst work would be contracts, but if there was a smallish alternative restaurant, willing to gear up with a bus kitchen for exploring culinary translocation?

fuck yeah, it could be done..

it would be one thing to go from place to place & try to scrounge up customers..
another thing entirely to start small & build a rep..

another possibility is festies, but i dunno.. really dunno about that one....

this was done by a set designer, so it seems it's more art than actual.. that the life of the art is the constraining factor, rather than the length of function..

sure, you can do a romantic artsy-fartsy gig & ooohhh & ahhh, but rigging a set like that would be way more involved & complex than a food van..
although.. man.. i'm sure you learned enough to get a get-go start from the fucks in okie to know what to look for as far as serving licenses go..

fucking assholes...

beauty is a sweet thing.. food is sweet, that way, too.. & light...

this is a very super good fucking idea..

if it is true a singular food vending vehicle can move from state to state, independently, & cook up & feed.. well, shit.. yeah..

i'd think there'd be inspection requirements, but if.. if it's just a matter of meeting food service vehicle specs, that should be shit easy...

fuck, man..

serving food on a pulloff, here & there, or up in the mountains, while the stars sing down?

anyways..

honk if you love whatever..

c

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads