a late introduction from a lurker

sheepflip

Reaction score
Oh hi, I'm Ben. Made an account here after some life happened and have mostly been lurking since. Hopefully reading through threads, discord, resources, and the library in that time means I won't ask so many dumb questions. Will still happen though, am dumb.

I'm a mainer who's finally sick of long winters. I had agreed to dog / farm sit for some friends earlier this year and by the time that wraps up, it will be harvest season. Am trying to get something lined up on my way out of the northeast. I've got my gear together, have been going for long hikes and stealth camping. Trying to find out what does and doesn't work before it matters.

I spent a week hiking in the southwest years ago and liked it there. Have a few places in mind but who knows? I'll try to hitchhike, but will have enough for bus fare or rideshare if I'm really ready to gtfo. Would prefer that be extra food money though.

Probably will look more hiker trash than punk if you see me out there. Will try to remember to take a new profile photo with my ugly mug in it.

sheepflip

Reaction score
Guess my post didn't say much about me. Politically, I'd call myself an anarchist if so many shitheads hadn't called themselves or been labeled that over the years. Honestly try to avoid political talk as much as possible. Try to stay out of the culture war too. More concerned with spiritual matters these days.

Still smoke weed but should stop, Wouldn't have to twist my arm to drink a cup of shroom tea. Try to steer clear of other stuff tho. Been off opiates for 15 years, tobacco for 10, no booze since February, no caffeine in 8 weeks. Fewer habits make life roughing it easier.

I used to raise sheep, thus the username, hadn't accepted the loss yet in 2017. Illness -> job loss -> divorce -> no more home and farm. It's an old story. Would change my username if I could, didn't want to create a second account and break da rules. These days I go by BenForgot online, or just Ben.

Have done a little conventional travel on the cheap. Spent six weeks in Britain in '98 and four weeks in and around Kyoto in '04. Some travel in the states, and a lot of exploring Maine's woods and trails sums up the rest. Everything involved a lot of walking and hiking.

roughdraft

Reaction score
awesome bro nice intro

congrats on the habit reduction. im workin on it (again) 3 weeks no tobacco, 5 or so weeks no alcohol. still abuse caffeine though.

you prolly wont be passin thru Maryland but I'll prolly be here for a couple months at least. hmu

Reactions: sheepflip

LEAN

Reaction score
Welcome! I've never been up to Maine but I heard the winter sucks.

I am planning to leave in the next month or two, if you make it down to New Jersey area I can try and link up with you for part of the journey. Hope everything works out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads