A few questions about slab city.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
So throughout my insomnia I've been doing some research into slab city and I've got a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with.

1. Shelter.

I don't have a car, much less an RV or van. How will I work out the shelter issue? As in what can I use to provide myself with shelter? Will a sleeping bag do or do I need a tent? And if I do need a tent what kind?

2. Supplies.

I've looked at the maps. I know Niland is 3 or 4 miles away. Let's say I have a medium alice pack (which I do). What kind of supplies do I need? Water is an obvious one. And from doing some research I know that there is a hose behind the niland market, but let's say I make the trip to niland 3-4 times a week. Is that enough? I figure I can carry 10-15 pounds of water and food (maybe less if I need a tent). So how does the food and water balance out? What kinds of food do I need? Are there any other supplies I need?

3. Internet.

How and where can I access the internet? CAN I access the internet?

4. Where to camp.

Where in slab city is it best to camp without a vehicle?

I plan on going to slab city within the next 2 years so this is long-term planning.

Thanks.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
The food depends on what you like, I think you can use a tent but not sure, as far as the internet just go to Niland's public library and as far as to where to set up a tent in Slab City not sure. There was anther post about Slab City going legit but let's hope not.

Reactions: Tude
K

Kim Chee

I haven't been at the slabs. I'll go as far to say that your greatest resource is those who are already there. My personal custom is to bring something whether it be cash, goods, effort or a combination of these things...just as I would do anywhere else.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
You can set up a tent anywhere.. I wouldnt want to stay there without a tent or at least some sort of shade during the summer. also i didnt see any snakes or spiders there this winter, but in the summer i think you would have more chance of waking to a rattlesnake in your sleeping bag..[see img.1]

there is a small grocery store about 3 or 4 miles down the road from the slabs. its in the neighboring town of niland. pretty easy to catch a ride down there and back whenever. you cant find free water from a hose anymore as of january 1st.. but the grocery store i was talking about has one of those gallon refill machines and its about 30cents for a gallon jug. niland overall is a wasteland though. other than the store there is a laundry mat, a diner, and a dumpy highway motel. everything else is houses or abandoned. [see img.2]

the internet cafe has internet, coffee, and even power outlets (on sunny days).. met some cool folks who were running things around there.
the library seems great from what i hear, the girl who stepped up has helped bring things back together.. its a good collection and its only getting better. [see img.3a/b]

1: our campsite in a empty stretch between some large bushes.
internets-2084web.jpg

2: the nearby town of Niland and it's beautiful scenery......
internets-2275web.jpg

3a/b: Slab City Internet Cafe. outside & in.
internets-2359web.jpg

internets-2353web.jpg

hope this helps.. also i added the photos for fun.. they are from january of this year.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
as far as the internet just go to Niland's public library

the niland public library closed around 2009. it hasn't been around in a long time.

1. Shelter.

bring a tent.

2. Supplies.

anything you would take camping take to slab city. there's a decent grocery in niland and a faucet to fill water.

3. Internet.

i personally set up the internet for the oasis cafe, which was basically the first place in slab city to get (non-cellular) internet. if frank's internet cafe is still there, go there, but be warned i've heard he's kinda a racist asshole. otherwise, you can get internet at the oasis cafe if you're a member ($20/year) and $5/mo.

4. Where to camp.

pick a spot. really. there's plenty of space, and no reservations. just don't camp on someone else's spot; it'll be marked by a square of rocks showing the border of their 'property'.

lastly, the ideal season is from late september to early april. after that it gets way too hot and everyone leaves. also, scorpions start coming out around march/april, so be careful. they're not deadly but you'll get sick as hell for sure.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
check out this gal, she is at the anarchist library there right now.

i only had time to briefly scan through that video, but i swear i've hung out with that girl before (probably in the slabs). no idea what that library/kitchen thing was about, i don't recognize it.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Matt Derrick your above posts are very useful and informative. Resourceful person you are it seems... strong with the force. Thanks. I will keep it in mind. Though at my rate of chrysalis... I will probably have to get in underground and find the new slabs... I really hope these don't go away or change so much that free thought is smothered.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i remember now, we hung out and drank while her and her bf were camped around one of the painted concrete circles in slab city. nice to see someone that actually cares is in charge of the library now, it used to be fucking epic. i heard the lady that started it was buried in the front yard. i wonder if cornielius knows that? :p

Dmac

Reaction score
some of her earlier videos (she only has a few, all from this year) show her camped by those @matt. the rear end of her van went out, so she is kind of stuck there. you would probably like her other videos.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
On the note of Slabs - Does anyone know if Imperial County (Niland, etc) and Yuma, Az (Yuma County) have misdemeanor extradition laws despite the state line since the counties are bordering? I've heard such in passing, and thus, have strayed away from the area.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads