38 foot Trimaran in East TX needs punk crew

Ameris

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
Now, "punk crew" may he an oxymoron..
Old geezer (60) looking for folks (6 to 10 others) to help with / crew SV "Ameris"..
Various info below:

She was gifted to me in an incredible instant, hiafter looking for precisely Her for a number of years.
Her bones are good, but she needs a lot of skin & trim.
Nothing pretty, but core.
Makeup comes later, if at all ; )

May be willing to offer live-aboard and a stipend/wage after proof of service.
Animals are not non-negotiable, but they are a complication

Looking to finish by about the beginning of March or sooner. She really doesn't need very much, other than a bottom job & some deck work. Definitely Gulf/Atlantic sailable, perhaps deep ocean cruising, also (trans-Pacific).
Just obtained her, so these are the main existing links:

And:

I'm busy working on her, so not a lot of time to post new stuff.
Like I said, possible live aboard & minor wage for proven crew member(S) before sailing, on day to day basis.
She's actually large enough to outfit 4 people for up to 6 months, minus water.
Anyways, there you go.
Any advice on the intro is welcome.

A

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
man those trimarans are great boats. but i think you forgot to mention WHERE you are?

Ameris

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
Ohhhh yeah...
Was looking at the link when posting (which says Dickinson, TX), and plumb forgot.
Yep, Dickinson, TX (east), not far from the Louisiana border, and about 20 miles NW of Galveston.
I-45 is nearby, also.
She's moored on the Gum Bayou, and there's a dry dock just up the waterway.
I'm not sure how pretty I'm going to try to make her, but with some decent work she should be good for another 5 years or so.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Hudson

Reaction score
How long are you hoping to go out? And when? What kind of experience are you looking for someone to join?

I've been wanting to learn how to sail for awhile now, just don't want to invest in a boat if its not for me. Kinda need to find a way to get my feet wet.

I have a 30lb lifting limit on my dominant arm, which is the only thing I know holding me back. I'm not even sure if I could run sails with that kinda limit. Dr said grip strength was 90lbs, which is quite shy of my 180lbslbs pre injury.

Ameris

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
At sea I imagine the main thing is to not fall overboard & be able to keep watch.
I need construction & restoration help with the boat at the present moment.
That means a brain & the ability to hand off tools & at least keep a board in place.
As I've noted in the punk sailing section, I'm going to look for local help, at the moment. Topside & interior need about 60-80 hours, just about full speed, depending on the detail of results desired.
The hull, inboard & outboard need another 40, maybe less.
So roughly 120 hours, if nothing bites like a ravenous shark.
3 weeks, more or less.
The dry dock is about 1/2 mile away. $550 to haul her out, but then $40 a day ($1200 a month -yikes!!!) to dry store her.

All of this, barring a hull that is shot, is *funded*.

Tools are reasonably plentiful, as are supplies.

First draft beyond the Bayou will be into the gulf shallows, then the Caribbean, possibly the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, & St. Thomas.
If that full cruise is successful, and show her bones strong, then serious Blue Water.

All the main wood I have seen so far is strong. She's a fiberglass and wood core hull that shows little dampness in the hull, other than the (potentially fatal) aft keel boss, where the prop bearing (previously inboard diesel, now outboard gasoline) meets either the boss or the bearing seal.
This is to be examined.
Topside work is commencing first because this is what was in progress & would suffer most if it were abandoned without finishing.
In any case I've been on her for a week, gathering & utilizing materials, tools, information, strategies & advice. So far it is going well.
This week has seen completion of topside epoxy ($150 a fucking gallon) prior to fiberglass skinning. Next week, with luck, will see application of cement paint to match existing, although I may drydock first.
Shallow water Gulf / Carribian could pull as many as 12.
Far bluewater, probably 6, max, for a 6 month or more voyage.

• Agree
Reactions: Hudson

Ameris

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
Prepping to fiberglass the new deck to hull.
Finishing the sanding and filling for the deck cutoffs, today, filling gaps & epoxying overlap areas. Rebuilt a couple of sections of overcut.
Photos on camera, not on phone. Will be a while before posting.
The real work is on the boat, of course.
The file system on Android seems incredibly fucked up when transferring between storage devices, trying to upload, now, from phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_131050.jpg
    IMG_20200403_131050.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 215

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads