News & Blogs - 16-Year-old Wearing Headphones Killed in Slidell, LA Train Accident | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs 16-Year-old Wearing Headphones Killed in Slidell, LA Train Accident

OstrichJockey

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
SLIDELL, La. (WGNO) – Slidell police have identified a teen killed in a train accident Wednesday morning.

The St. Tammany Parish Coroner’s Office identified the teen as 16-year-old James Pulsifer.

Authorities say Pulsifer was struck by a southbound Norfolk Southern freight train between the North Boulevard and Lafayette Street crossings in Slidell around 7 a.m.

Police believe Pulsifer was walking to school.

The conductor told Slidell police that Pulsifer was walking along the center of the railroad tracks with headphones over his ears. The conductor said he tried to stop the train and did everything possible to notify the teen, but it was apparent he did not hear the train’s horn.

Slidell Police Chief Randy Smith says, “This is a tragic accident which resulted in the loss of a young life. It’s never easy to lose a loved one, but when it’s someone so young, it makes it that much harder. Our prayers are extended to the family and friends of the victim.”

The below message was also included in the release.

Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence across the United States where pedestrians, who are listening to music with headphones, do not hear or see an on-coming train.

Although it is illegal and considered trespassing to walk along railroad tracks, pedestrians quite frequently utilize railroad tracks to walk from place to place with the belief that it is safer than walking along a roadway.

Slidell police encourage all pedestrians to only cross railroad tracks at designated crossings and to NEVER walk or take photographs along railroad tracks.

http://wgno.com/2016/01/20/slidell-...-accident-involving-a-pedestrian-and-a-train/

kriminalmisfit

Reaction score
Damn this seems to happen a lot- same thing occurred in my hometown last year. My idiot friend Dan took too much acid after that and snapped, claiming he was the kid who got killed by a train. Anyway, fuck Dan the asshole and this is very sad for the kid's family, but damn, people need to watch where the fuck they're going.

K

Kim Chee

I rode into a tiny coastal town years ago and heard about a dude who was on shrooms didn't leave when the train approached and a few years later on the same coast line a guy (with earbuds) did not hear the train which would take him down the track unexpectedly...both died leaving the community upset about their loss and the movement of trains in their neighborhood.

Wake up!

For anybody near the tracks, unless you are on a train riding the tracks, they are death...a train will be coming and you may not hear it...sounds simple, but a mass of steel is heading your way, it is only a matter of time.

rip those yesterday and tomorrow.

Art101

Reaction score
I could prob. dig the info up,but I'm lazy.It seems it is a weekly issue in the Seattle area.Either down in the SODO area where the buses unload,or the parks along the sound where people cross the tracks to access other areas of the beach.2 common threads run through it,either headphones or booze/drugs...Either its Darwinism at work,or a lack of common sense.I'm just not sure.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads