16-Year-old Wearing Headphones Killed in Slidell, LA Train Accident (1 Viewer)

OstrichJockey

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
SLIDELL, La. (WGNO) – Slidell police have identified a teen killed in a train accident Wednesday morning.

The St. Tammany Parish Coroner’s Office identified the teen as 16-year-old James Pulsifer.

Authorities say Pulsifer was struck by a southbound Norfolk Southern freight train between the North Boulevard and Lafayette Street crossings in Slidell around 7 a.m.

Police believe Pulsifer was walking to school.

The conductor told Slidell police that Pulsifer was walking along the center of the railroad tracks with headphones over his ears. The conductor said he tried to stop the train and did everything possible to notify the teen, but it was apparent he did not hear the train’s horn.

Slidell Police Chief Randy Smith says, “This is a tragic accident which resulted in the loss of a young life. It’s never easy to lose a loved one, but when it’s someone so young, it makes it that much harder. Our prayers are extended to the family and friends of the victim.”

The below message was also included in the release.

Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence across the United States where pedestrians, who are listening to music with headphones, do not hear or see an on-coming train.

Although it is illegal and considered trespassing to walk along railroad tracks, pedestrians quite frequently utilize railroad tracks to walk from place to place with the belief that it is safer than walking along a roadway.

Slidell police encourage all pedestrians to only cross railroad tracks at designated crossings and to NEVER walk or take photographs along railroad tracks.

http://wgno.com/2016/01/20/slidell-...-accident-involving-a-pedestrian-and-a-train/

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Desperado Deluxe

Wise Sage
can you say new RR safety ad campaign?
Sad to hear this especially because its so close to where I am right now. Its sad to see a young'un go because he was doing something that he didn't really know any better.

How sad :( Probably didn't even know what hit him. I hope it was painless and quick for him. I used to walk around with my headphones on all the time when I was a teen. Lucky that nothing like this ever happened. The train conductor must feel horrible. My heart goes out to everybody involved.

kriminalmisfit

Wanderer
Damn this seems to happen a lot- same thing occurred in my hometown last year. My idiot friend Dan took too much acid after that and snapped, claiming he was the kid who got killed by a train. Anyway, fuck Dan the asshole and this is very sad for the kid's family, but damn, people need to watch where the fuck they're going.

K

Kim Chee

I closed my account
I rode into a tiny coastal town years ago and heard about a dude who was on shrooms didn't leave when the train approached and a few years later on the same coast line a guy (with earbuds) did not hear the train which would take him down the track unexpectedly...both died leaving the community upset about their loss and the movement of trains in their neighborhood.

Wake up!

For anybody near the tracks, unless you are on a train riding the tracks, they are death...a train will be coming and you may not hear it...sounds simple, but a mass of steel is heading your way, it is only a matter of time.

rip those yesterday and tomorrow.

urchin

Wanderer
I walk around all the time with my headphones on and in but never near tracks. Also you should always be able to hear your surroundings when walking and listening to music.

Art101

Nomad
I could prob. dig the info up,but I'm lazy.It seems it is a weekly issue in the Seattle area.Either down in the SODO area where the buses unload,or the parks along the sound where people cross the tracks to access other areas of the beach.2 common threads run through it,either headphones or booze/drugs...Either its Darwinism at work,or a lack of common sense.I'm just not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.