XMAS IN NOLA

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'll be setting out on my first winter trip in December, hitching from Texas and meeting up with some folks in Nola, and then up to Florida. I'd be grateful for any advice I can get.

I'm currently packing 4-5 layers, bedroll, 50 degree bag (all i got), two tarps w/ paracord and stakes.
I have a tent but don't want the added weight/bulk.
Am I going to freeze to death?
Thanks.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
you should be fine, so long as you stick to the south. make sure to have a tarp or some cardboard to sleep on at night, it'll help. also when you do camp out for the night be sure to pick a spot with some wind shelter. you should be fine without the tent in my opinion, since you already have two tarps. no need to lug around unnecessary weight. have fun.

D

Deleted member 125

the added weight and bulk from a tent in winter might be worth it. what kind of pack are you using? it may be worth it to bring the tent and leave some clothes or other items behind.

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
can anybody tell me about their experiences in florida? it seems like a state where you should know what areas to avoid, and i consistently hear that the cops suck. it can't be all bad though. i see a lot of wilderness areas and am looking forward to spending some time in the national forests. also i've been told to check out the rainbow gathering.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads