Would you rather hitch, drive, or bike?

up2eleven

Reaction score
If you had your choice about it, would you rather hitch around, drive a vehicle, or ride a bicycle around? Why? What is it about your choice that you like and the others that would cause you to not do that?

Reactions: Matt Derrick

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
They all have their pluses and minuses. I'd rather drive as I'm on my own terms. But that can be boring and expensive. Hitching is cheap but can be unreliable. Bicycling could be cheap but arduous.

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
For my own part, I'm for driving, with trains being a close second.

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
Ive pondered the idea of an old Harley with a sidecar but that requires licenses ,registration, insurance which is why I'll be sticking w/ my thumb and Chuck Taylors...

Forget the harley, they cost too much for too little bike. Ural makes a decent bike, and comes with a sidecar by default. The license can be a bit of a pain, but is cheap. As for the insurance and what not, get set up in a state where no insurance is needed.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i must be getting old or something, because im getting really tired of how rough hitching / trainhopping is. i miss my old school bus and having a dope place to sleep anywhere i go. so id rather be driving, but it's expensive. biking is a close second to me. i love bike touring.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yay for bicycle touring. I'm feeling the wanderlust for that - haven't done that in several years - planning on a tour for next year. Going to POKE the boyfriend to get his butt up and go with me!

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
i must be getting old or something, because im getting really tired of how rough hitching / trainhopping is. i miss my old school bus and having a dope place to sleep anywhere i go. so id rather be driving, but it's expensive. biking is a close second to me. i love bike touring.

I hear you on the bus thing. Though suddenly I'm wondering what kind of conversions you could do with a bus' motor. They should be able to run on damn near anything, and there is more out there than just bio-diesel and vegetable oil.

Dmac

Reaction score
go old school, hitch and pitch a tent. all is good.

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have been more specific about my choice in driving. Mine is a motorbike, I do not own a car.

Saidy

Reaction score
hitching gives you an opportuny to talk to people if you're in that kind of mood. alot of people also kick down or smoke you out but you usually can't drink or smoke.

I love trains because of the intense scenery and the feeling of conquering the giant metal dragon. i like that i can drink and smoke and don't have to make small talk and can sleep along the way.

i just got a badass VW bus and i'm looking forward to driving up into the woods if i need to get away but i'm worried about the expenses and responsibility. it's nice to have a guarenteed squat and not have to carry everything on your back but having to stop every few miles to gas jug kinda sucks.

i'll probably have to park her eventually and return to the train. once the trainlust starts you can't quite shake it.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads