Would like to get out of here before winter.....

rockclimberr

Reaction score
So, I just returned to massachusetts after hiking like 900 miles of the appalachian trail. I still have a good deal of savings and the trail, instead of taking the need for adventure out of me, has made it grow. I would like to venture out west to see what it has to offer me. I know for a fact that it has plenty of amazing rock climbing....so I would like to find a place where I can live rent-free preferably in california... work for stay or whatever there is. I could even camp, i'm pretty used to it by now. Of course, there are grizzly bears out west, and they scare me. The black bears we have here are pussies. Near Joshua Tree, or Bishop would be ideal.
Please send me a pm if you know of anything that could help me! :)

bote

Reaction score
I've been wanting to hike the IAT section of the Appalachian trail for awhile, what part were you on and how was it? Thoughts, recommendations?
I've lived in the desert south of Joshua tree, there was no shortage of available space. Don't know about the immediate Joshua tree area, but I'd imagine it's somewhat similar, no grizzlies, but don't forget to shake out your boots and sleeping bag and take a peak in your hat before putting it on...

hartage

Reaction score
I second wider's comment. The last grizzly spotted in california was back in 1924. It's also the accepted year (1924) that the grizzly was considered to be extinct in california.

I think montana and wyoming are the only states in the lower 48's that have grizzly still. If you are in AK that's quite different. The coastal salmon-fed grizzlies also known as "coastal browns" are the biggest in physical size and most dangerous grizzlies. The AK national park ranger's favorite anti-grizz device is a short barrel (but still legal) mossberg 500 with bernake slugs. Specifically that brand of slugs and that brand/model shotgun. They are known as "anti bear slugs". This is just what I've read on-line as I've never been to AK, montana,wyoming so do your own research to confirm.

rockclimberr

Reaction score
Good to hear about the grizzlies, or lack thereof, haha.

Bote - I hiked from Georgia to Damascus, VA. Then from Maine to New Hampshire. The most interesting and beautiful areas were in Maine and New Hampshire. Down south there is a lot of green tunnel, days without any view. A few amazing bald mountains though, and the terrain is much easier. Maine was crazy. There was so much rain this year, that the trails were covered in giant mud puddles. I'd stick my hiking pole into them and sometimes... it wouldn't reach the bottom. You also have to ford all the rivers in maine. My favorite part of the trail... the Mahoosac Notch is in southern Maine. It's the hardest mile of the trail, a pit of boulders that you have to scramble over. It takes some people up to 4 hours to complete it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads