Work getting done, still looking for crew | Squat the Planet

Work getting done, still looking for crew

Reaction score
Posted in another sub forum looking for crew. Offer still open.

Thought I’d introduce myself here, my names Andy, I’m 18, and I currently live in Essex, UK.

Recently I sold my caravan (home of the last 6 months) and bought a Macwester Rowan 22 sailing boat for £700. I’m currently in the process of rewiring her, fitting new electronics, refitting the headlining and making general improvements in the cabin.

I’ve finally got an engine that’s good for the boat now. A Mercury Sailpower 4hp, my gramps is making a new outboard bracket, and I’m in the process of giving the engine a good service and rebuild where necessary.

I’ve added 100 watts of solar to the existing 20, my Bohler electric start generator, a gas heater, I have a diesel heater on the way, an inverter and stereo has gone in, I have my tv to put up, new led lighting throughout.

Got another 6 weeks of work or so before I do a shakedown run hopefully with crew, then if all goes well, pull into a marina for some last minute work then off across the channel towards the medeteranian for the summer.

Reaction score
3E635229-A46D-43CD-B3E5-E93A85369FEE.jpeg C73DEB0A-CBD2-47C2-B0E2-0A3069382CF2.jpeg CA622503-7839-4CBE-860D-F500418BE741.jpeg 72E9EB37-277D-46D8-B511-0117DF986A64.jpeg

Willis

Reaction score
hey thats damn cool! i got such boat-jealousy haha

how does that cat do with being at sea?

(i mean i'll be honest i'm kinda interested, but man its probably not practical at the moment :p)

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sounds awesome man, i know it's hard to get on the net at sea, but maybe when you make it over to the Mediterranean you should post a story with some pics? im sure you could inspire a lot of folks to do the same thing (or maybe join you)?

Reaction score
hey thats damn cool! i got such boat-jealousy haha

how does that cat do with being at sea?

(i mean i'll be honest i'm kinda interested, but man its probably not practical at the moment :p)

She does surprisingly well. I have 2 of them, both kittens around 5-6 months old, used to living in small places. They get a little sea sick if it’s rough in the marina but out on the water they sit on the hatch or bow and just chill out so that’s good haha.

I’m dreading the day they take the leap into the water though as it’ll probably happen. I have some small harnesses for them with carabiners on so I can clip them into the jack line when it gets choppy as the one of them isn’t very stable on her feet as she’s broken her leg a few months ago.

Deep water and food dishes. Small glasses work well as they’re heavy. Litter tray with sides to stop the stuff going everywhere. they’re pretty easy to deal with really lol.

Reaction score
sounds awesome man, i know it's hard to get on the net at sea, but maybe when you make it over to the Mediterranean you should post a story with some pics? im sure you could inspire a lot of folks to do the same thing (or maybe join you)?

Deffo! The plan is to do everything in small coastal hops so I should be able to get online along the way. Plus my phone has a 50gb data package which you can roam with for free in loads of countries in Europe which is useful.

Hoping to fill the boat with people the whole way and just have a good laugh. Would be great to see some others on here come along for the ride :)

CrowTheBard

Reaction score
Deffo! The plan is to do everything in small coastal hops so I should be able to get online along the way. Plus my phone has a 50gb data package which you can roam with for free in loads of countries in Europe which is useful.

Hoping to fill the boat with people the whole way and just have a good laugh. Would be great to see some others on here come along for the ride :)

Sounds like such a fun trip!
I wish I lived anywhere remotely close to you, cause I’d jump on board in a heartbeat! Good luck finding crew and slipping your mooring lines! Fair winds!

Cheers,
Crow

Placebo

Reaction score
Posted in another sub forum looking for crew. Offer still open.

Thought I’d introduce myself here, my names Andy, I’m 18, and I currently live in Essex, UK.

Recently I sold my caravan (home of the last 6 months) and bought a Macwester Rowan 22 sailing boat for £700. I’m currently in the process of rewiring her, fitting new electronics, refitting the headlining and making general improvements in the cabin.

I’ve finally got an engine that’s good for the boat now. A Mercury Sailpower 4hp, my gramps is making a new outboard bracket, and I’m in the process of giving the engine a good service and rebuild where necessary.

I’ve added 100 watts of solar to the existing 20, my Bohler electric start generator, a gas heater, I have a diesel heater on the way, an inverter and stereo has gone in, I have my tv to put up, new led lighting throughout.

Got another 6 weeks of work or so before I do a shakedown run hopefully with crew, then if all goes well, pull into a marina for some last minute work then off across the channel towards the medeteranian for the summer.
Find a crew yet?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads