Wilderness Squatting : can anyone help me turn pond water into drinking water

P

Pheonix

i'm about to start a camp in the wood on my property and my neighbor has a pond right on the other side of the fence. I was wondering if their is an easy way to steal some pond water and turn it into drinking water. any suggestions will help thanks

P

Pheonix

I was reading more about it online and found what I'm going to do. I'm going to collect pond water in a 5 gallon bucket and skim all the algae out of it with my hands. Then pour it through a clean pillow case and into another 5 gallon bucket to filter out as much sediment as I can. I'll pour that water into a stock pot and bring it to a boil. Letting it boil for 1-2 minutes to kill all pathogens (no point boiling longer since the pathogens die within 2 minutes they can't get any deader than that) Remove from heat and let cool. Since I will also be using this water on my crops, do you think the dirty pond water will be alright for the crops or do I need to clean their water too?

hiveranno

Reaction score
gotta be careful with pond water. all kinds of nasties in there. you can boil it for ten minutes to kill almost everything in the water but then you have hot water to cool before use. i would first strain it through cheese cloth or what ever you got to get rid of the chunks, boil it, then if you still are kinda weary add a few drops of bleach. that will kill everything and not hurt you either. there are methods that i built in the past that strain it through gravel to sand to charcoal then boil it but it takes alot more set up and time. i catch rain water at my place and when its dry i get water from a 352 acre lake..

hiveranno

Reaction score
didnt see your second post before i startd to babble. you got the idea but just remember, more is better when it comes to drinking stagnant nonmoving water. i had girardia once and shit my guts out till i got to a hospital. not bad if your in town but i was about 12 miles from the nearest road in the boundary waters canoe area. it was hell and painful.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads