Wilderness Squatting : any ideas about hunting

P

Pheonix

the creatures I know to be in my woods are possums, coons, skunks, rabbits, snakes (I'm afraid most of them are water moccasins) squirrels, chipmunks, frogs & toads, turtles & tortoises, and the neighbors chihuahuas (I won't really kill someone else's pet) neighbors have reported foxes and I hear wolves from time to time (but they never make themselves seen)
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good way to capture, kill, cook and eat these critters?
Also I've read before that many pioneers staved to death even though they eat well with all the rabbits they killed. The reasoning being that rabbit meat is severely lacking in essential vitamins and minerals and thus they starved without even knowing they were starving. But as long as I don't only eat rabbits I should be ok.
any ideas?

hiveranno

Reaction score
the frontiersmen died from rabbit starvation cause they didnt follow the native way of thinking. there is little or no fat in most wild game, its really lean. the natives would supplement with eating the organs of the animal along with the meat and thats how they got buy. some people wisened up and ate donuts to supplement the fat and got by also. ive eaten most things on your list there (even the neighbors dog). i would stay away from toads. other then that it all looks good to eat. its fairly simple to catch most of the critters cuz they are scavengers and could be baited into anything. i do alot of trapping, constucting my own and with ones ive purchased. ive kept animals alive in cages for later using live traps. anything can be built if your handy. search mountain man traps and snares will get you started. foot hold traps for a couple bucks at the hard ware store

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads