"Why I Bought A House In Detroit For $500?" | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

"Why I Bought A House In Detroit For $500?"

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score

Coin1993

Reaction score
We have my car for sure, getting to Detroit should be no problem. 2001 manual cavalier with approx. 140k miles, should be at least enough to provide the essentials of travel and transport.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I imagine I could try, if anyone wants to tell me where to bushwack across the boarder.::hungry::

ok, so back in dec 2001, i found myself stuck in detroit not knowing a soul and still a bit green on the train hopping thing, and i ended up sleeping in this junkyard near downtown for like a week (i was sick as hell, mild pnemonia i think) but this junk yard was right on the river, and i was looking across at windsor every day thinking, "i can practically see through the apartment window across that river". i watched that river for hours thinking about how easy it would be to float a cheap rubber raft across to windsor. there was hardly any water traffic on that river.

i still believe there are lots of places like this you could cross over, with virtually no chance of getting caught:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=detroit&hl=en&ll=42.30569,-83.089342&spn=0.035484,0.084543&hnear=Detroit, Wayne, Michigan&t=m&z=14

^^ approx. location of junkyard. it's about 2000 ft between detroit and windsor. you could easily paddle that in an hour or less. and in the middle of the night? not a soul is going to see you.

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
Prolly flipped their lids seeing they had to call the military a few years back over like a foot of snow

haha I remember that, that was hilarious.

and in regards to illegal border crossings I always figured land would be a better route than water. it's a lot easier to have patrol boats than it is to patrol a forest. I have no real experience tho, this is just guesswork.

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
i watched that river for hours thinking about how easy it would be to float a cheap rubber raft across to windsor. there was hardly any water traffic on that river.

i still believe there are lots of places like this you could cross over, with virtually no chance of getting caught

it's about 2000 ft between detroit and windsor. you could easily paddle that in an hour or less. and in the middle of the night? not a soul is going to see you.

I donno man, i dont really like the idea of being 'trapped' in open water if I were to get caught, and december 2001 wasnt too far off 9/11, security is prolly twice as tight along the rivers nao.

being on land and having a remote chance to outrun the fuzz would be prefered, Ive looked around and gotten a vauge idea of a few spots, anyone else know of any? how hasnt anyone here done this yet?...

goldendose

Reaction score
ok, so back in dec 2001, i found myself stuck in detroit not knowing a soul and still a bit green on the train hopping thing, and i ended up sleeping in this junkyard near downtown for like a week (i was sick as hell, mild pnemonia i think) but this junk yard was right on the river, and i was looking across at windsor every day thinking, "i can practically see through the apartment window across that river". i watched that river for hours thinking about how easy it would be to float a cheap rubber raft across to windsor. there was hardly any water traffic on that river.

i still believe there are lots of places like this you could cross over, with virtually no chance of getting caught:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=detroit&hl=en&ll=42.30569,-83.089342&spn=0.035484,0.084543&hnear=Detroit, Wayne, Michigan&t=m&z=14

^^ approx. location of junkyard. it's about 2000 ft between detroit and windsor. you could easily paddle that in an hour or less. and in the middle of the night? not a soul is going to see you.

Idk, I met a guy who ended up in jail (I was there too, but NOT for same thing) because he was smuggling Chinese people across the River in some sort of homemade submarine contraption. He got in pretty big trouble. This was post 9/11 border times. Before those times there would have been no point to even trying to sneak across because they used to wave EVERYONE across who was leaving the D for the Windsor side.

Also: anyone willing to swim across the Detroit River should be rewarded with instant Canadian citizenship for their efforts! It's only fair.

Reactions: Kadidlehopper
K

Kim Chee

@Matt Derrick @KadidlehopperBetween everyone's travels, can you think of a place that's a blank slate, cheap, safe, widespread and that's warm close to 365 days of the year here in North America?

I'd love to know.

Puna District, Big Island, HI $20k will get you a 3 acre lot all day long.

BC also has a few abandoned towns aswell. christian valley, #7 mine near greenwood, and leechtown, which supposedly, has a small cave near by with a 'vein of gold 24 inches wide extending well into the depth of the cave.'

Haha.

Last edited:

isai

Reaction score
This was quite inspiring. I have been thinking of moving to Detroit in maybe a year or so.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads