Why do you live/travel like this?

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I couldnt really think of a better forum to put this in but Im curious as to why everyone here on STP does what they do, as in why do you hop trains, why do you hitchhike, why do you squat in urban area, or wilderness areas......its really been bugging me.I mean i know theres pry like a million reasons why....some of us prolly do it for the hell of traveling, but why not a car? plane? boat? etc ( i meen i know the answer to this but i still wanna hear what others have to say) what made you live like this? did someone throw you out on the street, or did you cause yourself to be homeless, or did you get laid off? Or were you doin just fine and dandy and got fed up with life and left to explore? etc. and lastly what kinda ......hobo punk squatter are you...? do you travel somewhere and once you get there your done, or do you travel for the sake of exploration......and if you call yourself one of these wilderness/urban survivors as ive heard it put before by other STP members, which one are you and why?

I guess IM asking all this because I honestly wander what was going through/is going through other people's minds who live this lifestyle, whether they live in a few weeks a year or every waking minute..... I understand this could easily be personal so if someone finds this post inappropriate just say so, I mean no harm....just highly curious.

myself is simple...I hate my family because theyre all christians, which i respect, but they dont respect anything I do and are extremely closeminded, and yes I know thats life, but I know in my book respect goes 2 ways, otherwise it aint respect. And im a natural animist, so hitchhiking around for me to all the backwoods of the world is sorta a pilgrimage for me among other things. MY spirituality greatly influences why I hitchhike/explore and whatnot.

That could be a boring typical answer to my original questions, but thats why IM asking about all you, Im highly interested in why you do what you do.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I choose to be homeless and traveling, its way more fun than a seditary lifestyle and I'm usually much more happier in doing so.I travel the way I do because we as humans weren't meant to stay static. it's been proven in the past. I enjoy the freedom, the lack of most responsibility, the more simplified style of living. I like be able to pick up and go whenever I want, carrying my home on my back. I enjoy the other travelers I meet and the experiences I gain from them. I also travel to spread my counter culture thoughts and ideals to the rest of the country and soon the world. I travel cuase I dont like to work and believe that life is much more enjoyable when your time is spent doing the things you enjoy instead being a wage slave and living up to what modern society deems as "right". I'm also looking for a bunch of things, like an area I may want to settle down at if I ever choose to, looking for other traveling fire performers and musicians and just other like minded individuals as a whole. And my reasons for travel go way beyond this, but thats enough for now. And as far as what kinda travel I am, I dunno... you tell me? Classification in itself is a bit ridiculous, but when on the street, I've been called crusty or hippy. I dunno whatever.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i started traveling because ive always been an extremist
i dont like ordinary, and cant stand monotony...
over the years my traveling style changes and grows along with me...
ive been the crusty punk, ive been the homeless hippy, ive been the homebum.
but now that im older i just kinda am... no explanation, no titles.
planes, and buses are too expensive, and i hate working for other people... my money is made
doing shit i like to do, cause im suppose to enjoy my time on this rock...
all in all i guess the reason i do what i do is because i want to die with a smile on my heart
i want to say ive done this shit and been these places
i want to make a difference in a world ive come to love
and i want to meet a person i can do all these things with till i end my earthly term
and as for my family, they have never wronged me, or tried changing me, and i love them for that
if i didnt have slightly crappy parents, id be a stupid little squishy, weak human

Reactions: Coywolf

pip

Reaction score
Adventure.Politics...Mostly wanderlust, I turn into a icky self isolating druggie when i dont travel,this keeps me in check a bit,prevents me from avoiding society.Also,overly controlling christian parents--I always visit them and want to leave almost immediatly.

Twiggs

Reaction score
The freedom that traveling allows is far too liberating to be ignored. I can feel how uplifting it is to be unchained to housing, to longterm jobs, to anything that would hold me down.

The method in which we learn whilst discovering everything around us on the road is far more advanced than any sedintary classroom involvement. Sticking your nose in a book for eight years will specialize you as a human, but life is far too short to ignore the imalgamation of activity swarming around you in everything that you do. Road life can and does show you the way to survive.

The human condition, politics, our illusion of safety, our very government will not be around forever. It is on this cusp of annihalation of the state that we will rise above that which has been a temporary road-block in our lives. When we step out into the light amongst the ruins of all that surrounds us, the burning rubble - All will know that we have been preparing and will be able to deal with anything that comes our way.

The warrior spirit will move forward while the blabbering technophiles will gnash their teeth and tear at their hair, wallowing in their own filth and misery, not knowing what to do next and perishing because of it.

I'm looking forward to those days. Hopefully so is everyone else who chooses to live our lifestyle.

Yell

Reaction score
I cannot be in one place for too long, it's hard to explain but if i settle in one place for a while i get depressed. I actually have gypsy blood in me. I blame it on that.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I travel because I watched 'Into the Wild' and I totally idolize Christopher McCandless.

And if you believe that, I've got a shit load of other things to say that you will really enjoy...

Seriously though, I travel because I had alot of friends I looked up to when I was young who encouraged me to get into the, I dont know what to call it, subculture? Lifestyle? Freedom? Something. It really helps that my job is seasonal, so i have half the year to do whatever. I also think people are so caught up in their own struggle to be 'normal' and 'happy' they have really forgotten their human roots (or routes for that matter). I like the outdoors, I like seeing new things, I like a challenge, and I like meeting new people. I also am kind of a loner, that definitely helps.

• Useful
  • Haha
Reactions: Mankini and Odin

SophiaII

Shoot Me
Reaction score
I can't think when I am with people I know. I get the most clarity when I'm on some kind of vehicle at night.

I wouldn't know if I've got a similar level/type of experience as others, but I have an intense desire and drive to escape. When you live somewhere too long, people form opinions of you and expectations, and it keeps you from being able to grow as a person.

If things don't work out with this boy, I'm buying a van. Going to make it full time.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
When you live somewhere too long, people form opinions of you and expectations, and it keeps you from being able to grow as a person.

Yea that can be the case... specially if you tied up with folks on a basic level... family... emotions... high ideas of integrity and loyalty.

... It's not an easy maze to navigate.

If things don't work out with this boy, I'm buying a van. Going to make it full time.

Boys (I'm one ::woot::) are stupid and folks form stupid opinions fast as firecrackers!
Buy the Van... ::finger:: those ass hats. Buncha fools.::cigar::

Be damn well free aye..... ::artist::

I got five on it,
grab your 40,
let's get keyed
I got five on it,
messin' wit that Indo weed
I got five on it,

::cigar::

SophiaII

Shoot Me
Reaction score
Boys (I'm one ::woot::) are stupid and folks form stupid opinions fast as firecrackers!
Buy the Van... ::finger:: those ass hats. Buncha fools.::cigar::

Be damn well free aye..... ::artist::

I'm not just gonna drop him. He's very sweet and we're on the track to get hitched in the next year or so. I want to be a mom while I'm young.

But if we split for some reason, I'm taking it as a sign to do as I please and go on my trip

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Do what feels right...::drinkingbuddy:: I got as much reason as any joker my age to beef with chicks... :'( lol... but if you got a good man... gonna make n take care of some good babies... good fortune mama. :D

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads