who wants to get hitched? | Squat the Planet

who wants to get hitched?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So I just wanted to put it out there that I'm really interested in getting married for dual citizenship somewhere. Ideally it would be a country that would enable me to travel in other places around europe.

What i'm kinda thinking in the very very (10 years from now-ish) future i'd like to get a camper van and spend the second half of my life driving around exploring europe the same way i did the usa...

of course i'll be keeping my usa citizenship, so i guess the trade would be that you'd get citizenship in the usa... so yeah, just throwing that out there in case anyone is interested!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I don't know about how it works in Europe but I've heard that in the US they're super strict on "green card marriages" and may require you to provide proof that you're actually getting married out of love and not for citizenship. Here's a list of things they want for proof. So you should either find someone you actually want to be married to or start making counterfeit love letters and Christmas cards. :D

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i have no problem doing those things, and i know it's quite a process to go through, but i think it would be worth it, i just gotta find someone else that's interested in doing the same thing.

• Wow
Reactions: Hobo Mud and 1keg

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dude good luck.

Know anyone/hear of anyone thats made this kinda deal work before?

It's Not a bad idea actually...

I don't mind chicks swearing at me in a foreign language. ::woot::

• Haha
Reactions: East and Mankini

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Dude good luck.

Know anyone/hear of anyone thats made this kinda deal work before?

It's Not a bad idea actually...

I don't mind chicks swearing at me in a foreign language. ::woot::

My Girl: "Perrrrrrrkele Satana Jevlar Jenkki!!!!!" J/K She never really swears at me. Grumbles occasionally. But no dirties.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
i have a few friends here that have married foreigners to get them their visas. Australians, Canadians , South Africans and Americans. The UK requires all the same shit as the USA does in terms of proof and I believe you have to stay "married" for at least 5 years in order for the other person to get leave to stay in the country. I don't think you automatically get citizenship unless you apply for it after the five years. Its £1000 to get a passport once you pass the test!

I dunno, I think from your point of view a there's a lot to be gained as a European passport is a great thing, as you can go anywhere in Europe and live there indefinitely however, the other person would have to really want an American passport as the US is the only place it's gaining access to. Its going to cost a fair bit of cash too as you need to show that you've spent time together. I'm sure there is definitely someone out there willing to get involved.

I'll have a chat with my mate, she is married to an american for reasons other than Love! i'll see how she went about it and let you know any useful info. ;)

lone wolf

Reaction score
damn Matt, i was about to buy you a beer and tell you 100 reasons why you shouldn't but i don't have any advice if you doing it for dual citizenship.
personally i think the 1% should go hideout in their bomb shelters and let the rest of us roam this earth the way we were intended.

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

U.S. Citizenship is in demand. You should have no problem. If you're lucky, you can just fall in love later. Hopefully, your spouse has great website administration and fellatio mastery.

japanarchist

Reaction score
Funny I was just talking to a friend from europe about this last week. I'm interested in doing this as well, although it would probably be a last resort option if nothing else worked out for me. Matt would you consider making this thread sticky? This could kinda be like the meet up board for those who are trying to gain citizanship lol.

Reactions: East

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
<backs out of this thread quickly!!!> did it done it won't do it again heehehehe RUNS!!

Reactions: lone wolf

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

uniparemassilmas

Reaction score
It is really complicated. For some countries marriage does not change anything, it would still be hard to get papers. If you just want to travel in Europe, you can travel there for 90 days, then get out of Schengen area, and then get back. It is 100% not sure it will work like this, but I know a guy who have done it. If you actually want to get citizenship you need to get resident there as well. And some countries dont allow to have double citizens, I think.
Also, do you know that if something happens with one of you (death, for example), then probably by law husband / wife would be the one who have to deal with everything, what has been left behind. Do you want to give anyone / take to yourself this responsibilty? Difficult topic, I would say.

Although I dont see nothing wrong with that. Just need to be 100% sure you know what you are doing.

• Useful
Reactions: japanarchist

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
  • Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads