Where's a good spot to stay in BC to avoid all the bullshit? | Squat the Planet

Where's a good spot to stay in BC to avoid all the bullshit?

docbrawlstar

Reaction score
Hey dudes and dudettes, I'm planning to make my way out to BC for a strange mission of sorts. Trying to bring back my father cause he's all fucked up on drugs in Van, but the guys also just been told his lukemia is in remission. I'm planning to either bring him home or get his ass into a detox center. So I'm looking for a chill place in BC to set up for a while so I can convince him for either option. I've heard to avoid Surrey like the plague where else would be good?

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Agree. Kootneys are a dream, Van holds its own problems, as well as being nightmare expensive. However, remember that also the surrounding areas, Surrey included, each hold their own problems... so it's not like you can pick one above the other sometimes... I've recently just got to Richmond, and yeah you get good, but you also get the bad, it's the same with each surrounding place. BC is a BIG province, and varies so much within half hour driving (or even walking) time brackets! Similar to the post above, I would also recommend traveling and getting out to the smaller surrounding areas of the province. Public transport (not including taxis) is dirty cheap [if not free if you play your cards right *wink*] to get in/out of the city in just under an hour. So if you drive, you might find it cheaper (and way easier) to park on the outskirts and head in on foot.

I don't know really what kinda thing you're looking for - but I would say if you can get yourself, and your papa, outta the city ASAP then things WILL start to form a clearer and easier path... Van is a monster that relentlessly sucks in! And from being there, it is continuously not easy to break free from, especially if you allow it to become your only option. It's fun as long as it can last, but it's also mad... and then, before you know it, you're in to depths way beyond your reach... shelters (including female only shelters) completely filled up...etc. Be the one to provide the alternative , you CAN stay off / semi off grid, you can grow your own food, inuding things like grapes - make wine - and all sorts, just a short while outside of Vancouver - and stay places bored free in exchange for working (for a couple of days a week), keep investigating that type of stuff and don't allow yourself to get into that dark city hole - remain WHOLE and wholesome!

Let me know what you're seeking and I'll do my best to fix you some links :) it sounds hippy, and yeah, I guess it is... it's also cheap, and if done properly, and considering the land prices, it's fully worth it. I'm a half and half sorta person - I love wild nature, but I do also love the city/metropolitan, so don't get me wrong - but in this instance, and for your situation
(this is just in my opinion, bare in mind) being in bulk of the city is not the place to be.

Last edited:

docbrawlstar

Reaction score
Yo word guys, I appreciate the advice. I know exactly how much shit can go down in Van, from some stories. As long as I can keep my head above water I won't feel so awkward. My bro had said Kelowna would be another good spot. I like the idea of half on and off the grid that sounds pretty solid to me. My dad was like the old school 80's drugs sex and rock&roll kinda life. It hasn't gotten the old man very far so. In Regina for right now it's still too cold to go hitching and I don't really even have proper gear right now either. I'm in full prep mode for this journey

Reactions: Sidman1980

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
You got this @docbrawlstar! Also what an awesome positive mission you've set your mind to :) Yeah Kelowna's cool ... I haven't spent loads of time there but I liked what was around!

I do remember getting woken up after a night of drinking by police knocking on the door of the bus I was sleeping in, something about parking... and the first thing he eyed was a big weed sticker saying 'BOYCOTT GOVERNMENT GRASS' ... hehe

Reactions: Sidman1980

Sidman1980

Reaction score
Yo word guys, I appreciate the advice. I know exactly how much shit can go down in Van, from some stories. As long as I can keep my head above water I won't feel so awkward. My bro had said Kelowna would be another good spot. I like the idea of half on and off the grid that sounds pretty solid to me. My dad was like the old school 80's drugs sex and rock&roll kinda life. It hasn't gotten the old man very far so. In Regina for right now it's still too cold to go hitching and I don't really even have proper gear right now either. I'm in full prep mode for this journey
Kelowna was wicked back in 98 when I stayed there a month....one wine in the town that I met showed me around lol

Sidman1980

Reaction score
Kelowna was wicked back in 98 when I stayed there a month....one wine in the town that I met showed me around, been to van 3 times hitching nd only stayed for the hoes, then left because of them XD

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads