Question - where to charge your phone when everything is closed? | Squat the Planet

Question where to charge your phone when everything is closed?

plumfae

Reaction score
so here in ontario we still got most places closed, can't sit inside a mcdonalds or the mall, thrift stores aren't open, everything's shuttered up besides grocery stores and what few things are deemed essential. im sure other people are dealing with similar situations in other places.

so - where can someone charge their electronics when they mostly can't go inside?

convenience stores are open, and plenty have outlets where i've charged my phone before. might be able to find a plug in a grocery store and hope for the best. that's about all i've come up with so far.

Reactions: JackSquat

roguetrader

Reaction score
I'm in the UK so things might be different, but I've noticed that supermarkets and petrol garages often have outside plug sockets which you could possibly use... they are often in discreet locations so you might have to search for a minute... I've never actually plugged in but I've always thought of it as a possibility - you could have the phone in a bag / rucksack with just the plug sticking out, to disguise what you're doing.... or wait until they're closed...

also places with permanent outside lighting features often have electrical outlets dotted about to plug the lights in...

so yeah I think there are probably plenty of outside sockets but they tend to be located where people might not immediately see them - to stop people like us using them !

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Same - check outside. For example I noticed just yesterday that the outdoor gazebos at my local park have outlets.

Anywhere there is regular work or maintenance being done with power tools might have outlets. Check what government or municipal facilities there are in your area... parks, museums, nature preserves, sports facilities, etc.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Local parks are often good although in the USA newer parks tend to not have any accessible. Basically you just gotta keep your eyes to the ground and keep looking until you find one.

croc

Reaction score
Sometimes there are outlets on the back of vacuums/air machines at gas stations.

Groundscore

Reaction score
Start looking for covered outlets outside of buildings; usually on the backside you'll find some. Just be warned that unless you ask you could be charged with theft of services. Usually if you ask nicely and explain you just need to charge your phone and/or laptop most will give you the okay.

ali

Reaction score
It's worth looking on lamp poles, especially large floodlights like they have in some sports fields or parks. Sometimes there is a box on there with a plug inside.

Spazz

Reaction score
I went with a solar charger for both phone and laptop. The one for the phone was only about ten or fifteen bucks. It's small enough to hang from a beltloop or a backpack.

Definitely ask a homebum if you can't or don't want to go that route, though; Redwoods Rural will let you check out a power bank like a library book and then you bring it back when you use up the charge.

This is done through Behavioral Health. It's pretty hard to keep your telemedicine appointments if you can't charge your phone. I imagine it must be pretty hard to keep your temper if you're trying to focus on mental health and hitting such ridiculous roadblocks.

They also host a shower van once a month that is open to everybody, not just patients.

No first hand experience, since I went solar for that too, but I've heard good things about it.

coyote mogollon

Reaction score
so here in ontario we still got most places closed, can't sit inside a mcdonalds or the mall, thrift stores aren't open, everything's shuttered up besides grocery stores and what few things are deemed essential. im sure other people are dealing with similar situations in other places.

so - where can someone charge their electronics when they mostly can't go inside?

convenience stores are open, and plenty have outlets where i've charged my phone before. might be able to find a plug in a grocery store and hope for the best. that's about all i've come up with so far.
ya, I'm in same sitch, squattn with zilch electric. I hit up my local cafe which has plenty outlets, some cafes won't bother you if yr sanz cash, weirdly Scarfucks is most always good to hit up for free wifi, n outlets

coyote mogollon

Reaction score
I went with a solar charger for both phone and laptop. The one for the phone was only about ten or fifteen bucks. It's small enough to hang from a beltloop or a backpack.

Definitely ask a homebum if you can't or don't want to go that route, though; Redwoods Rural will let you check out a power bank like a library book and then you bring it back when you use up the charge.

This is done through Behavioral Health. It's pretty hard to keep your telemedicine appointments if you can't charge your phone. I imagine it must be pretty hard to keep your temper if you're trying to focus on mental health and hitting such ridiculous roadblocks.

They also host a shower van once a month that is open to everybody, not just patients.

No first hand experience, since I went solar for that too, but I've heard good things about it.
im lookn to get the same for long-term "camping". Any suggestions preferably not too pricey n lightweight?

Spazz

Reaction score
If I had it to do over again, I would have shelled out the money for something like this:

1635436985477.png

because I wind up plugging the single panel charger into my laptop charger more often than not.

If you've got the money and space in your pack or vehicle then it might make sense to get something bigger, but phones use so much less power than laptops and mobile Linux has come a long way.

We're talking twelve bucks for a single panel solar charger, thirtyish for the one in the picture, and $100-$150ish on eBay for a 100-ish watt portable laptop charger on eBay.

Save your money if you can; none of this nickel and dime eBay stuff is getting me any closer to a fridge in my van.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I really wouldn't trust any type of solar panel bought on eBay. There's too much garbage out there that doesn't supply the wattage it says it does. Definitely do as much research as possible on a panel you're interested in before buying it.

Spazz

Reaction score
I really wouldn't trust any type of solar panel bought on eBay. There's too much garbage out there that doesn't supply the wattage it says it does. Definitely do as much research as possible on a panel you're interested in before buying it.
Exactly. After reading @Matt Derrick 's thoughts on eBay, I flat out refuse to post eBay links on stp.

Do as I say, not as I do.

You can get the same exact crap directly from Amazon or Walmart for less money as often as not.

My 50 watt panel from Six Rivers Solar cost the same as my "100 watt" laptop charger from eBay, but it's going on the roof of my van and/or house when I can afford a battery, inverter, etc. for the fridge and the eBay/Amazon stuff is undoubtedly going to the landfill long before then.

• Agree
Reactions: Matt Derrick

00kissmarrykick00

I gotta be STOKED to be FLEXIBLE!
Reaction score
Everyone else is already given adequate advice, so I'm just going to chime in to say bring battery packs! I know you'll eventually have to charge those too, but they'll hold you over a little longer.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads