where to charge your phone when everything is closed? (1 Viewer)

plumfae

so here in ontario we still got most places closed, can't sit inside a mcdonalds or the mall, thrift stores aren't open, everything's shuttered up besides grocery stores and what few things are deemed essential. im sure other people are dealing with similar situations in other places.

so - where can someone charge their electronics when they mostly can't go inside?

convenience stores are open, and plenty have outlets where i've charged my phone before. might be able to find a plug in a grocery store and hope for the best. that's about all i've come up with so far.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

roguetrader

Vagabond
I'm in the UK so things might be different, but I've noticed that supermarkets and petrol garages often have outside plug sockets which you could possibly use... they are often in discreet locations so you might have to search for a minute... I've never actually plugged in but I've always thought of it as a possibility - you could have the phone in a bag / rucksack with just the plug sticking out, to disguise what you're doing.... or wait until they're closed...

also places with permanent outside lighting features often have electrical outlets dotted about to plug the lights in...

so yeah I think there are probably plenty of outside sockets but they tend to be located where people might not immediately see them - to stop people like us using them !

MetalBryan

Vagabond
Same - check outside. For example I noticed just yesterday that the outdoor gazebos at my local park have outlets.

Anywhere there is regular work or maintenance being done with power tools might have outlets. Check what government or municipal facilities there are in your area... parks, museums, nature preserves, sports facilities, etc.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Local parks are often good although in the USA newer parks tend to not have any accessible. Basically you just gotta keep your eyes to the ground and keep looking until you find one.

Wingsday

Lurker
Stuffs starting to open up, here anyway, but I've been using an exterior outlet at this yuppie building mostly

Groundscore

Rambler
Start looking for covered outlets outside of buildings; usually on the backside you'll find some. Just be warned that unless you ask you could be charged with theft of services. Usually if you ask nicely and explain you just need to charge your phone and/or laptop most will give you the okay.

Romanriff

Wayfarer
Ask a homebum, they have phones that need to be charged too. Normally Grocery stores have outlets that are always on. Look for vending machines, around buildings. I've used an outlet hidden inside a lamp post. When you think about it, there has to be outlets for buildings that need maintenance outside.

ali

Wanderer
It's worth looking on lamp poles, especially large floodlights like they have in some sports fields or parks. Sometimes there is a box on there with a plug inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.