When does it reach high temperatures in Slab City

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Hey there! I’m hoping to hit the road again in April or May. I really want to visit the slabs again (I went for 4 days a few years ago), but I’m not sure if there will be enough time before it gets too hot again.

I’ve heard of people leaving in April, so I’m wondering, when do the snowbirds usually leave?

If it will be really hot by the time I can make it, or if there won’t be many people, then I think I’ll have to wait until next year.

thanks for any help!

Romanriff

Reaction score
I'm going down there in late April as well. People live there all year round and Nihland is only a couple of miles down the road but I wouldn't wanna be a visitor there in June and July, I think April is survivable. I can't be of much help but if you make it down there this spring, hit me up. If I make it down there I'll let you know as well.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'll be there maybe mid-april? that's when it starts to get 'hot', id say it gets 'too hot' more most people in early may. things cool down again around early to mid october.

D

Deleted member 23824

If you Google Niland California climate month by month, you can see a graph of the average highs and lows. I would dig a cave at least 20 feet below the surface for the summer months.

• Agree
Reactions: Dmac

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've never spent a summer in the slabs but I did go there for a few days in July once and it was the most oppressive heat I've ever encountered (it was 115F). it felt like there was a brick in my stomach the whole time, like I had eaten something bad. It tops out at around 125 in August, so there's a reason that a lot of folks just go insane in the slabs when they live there full time; your brain just gets cooked after a while...

Jerrell

Reaction score
I saw 108º on consecutive days in, I feel like it was late April, but maybe early May last year.
It's a dry heat tho. 😅

missx

Reaction score
Hey there! I’m hoping to hit the road again in April or May. I really want to visit the slabs again (I went for 4 days a few years ago), but I’m not sure if there will be enough time before it gets too hot again.

I’ve heard of people leaving in April, so I’m wondering, when do the snowbirds usually leave?

If it will be really hot by the time I can make it, or if there won’t be many people, then I think I’ll have to wait until next year.

thanks for any help!

Have you ever been to Texas? When I 'lived' there , it was THE most oppressive heat in the summer, to the point where I could not walk more than a few seconds, literally, without seeking shelter indoors. I was, however, able to ride a bicycle around there, including uphill, in the summer Just wondering how it compares to the heat of Slab city, which I know gets up to over 100 degrees. I have relative in San Diego.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads