What's up, fellas!

yellowbrickfreeway

Reaction score
I'm Kelly. I joined this board last year but then immediately ran off and didn't have much internet for a while. Came back for a little bit and decided to do some poking around all over again. Procrastinated on the introduction as I never know what to say for these things, but I figured hey, 4:47AM is as good a time as any right?

Firstly, Matt, (and everyone else involved) thanks for doing what you do! This community is really cool, not just due to knowledge and all, but it's nice that there can be a sense of community even online for this kind of thing. Especially since with more and more shitty kids coming into play in the real world, I've found it's a lot harder to find that same sense of community traveling around than it used to be.

That being said, I've been traveling generally all my life but I didn't start doin' it for free until I was 18 (am now 25). One of my favorite most recent adventures was from last May to October, my best friend had hitched into Grand Lake, Colorado and ended up meeting a family who was devastated because their alcoholic son who owned his own restaurant and ran the kitchen had passed away. They wanted to keep the restaurant open for his memory but it was failing and they had to fire all the workers they had because it was a total shit show without him there. So he ended up getting a job there being head chef, and called all of our best friends together (kidnapped one or two as well) and we all ended up taking over and saving this restaurant. A whole kitchen crew of ornery homeless and traveling best friends working 15 hour days, blasting Tom Waits and yelling at each other, for 4 months, squatting in some creepy methy cabin, just to help out this family. Was insane and hilarious and mad fun and awful and painful and exhausting and will be forever one of my fondest memories.

That being said, all split ways, me and my friend Leigh left together and have been roaming around. First time since I was 18 that my road dog was another girl. Currently back in Colorado, will be leaving again this Wednesday for more wild and crazy adventures.

OH! And hey, if any of you folks have ever passed through Pinecliffe, Colorado, let me know! It is still one of my favorite places and where I mostly grew up with my cousins, and not a damn person has ever heard of it if I ask. It's literally just trains and then like 5 cabins and a post office 50 ft away from the tracks. I believe it is right at tunnel 29 on the Moffat Route, and also just outside of Nederland if anyone has hung out there. Spent all my time as a kid on the river and running up and down the tracks playing chicken, throwing rocks at trains and putting everything we could possibly flatten or explode on the tracks for fun. Lived in two different cabins, one regular one, and another built by my cousins' grandfather out of an old boxcar. Been obsessed with trains my whole life, can't imagine why? ;) And I don't mean that by "I'm obsessed with hopping trains," I really,really,really am just obsessed with the damn things in general. Still have yet to go, due to general coordination problems with others, and some more recent past law troubles I had to get out of (due to graffiti-ing on the damn things), but I will be for the first time beginning of October with the vocal help of a good friend.

Anyway dang, went from not knowin' what to say to writing an essay. Well anyway, nice to meet you all, and good morning I s'pose.

Reactions: Anagor

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
good intro!! Welcome back!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Fuck yeah, awesome story! I feel like the dirty kids coming together to save the restaurant would make for a great movie!

If you need any help or advice with anything just ask!

Art101

Reaction score
Awesome intro and great story. Would be better then most of the tripe called reality these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads