what's in your med kit?

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
So I grew up with a nurse for a mom and if there is one thing that had really stuck with me was to always be prepared. She taught me a lot about first aid and medicine so I tend to keep my medicine pocket in my pack well stocked. I mainly have remedies for things that I come down with often [colds, hives, etc.) Currently I have.
  • A bottle of Dayquil
  • Generic Tylenol
  • A tube of Bactracin
  • A tube of IcyHot
  • A tube of Hydrocortisone
  • Benedryl
  • a small thing of Vaseline
  • Bandaids
  • Bottle of Gaviscon

So what do you guys keep on you?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Before I took off, my sister gave me a small first-aid kit (just some gauze and bandaids and alcohol wipes). I almost didn't take it but I was sure glad to have it when I accidentally sliced a bit of my thumb off with a box-cutter and was bleeding everywhere. Besides that, I had some Tylenol and pills for food sickness, both of which I ended up using.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Not so much in the way of an actual first aid kit, but I usually have food type items that double for medical stuff. Vinegar is the big one; kicked a nasty staph infection with it. Everything gets cleaned with vinegar. Honey I've used very effectively for a bad burn, ginger for nausea, garlic to get over a cold fast...supposedly will get rid of some parasites if you can keep raw garlic down on an empty stomach, but I've never been sure enough if I had the worms or not to know if it worked

kecleon

Reaction score
I really like these things they call butterfly stitches. I fixed this big gash I had above my eye that I was sure needed real stitches because a friend had a pack of these, since then I always carry them, they take up no space.

especially if you're in a group it's really useful if at least someone has some basic kit/knowledge.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Whiskey?... Cant say I've ever been one to be prepared along those lines, although its definitely worth having. The only meds I tend to always try to have is Advil, other wise I usually just let nature run its course.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Good thread! Since my long distance usually involves bicycles - BANDAIDS, neosporin, wet wipes (had neither and went down hard - had to go into town and hit the first place I saw - a Friendlys rest.), Asperin

D

Deleted member 125

small moleskin, 3 packets of advil with 2 pills each, 2 packets of burn cream, 3 packets of suncreen, 2 packets of itch cream, 4 regular sized bandaids, emergency blanket, 2 latex gloves, a few other odds and ends.
Photo on 2015-04-10 at 13.24.jpg
all fits inside of a first aid pouch swiped from a restaurent job i had some time ago.

EphemeralStick

Reaction score
@Wawa I carry a bunch of herbal remedies too; lavender oil, ginger root, garlic, etc. I try to keep it seperate from my modern medicine and don't really count them in my kit.
@jimyf butterfly stitches are legit, I used to carry liquid stitches with me but they got used up on some nasty cuts. They're a bit difficult to get ahold of but my mom would swipe them from the hospital because she's awesome.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@cantcureherpes nice first aid pouch. I'm looking for a small container to put travel related first aid in. (thinking waterproof)

I got like a huge stash of med cabinet type stuff. Everything from spray on band-aid stuff, neosporine type gel, itch cream, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol... to small deals of eye drops and wash.
Also those self-adhesive elastic wraps. Great for a sprain or if you have a minor break/bruised bone like a finger or toe.

@wizehop whiskey is a good one. :)

And I don't really like stitches... have only had them a couple times.

Other times had some nasty cuts showing a bit of meat and flap of skin before.
Just wrapped the heck outa them for a week or so. First couple days with a good amount of pressure. (those selfadheisve wraps are great for this...) and then let them heal naturally.
Leaves a scar but don't have to treat myself like a piece of rawhide. Hah... though if I ever did get a gash big enough... having some kinda anesthetic would be useful to be able to stitch oneself up.

Anyone know of a local numbing agent? Something natural or that you could get in a med kit? Would figure its something not available just anywhere...
Unless... tattoo piercing place?

Reactions: Zoetica and Kal

EphemeralStick

Reaction score
Anyone know of a local numbing agent? Something natural or that you could get in a med kit? Would figure its something not available just anywhere...

Chloraseptic maybe? Although the other things that are added to it probably shouldn't get into your blood, like the artificial flavoring.

I know you can get prescription strength numbing agent from doctors for things like strep throat that doesn't have any other active ingredients but I can't remember what's it's called.

It's like this bottle of all thick numbing goo. I figure a few dabs of that stuff and you should be tolerate the pain of self stitches but honestly I'd just use butterfly stitches or even regular super glue.

stitches arent very practical when it comes to first aid outside of a hospital. This is because the risk of infection is incredibly high, seeing as there's no way to properly sterilize your needle and whatever thread you use for the job.

Super glue works well enough but you have to be careful with which kind you use since there are a lot of adhesives that are toxic.

Butterfly stitches are the best way to go, hands down.

lone wolf

Reaction score
Whiskey?... Cant say I've ever been one to be prepared along those lines, although its definitely worth having. The only meds I tend to always try to have is Advil, other wise I usually just let nature run its course.
if you're waking up with headaches after a night of drinking whiskey reach for a bottle of water and save yourself a few dollars on advil. most people experince headaches because they are dehydrated.

• Wow
Reactions: Odin and Jaguwar

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@Odin - Neosporin has one out that has a pain killer in it. Think it's >$6 a tube - little pricey but lasts a long time - If I can get the little packets - I like that better. Never done a side by side test (neosporin with pain killer and neo without) but I'd like to think it works :) And yeah forgot about butterfly stitches - they've saved me from a couple of ER visits (plus some tape - took an hour to stop that bleeding hehe).

I'm starting my busy season with bicycle races, etc and attending some other shows - with the tables of samples and giveaways - I occasionally find medical ins companies with a table and on the good times they will have those small med kits (other than pens or post it note pads). And thanks to other kind companies there who give you bags with their logo on it - it becomes a nice carry container for the freebies. Will think of you guys ws if I fin some (and snag them). :)

spoorprint

Reaction score
I haven't looked, I'm doing this from memory. In a plastic container that can fit in a butt pocket .
moleskin
4 2x2 pads
silver ointment
Ibuprofen 200 mg.
Orajel (my teeth break)
scissors (kids-trauma shears wouldn't fit0.
tiniest eye drops I can find.
a couple band aids and blister pads.
1 pare gloves in case I need to help someone else.(stuffed in the top).
the case wrapped in duct tape.
clortrimaton,
That goes in my pack.

In my pocket: mint tin with a few pepto bismo tablets, molesin (pre-cut) bandaids
a wet wipe, two Ibuprofen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoetica

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one rocking a tourniquet and some hemostatics for serious bleeding. Butterfly closures are great, I've found them in pharmacies as of late, so they are becoming more common, though if you really need something stitched together, I'd go with a medical stapler before I fool around with a sewing needle. I also carry many 2x2 gauze pads, a stretch bandage, tweezers, medical shears (useful for cutting any kind of fabric and cheap- and spoorprint, they do make mini-medic shears, too) 2 pairs of exam gloves, alcohol, rescue remedy (to calm injured people down), tea tree oil, honey, and a few odds and ends. As you can tell, I'm a former street medic. I'd carry more if I were actually medicking or traveling though.

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Get yourself a tube of Anbesol, or the generic equivalent. It's marketed as an oral analgesic for toothaches and the like. Just look for any active ingredient that ends in "-caine" - that's code for a local anaesthetic of some sort. In this case it's benzocaine. Lidocaine is another common one. But I suggest the Anbesol because it's a gel and a more concentrated formulation. Dab it on like Neosporin and you're golden for a good several hours.

Last edited:

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
As for me, I guess you could call me a "street medic" too. My big talent is pharmacology, so I'm pretty good at pulling any dirt-cheap generic from the shelves and finding a hundred different uses for it. (Did you know that the big brand $100 face creams have the same active ingredient as aspirin? Ask me why my skin looks so great!) If something ails you, and you're not in immediate danger of dying, I can probably find you a cure for under $5 at the local Rite-Aid. Medicine is cheap, people.

In my kit I have (mostly generics):
  • NSAIDs of some type
  • loperamide
  • antihistamines
  • hydrocortisone cream
  • aloe vera gel
  • tea tree oil
  • Visine
  • antibacterial gel, i.e. Neosporin
  • band-aids, gauze, and medical tape
  • antiseptic wipes
  • New Skin (liquid bandage)
@finn the Rescue Remedy is a GREAT idea. I often get stuck with the kids who are having a major physiological and psychological meltdown and I definitely could have used something like that. For some reason when you tell someone they aren't dying, it makes them even more convinced that they are dying.

• Useful
Reactions: Frodo and Zoetica

Antelope Bob

Soul Seeker
Reaction score
1 bandage
1 medical sewing kit
Alcohol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads