What's Florida like to be homeless in? | Squat the Planet

What's Florida like to be homeless in?

up2eleven

Reaction score
I need to be somewhere warm because I get cold very easily. Can't afford a ticket to Hawai'i. So I'm thinking of Miami or anywhere else in south FL. Never been to the state. Anything I should know about that area? Places that give out food? Safe sleep spots? How the locals are? Ease of getting SNAP?

Any info at all would help. Thanks!

kidbob

Reaction score
DO UR HOMEWORK MAN!
everything u just asked about....can be found by reading the threads...florida is super easy

ATX

Reaction score
Have never bummed it too much there, but I grew up in central Florida. The whole state to me is kind of a shit hole. The cops are absolutely horrible and ruthless, and most people are incredibly old and retired or on crack. There are also a ton of bums because of the weather. The one time I did go down there to visit and bum a little bit, everyone was really hostile to me and I made absolutely nothing flying a sign. Camping on the beach, unless you go to a remote location, is out of the question. I've heard getting SNAP is kind of difficult too, you will definietly need to get a Florida ID. It thrives a lot on the tourism industry, and like most tourist states, not a place to be if you have no money. That's just my two cents though and there may be a totally awesome part of Florida that I've never been to.

Have you considered the Southwest at all, or south Texas or something? Lots of open land to camp on without getting bothered, warm weather, and you can just go over a little bit and get SNAP super easy in california. General Assistance too. Arizona and NM were awesome to me flying a sign.

up2eleven

Reaction score
I did a search, but most of what I found was people needing rides in and out of FL.
I'm in AZ now, but nights are still too chilly for me. Maybe San Diego would be better.

ATX

Reaction score
Really? The low temps look about the same to me online, with Florida honestly a couple of degrees lower. San Diego looks a bit warmer though. Just to let you know though, you can find flights to HI for like $200 or so with Hawaiin Airlines. Actually in fact on certain dates I see as low as $129 from Oakland... you can fly for that easy...

https://apps.hawaiianairlines.com/c...y=19&out_month=1&return_day=27&return_month=1

D

Deleted member 20

If you are planning to be Homeless then you have already given up. A geographical solution wont work towards living a better life unless you have the life skills & attitude to accomplish them. SNAP/EBT is a federal program & is available everywhere. Having the correct documents is more important than where you are. I travel with my SNAP card issued in Massachusetts & never had a problem using in other states. That being said had I not had all of my official documents I would never had gotten ebt, SSDI for my wife or any other assistance had I not had them.

I do know that Florida has some of the most anti homeless laws in the country. This seems like a new chapter in your life, maybe a midlife crisis? At 45 I would hope that you have some sort of survival skills in this world. You can use the internet & are posting here, so this is a start, but life is generally a DIY endeavor so the burden of basic research, trial & error etc falls on all of us individually. Since you are asking in advance then you still have hope. Being Homeless to me is having no will to live or ever trying to improve your lot. Homebums are the same everywhere, they all just gave up! Most mumble the same nonsense & shuffle around as if there is a humbum training program taught somewhere. Have you ever heard the term houseless not homeless?

I completely understand that you are ready to torch the white picket fence & get away from the cubicle but being Homeless aint the way. A home, regardless if its a house, cabin, apt, trailer, rv, microhome, shed, squat, tent or sleeping bag is a psychological possession. Do you have options? A drivers license? Car? How do you get around? Can you coexist with others in a communal environment? I would keep reading stuff & networking with others here on STP. I get it, you are done with being in the cyclic wage slave consumer vortex. That don't mean that there aint still work to be done. The reality is that you need to aquire some skills to survive & retain your will to survive in style & actually improve your life instead of becoming an angry homebum. Good luck man.

Last edited:

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I live in south Florida and there are quite a few places to squat if you know where to look. As for how easy it's going to be homeless in Florida, it would depend on your method of travel, what you would do to make money, etc. The people of south Florida in general do not treat homeless people nicely and panhandling down here is hard I think. I don't know of any soup kitchens but I'm sure there are some around here. If you ever do come down here though, I would be glad to help you out.

Reactions: run998rs and Odin

acab wvlf

Reaction score
I have been homeless in Florida on and off for nine years mostly couch surfing but I've been in a tent the last couple months. I'm in Volusia county now. They treat the homeless well here because there isn't many of us and there is absolutely no other punks here. There's free food everyday of the week and panhandling is decent. I'm headed to south Florida in a week or two to see some old friends and record with my old band before I travel. Let's chill dude.

Last edited:

Dmac

Reaction score
If you are still in Arizona, check out the Tucson area. I have read good things about it on this site. Might be worth a try.

Reactions: buffalobill

kidbob

Reaction score
Every one of u gave solid advice! and i appoligize for coming off as a dick...wit my CAPITAL letters..
When i hear ppl ask about florida..the first thing that comes to mind
Is a "vagrant vacation": "yah dude imma go down to florida and live on the beach drink beer all day and swim with tge dolphines"
thats my thought process atleast
I agree with you about a home being a possession.doesnt matter what shape it is...as long as u can shut a door and the cops cant see ur crustie face they dont care.unless ur wedged inbetween to chainlink fences seperatin the tracks from bussiness lots..then thats a grey area and cops dont like grey areas..
Florida in my oppinion as far as hitching or backpacking or camping in city limits goes...cops HATE you! jump off in p-cola beech landing with ur camping pack and see if those nice sherrifs on bikes will tell u the dos and donts just befor they write u a ticket and take u to jail.
Theres citys to avoid thats for sure..and some citys worth exploring...like chattahoochie...there is a great place worth exploring but nobody stops there any more...they pass threw and dont stay too long then.maybe the nut house and lack of hustle and bustle have to do with it.or the fact the cops run u off right away.the river is good tho..great infact.
Homelessness is a state of mind man..it involves u feeling hopeless.and that can lead to wreckless decisions.
Make positive choices in ur life and live in a manner that reflects those choices and presto manifesto there u r mister

Reactions: ATX

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads