What towns can you still cross the border w no id? | Squat the Planet

What towns can you still cross the border w no id?

CouchPunx

Reaction score
Heading to mexico soon and dont have a passport. I used to just cross on foot in tijuana and deal with the extra scrutiny on the way back but in the past year or two they've started checking people as they enter.

I know some crossings in texas dont check id, but does anyone have information for CA or AZ? Nogales, Mexicali, Tecate, Sonoita? Has anyone crossed recently in these places on foot or driving?

Mongo

Reaction score
Last time I drove into Mexicali they didn't check my I.D. but that was a couple years ago.

CouchPunx

Reaction score
Naw man i go to mexico pretty often, im saying that in the past couple years theyve started making you show yr passport upon entry into mexico at SOME border crossings, just wondering if anybody has crossed recently somewhere that didnt happen. Lost my passport and would rather not have to hop in.

Otherwise im gonna try to cross a few places and will let you know what happens.

Reactions: beersalt

Hudson

Reaction score
The passport card is pretty easy to get and alot cheaper than the passport book. Does not require stamps and allows you to cross as many times as you like. I got the book and card for trucking.

Last time I checked you needed the card at a minimum in Tijuana and every other border crossing.

CouchPunx

Reaction score
And did they check for your id to get to Mexico?
No they didnt check id, because i dont have any. It depends on how you're travelling. I think southbound you're generally ok, but there are sometimes military checkpoints that want to make sure you have a visa, etc. Mostly they're looking for central americans, but you can certainly get caught up, and if the cops are messing with you about something else it will suck to not have a passport.

Reactions: Wert

Ceed

Reaction score
They wont even look at you while going to mexico, most of places. Ive never been searched and i crossed over 10 times on foot and in a van. But they will ask for passport when going back to usa. Also, they usually have a tralling free zone from the us border to about 30km generally south of the borders on the mexican side, where they will ask your for a formula migratoria (fmm), which you need to get at the office back at the border. Withtout your fmm and passport, they wont let you pass at the reten (checkpoint). Also, they might let you go through ta checkpoint (sometimes for a bribe), but the next one might refuse.

Reactions: roughdraft

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads