What to pack? | Squat the Planet

What to pack?

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Bare minimum, you're gonna want a couple changes of clothes, a marker or two (edit: black, for making panhandling/destination signs), a climate appropriate sleeping bag, a tarp and maybe a yoga mat or some kind of sleeping pad if you don't like hunting for cardboard.
Additional things I suggest are a multitool, some rope and really good shoes on your feet. Even if you're hitching, you're gonna be doing a bit of walking.

D

Deleted member 125

Theres a entire section on the forum dedicated to gear. Iirc theres even a few stickied threads where people have discussed what gear works for them and what's not so great to haul.

Bushpig

Reaction score
Bare minimum, you're gonna want a couple changes of clothes, a marker or two (edit: black, for making panhandling/destination signs), a climate appropriate sleeping bag, a tarp and maybe a yoga mat or some kind of sleeping pad if you don't like hunting for cardboard.
Additional things I suggest are a multitool, some rope and really good shoes on your feet. Even if you're hitching, you're gonna be doing a bit of walking.
Don't take more than one extra pair of pants. Max of 3 shirts.
Replace marker with crayons. Cheap or free and won't dry out.
A lot of people prefer a bivy to a tarp. Personal preference.
I never use rope. Ymmv.

Footwear Is SUPER IMPORTANT! And socks. Do NOT neglect your feet. Seriously.

morphine

Reaction score
If you plan on staying outdoors alot take something to purify water with you. I wouldn't suggest just drinking water from a creek or lake if you don't really know what you're doing. Some purifying tablets or a filter system.

Reactions: Marc ebach67

00SPART00

Reaction score
Compass, rice, mess kit , zippi, flint and steel wool and steel, container of water canteen , sleeping bag obviously, flashlight. Whistle for emergencies, those loud train whistles they're cylydricle

Bushpig

Reaction score
Compass, rice, mess kit , zippi, flint and steel wool and steel, container of water canteen , sleeping bag obviously, flashlight. Whistle for emergencies, those loud train whistles they're cylydricle
I would actually recommend not carrying a Zippo. I love them, and own a few, but they run out of fuel too much. Plus you have to carry fuel with you. A Bic lasts for ages and is lightweight. Keep the Zippo at home unless you don't mind a bunch of extra weight.

• Agree
Reactions: Troubie

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
2 day supply of water, 2 day supply of food(minimum) you will want some extra clothes but not much as they are very bulky, and at least in my experience, the longer I'm on the road, the less I care about really clean clothes. 1 extra pair of pants, 2 shirts, underwear if you use them, and the clothing item I find most important, a couple extra pairs of socks. Traveling in summer is hot and sweaty. I like to be able to throw on clean socks every 2 days. A couple bandanas as they are very multipurpose. I choose to carry the extra weight of an actual tent(although a small tent) instead of a small bivy, the reason for this is when you stay in one place for a couple nights it's nice to be able to relax in your tent.

00SPART00

Reaction score
I would actually recommend not carrying a Zippo. I love them, and own a few, but they run out of fuel too much. Plus you have to carry fuel with you. A Bic lasts for ages and is lightweight. Keep the Zippo at home unless you don't mind a bunch of extra weight.

I actually did think of this. And have never carried a zippo lighter with me travelling unless I have minds a little cluttered at the momment. Bics awesome

Comedy

Reaction score
Transcend into the great wide world with..... Nothing

Well... At least that's what I did at first, navigating to nearby areas with some water and a snack bar or two.

This tested myself out so I would be able to figure out what I NEEDED and not bringing a house.

SWAMPxASSx420

Reaction score
Baby powder with aloe or just corn starch. Swamp ass and chafing will kill your progress really damn fast.
Preventing/dealing with chafing is underrated. A lot of people don't realize how much that'll fuck up your trip.

Ain’t no telling when I’ll come a creepin’ and I’m always a-lingerin’ ready to burn like a wet stack of hay bales.

I also recommend a hammock, they’re super cheap and light you never know when you might wanna take a snooze of even sit comfortably and read in the woods.

Bushpig

Reaction score
Is a tent definitely too heavy to take?
Nothing is too heavy if you're okay hauling it. Most people would say my sleep system is too heavy, but it's important to me, so it comes with.

You can get light tents as well. I like a camping hammock best. I carry a bivy too in case there's nowhere to hang.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads