What to Feed Your Dog to Keep Them Healthy

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Damn it guys! Your dogs have a rough enough time on the road, why not at least feed them right? well I wrote this up just for dog owners that want to make their dog healthy but dont know how.

First of all:

I dont care what anyone says about garlic being good for dogs, ITS NOT. it eats away at their digestive system. they are carnivores NOT like people who can pretty much eat any old garbage. as for scrap human food, its the worst diet imaginable for a dog and will weaken their immune system, give them worms, give them doggy diabetes, heart problems, tombers, and ruin their intestines. remember, its just like seeing some 200lb 12 year old kid at mcdonalds and his mom is buying a super sized meal for him. Just because he says he wont eat anything else doesnt mean you should kill off his health to make him happy or because you dont want him to be hungry.

Spoiling your dog:

I had to work with my dog alot on food because she doesnt eat much on the road and the only dog food she can eat is organic corn-free dry dog food. The corn is regular food makes her itch constantly and puke, this alergy is very common in large dogs. Corn is horrible for dogs by the way and is the main ingrediant in 90% of dog food brands.

my dog luna was raised on only dry dog food, then i housed up for a year with my dad because he was ill. He would take any leftovers from our meals, heat it up, and mix it with dry dog food. Luna had this for a year, every day. Now after i moved out and my dad passed she refused to eat anything dry and not human food. She's already a thin-tall built dog who burns alot of calories and it made me worry about her losing weight going from a house with alot of calories to walking all day and barely eating.

(remember: dry dog food by it's self is perfectly healthy as long as you buy the right kind.)

The transition from spoiled dogs addicted to human food back to dry dog food:

Instead of doing what normal people would do like feeding her scraps of every meal i got or giving her wet dog food that is harsh on her stomache, I started just putting some warm tap water in her dry dog food and mixing it until it created a kind of gravy. now she could eat healthy and enjoy her food. I fed her that for about a week then switched back to normal dry. It wasnt as huge as a transision from "awesome food" in her book to borring dry food so she started eating dry food again as normal and still kept on her normal weight. if this doesnt work, have dry food available at all times but dont feed him/her anything else. he'll get the point and start eating once he's hungry as long as you make sure no one feeds him. dogs can go days without food and still be healthy, dont stress, just get him off that spoiled ass scrap food. Human food is like crack to dogs, they actually get addicted to the taste and know how to get it from people, so just like an addict, keep a close eye and make sure your friends know not to feed him scraps.

The real trick is after you train him to eat dry again is to NEVER feed him human food unless it's nessecary and you have no way to get dog food. Then he'll forget what it ever tasted like after a while and the begging and craving will stop and he'll realise that begging doesnt get him any food. If your dog is on the road try to feed him more than once a day. Indoor living only needs one feeding a day.

So what to avoid feeding your dog?:

--raw garlic(acid from garlic eats away at intestines and can cause bleeding if given too much)
--corn filler dog food (check ingrediants on your dog food, try to find dog food without corn ingredients or avoid the food with corn in the beginning of the ingredients list.)
--breadthey recieve no nutrients and its crap food for them. could also cause damage or diabetes in animals.
--Pasta: the bleached flour and sauses/spices normally in pasta are just stomahce upsetting empty calories.
--flavorings: pepper, garlic, sauces, salt, spicy things, boulion, anything freeze dried
--veggies: just because they are good for you doesnt mean they're good for the dog. canines are carnivores, their bodies arent meant to have some dirty kid shoving broccoli down their throat because you think it will cure or avoid an ailment just because you heard your hippy friend that does too much acid talk about natural animal health.
--oils: nothing fried, no butter, salad dressing, bacon grease, anything like that will cause painful diarhea and stomache lining damage.
--Marijuana: some people get their dogs stoned, fine. do what you want, my dog likes eating pot, the only problem is when a dog injests weed it's actually a poison and can cause them to shit blood and vomit yellow. If you must get your dog stoned keep it to the smoke and remember that they have no tolerence, one hit does it.
--wet dog food: some people feed their dogs wet dog food but the reality is that its full of preservatives and who the fuck knows what else. wet food normally gives dogs the shits anyway. Though people kickdown alot of wet food it should only be used if your dog is underweight and needs to put on a couple pounds.
--anything the dog wont eat dont force to feed them either, no matter who told you it was good for them. dogs are very basic and know pretty much what their body cant handle.

Things good to feed your furry friend:

-dry dog food with absolutely or barely any corn: most "working breed" dogs such as boarder collies, german shepards, labs, and golden retrievers are actually allergic to corn causing skin irritation/vomiting/hair falling out/ripping their own fur out and loss of appitite. Plus, it's just a useless vegetable, it holds no nutrients and cant even be digested by people or animals. It's genetically altered so much its only a "filler" so dog food companies make more dog food out of barely any useful foods for dogs like meat and dairy. The more corn the cheaper the dog food, the cheaper the dog food the more people buy it. Its a big scam and in the end your dog eats a full bowl of food and only gets a half cup of non-corn. dog food without corn is more expensive but makes a huge difference in your dogs coat, appetite(it tastes better with no corn), and energy level. When someone offers to buy you dog food just mention your dog cant eat anything but dry-corn free dog food because of a skin allergy and most people will understand paying the extra $3 for a 5 lb bag of good dog food.

Dry Dog Food Brands; what to buy what not to buy:

most supermarkets dont carry cornless dog food but may carry some with barely any corn:
-chef michael's
-goodlife recipe

If your at a petco/petsmart these are the brands you want:
-Natural Choice
-Nature's Recipe
-wellness simple solutions
-nature's best
-organix
-solid gold
-humane choice

AVOID:
-beniful: dogs are dying because this is just corn, meat flavor, and food dye.
-alpo: full of toxins
-natural life
-kibbles n bits: just garbage and food dye
-purina: 98% corn
-pedigree: 99% corn
-science diet: makes dogs hair fall out
-ol' roy: pretty much cardboard and food dye

If your dog needs more than just dry dog food for energy:

As for adding things to his food for health or extra road calories(after he's back used to eating dry food) is once a month find some raw meat without any seasoning and mix it in with his food. It's a good kick of protien and a dogs digestion track is made to handle even spoiled raw meat. just be sure to be stern and control what your dog eats. it could make him live years longer. throw a handful of raw, unseasoned meat like hamburger meat or a piece of raw steak into their dry dog food. feeding them more than once a month however may lead to extreme meat cravings so dont spoil them. And avoid pork, it carries worms.

"I thought making your dog eat raw garlic was a cheap natural way that helps with keeping fleas/ticks away?"

-if your dog gets fleas, just give him a goddamn flea bath and steal some liquid flea protectant. dont force your dog to eat garlic and smell like pochouli because you "heard" it was good for them. it's not. normally if they dont want to eat it its because they shouldnt. Fucking hippy. dogs are domesticated animals that have been using chemicals to keep pest free for a long fucking time. Just because they're chemicals doesnt mean they will hurt your dog. most chemicals derive from plants anyways.

• Useful
Reactions: drewski

Poking Victim

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to keep your dog on a high-protein/grain-free diet for free if you're in largely populated areas; especially if you're traveling. Dog boutiques are everywhere; I stop at almost every one and ask for samples or ripped bags. There are also PetSmart, Petco, Pet Food Express, etc. which are a pretty good shot, too. Petco has coupon booklets under the counter for new dog owners containing several coupons for free bags of dog food. Just ask. Asking the right employee at a chain pet food store for "ripped bags" has gotten me a %100 discount at the register.
Sometimes outreach services and food banks have good dog food.

nomad89

Reaction score
I know this is an old-ass thread but I think it's important to mention that dogs are not strictly carnivores. Technically speaking they evolved as omnivores. Other than that the OP contains a lot of useful information.

kecleon

Reaction score
I know this is an old-ass thread but I think it's important to mention that dogs are not strictly carnivores. Technically speaking they evolved as omnivores. Other than that the OP contains a lot of useful information.
It's true and some of the oldest living dogs were vegan (27 years!)

jeffyDee

Reaction score
Raw beef or chicken for food and raw carrots and banana for treats my dog is fat healthy energetic has a nice shiny coat it works i try to avoid dry food because you dont really know what they put in there if i wouldnt eat it im not going to force my mutt

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads