What to Bring?

sparky

Hakike gasuruhodo romanchikku daze !
Reaction score
So I`m starting to prepare to hit the road here`s what Ive started to get together, any suggestions would be super helpfull.

1x Alice medium with frame
2x Tarp
1x Sleeping Bag
50ft parachord
2x military canteen
2x platypus 1 lt. water bladder
1x Gerber Multi Tool
1x Fixed blade knife (could use a suggestion on a good one. I have a Kbar is that to big?)
1x BDU blouse and pants
1x Jeans
1x Athletic shorts
3x Tshirts
1x Thermals
1x navy issued Peacoat ( it`s warm even when wet but heavy should I get something else?)
4x boot socks ( I get smelly feet should I bring more)
3x boxers
1x 12 eye doc martins ( They look cool but are they good for traveling, or should I wear my steel toe combat boots?)
1x chucks

What else should I get together?

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Leave the steel toes at home. they are heavy and uncomfortable. Doc Martens will be fine. Actually this thread here explains my reasons for saying this.

http://squattheplanet.com/threads/steel-toe-boots.16293/#post-126882

Everything else on your list looks pretty good to me. There are lots of similar threads on here where people have written really comprehensive lists of gear they pack. so have a search and you can compare your list. (I'm not having a go for you posting one as well, it's all useful info) Everyone has differing opinions on what they need, just don't break your back carrying too much.

Reactions: sparky
F

Firefly

Drop 1x tarp, drop the bladders. Don't bring a Kbar its too big, bring a cheap Mora. Drop the BDUs they will bring too much attention to you, never a good idea to walk around in full battle dress. But you could use blouse as a jacket. I use one made of ripstop not cotton. Peacoat is way too heavy and using layers could get you a similar warmth for less weight, bring a hoodie.

I'd also bring a pair of gloves, knitted hat, and a bandana. A way to make a fire like a ferro rod or just a cheap lighter. Something to boil water in is a must. A medkit with sometype of antiseptic and anitbiotic cream would be a nice addition. But the most important thing is bring your brain, everything else is just luxury. Stay frosty shipmate.

D

Deleted member 125

like firefly said, ide lose one of the tarps unless you have a small tarp, i think mines 8x10 and one is fine. you might consider a bedroll or something to keep you off the ground, i carry a thick wool blanket, its real heavy but it was a gift and i love it. also maybe drop the military canteens and pick up a nalgene or some other similiar bottle. canteens are bulky and nalgense you can hang off a strap of yer pack if you need. depending on how you feel about fanny packs maybe look into one of those too, its super convienent to not have to dig through pockets for lighters, cash, ID and all of that small stuff that i like to have easily available to me.

i also wear bdu pants and love them. ive had the same pair for years and the only problem at all ive had with them is the crotch busting out a bit but it was a easy fix with a bike tube patch.

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
My Doc Martens faired well once I got over the Blisters and sores definately got to be comfortable for wearing all day from 7AM - 12AM.
they did eventually develop quite bad cracking on the sides around thr ball of the ankle but I guess it was just wear and tear and me not taking particularly great care of them.

sparky

Reaction score
I'd also bring a pair of gloves, knitted hat, and a bandana. A way to make a fire like a ferro rod or just a cheap lighter. Something to boil water in is a must. A medkit with sometype of antiseptic and anitbiotic cream would be a nice addition. But the most important thing is bring your brain, everything else is just luxury. Stay frosty shipmate.
Knew I was forgetting something. Do you guys prefer a water purifier or tablets and boiling water?

Little things like bandana's and lighters get overlooked since I normally carry 2 to three of each in my fanny pack which I fucking love and doesn't look lame at all.

like firefly said, ide lose one of the tarps unless you have a small tarp, i think mines 8x10 and one is fine. you might consider a bedroll or something to keep you off the ground, i carry a thick wool blanket, its real heavy but it was a gift and i love it.
I was thinking I'd go with the tarp instead of a bedroll since I prefer sleeping on a hard surface, should I still just loose the 2nd tarp? I'm actually pretty tempted to keep my wool blanket from the gov.

also maybe drop the military canteens and pick up a nalgene or some other similiar bottle. canteens are bulky and nalgense you can hang off a strap of yer pack if you need.
Hmm even with the handy military clips? It seemed like it would be super easy just to clip them onto my Alice.

hot sauce and condoms
I have a hot sauce holster might have to see if I can make a belt condom dispenser.

travelin

Reaction score
view
i agree with alice clipped canteens on alice pack. one on each side on the lower points. either one or two quarters work in this position.

ill mention that the top flap will hold a shit ton of stuff and ive ran across plenty folks didnt even know the flap has a compartment.

a mil spec shovel in carrier will fit right in the middle on top of the middle pocket. this will cut the capacity of that middle pocket but the little shovel is awesome to have.

there is a host of katydin water filter models. i recommend boiling the water before filtering. this calls for a one quart pan to boil the water.

para cord out the ass.

ziplock bags, sandwich, one quart and a few gallon size ones.

i recommend either the marine ILBE or the MOLLE pack with gen IV frame or the cfp-90(only mil issue made in usa, not the foreign ones or the "enhanced" ones) over the alice. medium alice will tie right up to the molle frame and the molle strap system is worlds away from alice straps. the molle frame is much more comfortable for most people than alice.

since ive never figured out how to make a pic show up on this forum here is link to pics of medium alice on molle gen IV frame with the mil issue bivy and the green patrol bag in the stuff sack on bottom of pack, one quarter canteens on the sides and the shovel over the middle pocket. look at that pic and the next one to see the straps and frame

http://squattheplanet.com/useralbums/travelins-pics.122/view

sparky

Reaction score
i recommend either the marine ILBE or the MOLLE pack with gen IV frame or the cfp-90(only mil issue made in usa, not the foreign ones or the "enhanced" ones) over the alice. medium alice will tie right up to the molle frame and the molle strap system is worlds away from alice straps. the molle frame is much more comfortable for most people than alice.

Thats a pretty badass pack. I've got the molle straps. how much does one of the frames run?

Hylyx

Reaction score
Don't forget a good length of TP. Wrap it around an old pen and keep it in a ziplock bag.
+1 on keeping wool blanket and ditching one of the tarps.

travelin

Reaction score
that frame and strap setup cost 25 bucks. that particular woodland alice was 5 bucks. the woodland stuff sack was 5 bucks.

im far away from that supplier and though i could still get stuff from him for super cheap, the shipping costs is a deal killer in my book.

that particular frame has a molle ruck on it now. that alice is long sold.

travelin

Reaction score
some folks like the alice frame just fine. a lot of it has to do with how tall you are or rather the distance from shoulders to waist.

F

Firefly

I had found a cheap Molle II on a Gen IV frame and used it for some time. Was a little skeptical about the plastic frame. About 4 months into using it I had to hop off on the fly. Tossed my rucksack over without thinking much about it. I had been using a Large Alice for years before getting this Molle, wasnt ever a problem. Long story short, frame broke off where the right shoulder strap connects in. Went back to the Large Alice. I assume though if I was more careful I'd still be using the Molle. I love my Alice ruck but damn if that other frame was loads more comfortable.

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
So I`m starting to prepare to hit the road here`s what Ive started to get together, any suggestions would be super helpfull.

1x navy issued Peacoat ( it`s warm even when wet but heavy should I get something else?)

I love peacoats and wool clothing in general but the letdown is super bulky and heavy. I use an OD army field jacket with the liner its somewhat bulky unless you seperate the shell and the liner but it weighs next to nothing, has a hood you pull out of a zipper in the collar and is water resistant. so if it starts pissing down rain I'll just throw one of those ripstop nylon pixel camo ponchos and a wool watchmans cap and be chillin. I'm looking for a parka hood attachment for it for when I go to snowy areas but I've yet to be cold in that thing usually I'm about to break a sweat in it and take it off while everyone else in camp is freezing their balls off.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
My Doc Martens faired well once I got over the Blisters and sores definately got to be comfortable for wearing all day from 7AM - 12AM.
they did eventually develop quite bad cracking on the sides around thr ball of the ankle but I guess it was just wear and tear and me not taking particularly great care of them.
no doc martens are not road worthy for shit. its just a fashion statement! get over it

stankydr0

Reaction score
I'm leaving for my first trip on the first of October I'm new to this. I'm curious on what to bring? I got the basics like hiking pack, sleeping bag, clothes, tent, etc etc. What else would I need though?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads