what the fuck is a crusty these days?

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Andrea. There is no need to conform. That concept is introduced to us at a very young age: the schools inculcate it into us as children. Because schools need to control children, they teach them regimentation. That regimentation is then continued and developed through organized sports....later, employers and govt want regimentation. I remember reading a guidebook to the AT....Why should here even be a guide to the AT?! That experience is supposed to be liberating...???....Anyways, the author recommended doing it from South to North; because "Most people do that and there must be a reason." That comment infuriated me...When I arrived on Angel Island in San Fran Bay, a ranger was there to meet me and told me there was no free camping on the island. Now I understand restrictions like that because I don't want to disturb fragile conservation areas or archaeological sites...But later a Park Ranger there refused to share the local WiFi password...Which made me think their deal is control, more than anything else...Even in natural settings, these PooButtz wanted to establish control. ???...Absolutely infuriating. I'll go as far as I have to, to evade control and its associated mindset. And so social groups evolve into cliques; and cliques develop fashions...these fashions determine group membership. Thus, nowadays, cyclists enjoy wearing spandex: I have been a cyclist all my life and have never owned spandex...???...Country Western fans wear Country Western clothes...and call themselves "Cowboys"...??....Tight pants do not make one a 'Cowboy'...anymore than spandex makes you Lance Armstrong.

Last edited:

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Andrea. There is no need to conform. That concept is introduced to us at a very young age: the schools inculcate it into us as children. Because schools need to control children, they teach them regimentation. That regimentation is then continued and developed through organized sports....later, employers and govt want regimentation. I remember reading a guidebook to the AT....Why should here even be a guide to the AT?! That experience is supposed to be liberating...???....Anyways, the author recommended doing it from South to North; because "Most people do that and there must be a reason." That comment infuriated me...When I arrived on Angel Island in San Fran Bay, a ranger was there to meet me and told me there was no free camping on the island. Now I understand restrictions like that because I don't want to disturb fragile conservation areas or archaeological sites...But later a Park Ranger there refused to share the local WiFi password...Which made me think their deal is control, more than anything else...Even in natural settings, these PooButtz wanted to establish control. ???...Absolutely infuriating. I'll go as far as I have to, to evade control and its associated mindset.

Preach it!

But...remember...it's Andy...not Andrea.

Calling me, "Andrea" makes me feel like I'm talking to my parents.

;)

Reactions: Mankini

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
Whenever you talk about labels the chance of becoming completely dogmatic may happen, but for the most part I agree with the OP. The whole reason myself and many others started traveling was for ourselves and what I thought was a radical act. I think this whole argument can be extended to the broader traveling community and its intentions being not radical at all and instead being this gross group social nihilism sped up by alcohol drugs and complacency that is boring as fuck to participate in and observe and no better then the mainstream social organizations that we all hate anyway. Most kids I meet anymore on the road are completely fine with settling for just being a fuck up, and I haven't even been on the road for that long compared to some others.

Whether it is within the crust subculture or something else, we really need to encourage each other not to be fucking dumbasses.

Primitive

Reaction score
Crustys are PUNKS, and are into crust punk bands, d-beat, grind, etc. among a long list of other related and often unrelated genres, no crusty only listend to crust, thats one cool thing about it. Alot have been getting into black metal these days for example. Doesnt mean you even gotta be a traveler, ride trains, or even live on the streets at all. Its just something that's been associated with the cultures history. Its more than just a music culture, but none the less it is a music culture. Music being the whole foundation and beggining of it all.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Oh Cool man. I'm into Green Day, Offspring, Maroon 5 as well. Maroon 5 has definitely gotten edgy in the past 3 years.

Check out the "Moves Like Jagger" track. Definitely some old school like, GG Allin influence there.

Last edited:

Primitive

Reaction score
Well you can be into whatever you want really, fucking brittney spears and shit, the whole point is crust is a music sub genre. And if people are gonna call themselves crusties, at least get into the music first.

• Haha

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
I was just kidding. Theres a segment in American Psycho where the main character talks about Genesis and Huey Lewis as if they were absolute geniuses.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads