What kind of shoes do you wear while traveling? | Squat the Planet

What kind of shoes do you wear while traveling?

Romanriff

Reaction score
If you do wear shoes and aren't barefoot (major respect) what kind of shoes do you wear while traveling? My docs have been great but they hurt my feet with out good insoles and they're expensive as all hell. In of need suggestions for new shoes.

D

Deleted member 23824

Very happy with my Danners. The re-craftable ones. But I also have a pair of non-recraftable ones for winter that are made with 600 gram Thinsulate, and Goretex. Got them when I worked in Iraq and Afghanastan ten years ago, they have held up great.

• Useful
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Hudson

Reaction score
Danners are really good, not what they use to be but they work.

I'd reccomend any kind of high support boot, maybe that's the military in me or the heavy labor jobs I've had in the past. I'd go threw about 3 pairs of Danners a year at my previous job but they hold up well on the road. Go for the USA made ones if you can afford it with some kind of toe cover if you don't have the discipline to oil them regularly.

There's also military surplus boots that are usually pretty cheap and plentiful. They have come a long way.

Highest recommendation though is to make sure whatever shoes you go for try to go for the vibram soles. Rebuildable preferred.

D

Deleted member 23824

Highest recommendation though is to make sure whatever shoes you go for try to go for the vibram soles. Rebuildable preferred.
Mostly agree with this, but not all Vibrams soles are found only on re-craftable boots. My winter ( Danner ) boots have Vibram soles, but are of a glued construction.

Most off-the-shelf mens footwear now-days is in a “D” width - medium. My feet are between 2E and 3E. I will bet you are not a true D, either, so you are bound for trouble, buying off-the- shelf. You may luck out and get close, though.

Time was when no shoestore would sell you anything before sizing your foot using a Brannock device. Alas, I seldom see them anymore.

I see you are in the city? Do yourself a favor and go to either an Allen-Edmonds or other quality footwear store and have your feet sized.

Finally, there is the matter of which “last” is best for your feet, better companies like Danner, Allen -Edmonds, Alden make several, many, even. If you check out Danner‘s site they will explain which last will work best for whom. Those other manufacrurers are mostly dress shoes.

Oh, BTW: You can have either good shoes, or cheap shoes. But you can hardly find cheap good shoes. I never knew what bad footwear was till I started wearing good footwear. I stick with Redwings for work, Allen-Edmonds for dress or casual, Danner for outdoors. And pink slippers for all else.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
I wore whatever shoes I could get. I did prefer British Knights for a good walking shoe as a teenager. But when I was camping or on a train I wore what I could. 16 - 21 years old and I was a runaway, I didn't have many options in what shoes to chose from.

For a good walking shoe for hitching or driving, my son got me turned on to DC Shoe. They are the only shoes I wear. But when I go hiking, Under Armor makes a good hiking boot. They are about $70 bucks

Reactions: WyldLyfe

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
It's getting into summer time here in Australia, it's hot, we out here bare footed, the beaches are packed today.

Runners/sneakers, work boots, and if it's hot thongs (flip flops) or bare or if just feel like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BradKajukenbo

train in vain

Reaction score
Various boots depending on what my money looks like when i need a new pair. Nothing expensive though. 100-150 max. I think im wearing wolverines now. Had em about 2 years and the soles are getting a little ehhhhhh... i usually travel with some sneakers too for when im not on/around trains.
I just got some new sort of hiking shoes. Theyre a little different than shoes ive had in the past but i tried em on and fuck they were the most comfortable thing ive stuck my foot in haha

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I always travel with pair of (usually) combat boots, and a pair of waterproof sandles.

I.e. rolled with a pair of vegan docs, that lasted me one solid year of full-time travel. Still was able to salvage some of the "pho"? Leather from the boots themselves when the soles were wrecked. Was packing around a pair of Chacos that lasted me 4+ years without a re-sole. Which the company will do if you send them in.

Another cheaper variation of ^this^ that I rolled with consisted of a brand new pair of surplus desert storm type combat boots that I scored on the shelf of a goodwill for $24. And a pair of knock-off Chaco style sandals for $10 at walmart. Which I have been really impressed by. The boots lasted me 1 year. The sandals are still going strong after 6 months.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Reaction score
I wear Meindl Airstream. Theyre boots meant for forestry work, but I got them from my job a couple years back. Theyre great but are starting to wear out a bit. Ill go military surplus for my next set of boots or maybe something like redwings

superphoenix

Reaction score
I wear sneakers that I buy for under $40 that I wear to the ground after thousands of miles of walking over the course of half the year, then toss them out when they start to rip and get another pair. My boots haven't failed me though (though much less comfortable to walk in)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Reactions: Coywolf

MFB

Reaction score
Lightweight, quick drying, trail runners.
Preferably Merrells.
I cant stand anything that crosses over my ankles.

• Agree
Reactions: r3yn

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Merrell actually seems to have gone downhill at some point in the recent past. I ordered a pair of boots a while ago and the workmanship quality was shoddy enough that I ended up playing hot potato ordering the same thing from various sites then returning each weird irregular seeming pair until I got ones that were messed up in a way I could actually fix. Basically ended up spending $100 on a $200 pair of boots I had to trim the leather down on myself.

If you're going off a trail then boots might be kinda important. Otherwise just get whatever shitty sneakers are comfortable to walk forever in and replace them every 6 months. Just not like Converse or Vans or whatever.

• Agree
Reactions: roughdraft

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
If you're going off a trail then boots might be kinda important. Otherwise just get whatever shitty sneakers are comfortable to walk forever in and replace them every 6 months. Just not like Converse or Vans or whatever.

Yep, second that. Except that I really like Converse or Vans (or lookalikes) ... I mean those were my preferred shoes since my teenage years. But they can go downhill quite quickly.

chucks.jpg

Those only held a few months. Problem was that a piece of red-hot coal fell on my shoe as I was sitting at a campfire (at about the middle of the shoe) and burned through the canvas (and gave me blisters at both foot and fingers from getting the cole out). And with that big hole, the canvas quickly ripped ...

Also, sitting on the pavement with legs crossed really quickly results in holes in the canvas.

r3yn

Reaction score
Mesh trail runners. Watershoe concept, but looking casual and also just a bit professional, i guess. I call them my ninja shoes. I wear them for anything from hopping trains to parkour to work. Of course, they don't offer any god damned protection at all, so if you buy something like this, make sure you have a high dex score so you can dodge the fuck outta the way and otherwise be ninja-quick on your toes. hahahaaaaaa

Well maybe don't buy from Amazon, but for ease of seeing the general shoe idea, check the link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJM7H5Y/

• Haha
Reactions: dumpster harpy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads