What Kind of Bicycle?

Pearlu

Reaction score
I've been thinking of hitting the road again, an I have a little cash, but I don't think I want to buy a vehicle, I do but I don't. Anyways my question is what kind of Bicycle do y'all suggest or recommend I buy if I decide to tour on it.

Pearlu

Reaction score
Eh tell me about it, I sold my vintage trek 400 to a bike shop after my old school American wheels were stolen, from my mom's garage, along with recyclables. All bad, I had barely gotten out of the hospital too. I want a mountain bike style bike but they cost a pretty penny. :/​

D

Deleted member 125

how much money is a little cash? you could tour on a 60 dollar thrift store bike or you could tour on a 1500 dollar bike, either is doable. i prefer road bikes over mountain bikes for longer rider its just more comfortable to me, i personally have a hard time giving advice to people on what kind of bike to get because its different for everybody, and as much as i love the convenience of buying stuff online i find with bikes its better to buy from a physical store that way you can get a feel for the bike before you buy it. you planing on going with a trailor or panniers? personally i find panniers much more comfortable and easier to use in general if you know how to pack yer gear right. what do you plan to pack? have you ever toured before?

bike touring is a blast man i hope this was helpful.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Three speed steel frame all day. Low maintenance, cheap, keeps ya in shape. Best with a sub ten pound setup for sleeping and camping gear. Go with a cheap, solid bike, and all the rest of the cash you might have put toward a super lit-ass bike - put it into an ultralight gear setup. Even terrible bikes are p fun when your shit weighs very little. Also maintaining bikes sucks sometimes and simple bikes are better in this regard.

my two cents

D

Deleted member 9462

I've toured on an old Schwinn steelframe road bike and a Gary Fisher mountain bike with front shocks that I outfitted with trekking bars and trail tires. I don't think I have any pics on this tablet from the tour.. You can tour on anything, my recommendation would be to ride it a bunch before you set out. Maybe experiment with different bar types and take a couple 50 mile rides...

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hi there - you are in the right subforum here and there is some information here on bicycles and equipment, if you haven't already looked into it. I also (can't find it atm) input here several links to some bicycle forums I am on and haven't been on in a while. One big one was http://www.bikeforums.net/ who has a touring section with many other informational subforums on there. I still like my trek 1200 but I'd put .25 m tires back on it - put the skinnies on it for city/country riding. Racks and panniers also fit on there well. Keep the questions coming - there are some stp people out there traveling by bicycle right now or are planning on it. :)

Reactions: Pearlu

Pearlu

Reaction score
how much money is a little cash? you could tour on a 60 dollar thrift store bike or you could tour on a 1500 dollar bike, either is doable. i prefer road bikes over mountain bikes for longer rider its just more comfortable to me, i personally have a hard time giving advice to people on what kind of bike to get because its different for everybody, and as much as i love the convenience of buying stuff online i find with bikes its better to buy from a physical store that way you can get a feel for the bike before you buy it. you planing on going with a trailor or panniers? personally i find panniers much more comfortable and easier to use in general if you know how to pack yer gear right. what do you plan to pack? have you ever toured before?

Well I've been looking into buying one of those really expensive mountain bikes, but they're hella of expensive, been looking looking to see if I find a cheap one but they don't come cheap. I used have a road bike, a vintage Trek 400 from the 1980s, beautiful bike, but I got rid of it, I used to put miles on that bike. I want to have panniers on it. No I haven't bike toured before, an I just plan on packing essentials like tent sleeping bag, stove, a little bit of clothes, some food and water, an maybe some books.

Pearlu

Reaction score
the troll is looking real good for that but its alittle pricey i would have gotten it if i did impulse buy the awol, but it has racks, fenders and it does reasonably well off road , also i got a sale price on it 250 off so i am grateful for that
Which troll do you speak off? Bahaha

Pearlu

Reaction score
the troll is looking real good for that but its alittle pricey i would have gotten it if i did impulse buy the awol, but it has racks, fenders and it does reasonably well off road , also i got a sale price on it 250 off so i am grateful for that
Ah now I see what you're talking about I had to look it up, its a type of bike! Cool cool, I'm looking now!

Stella Lum

Reaction score
I've been thinking of hitting the road again, an I have a little cash, but I don't think I want to buy a vehicle, I do but I don't. Anyways my question is what kind of Bicycle do y'all suggest or recommend I buy if I decide to tour on it.
Get one of those two seaters lol

• Haha
Reactions: Pearlu and todd

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads