What is a "Punk"?

robertpaccard

Reaction score
From what I knew a "Punk" was a edgy anti trendy aggressive young person with a multi collered mohawk hair dew....The Ramones are now old men and half of them are dead.. I am just a old man who loves to travel on the cheap by bike and rail and am not into making a fashion statement...I just want to go along to get along,,,Though that's kinda hard in some circles these days..

roguetrader

Reaction score
the four original members of the Ramones are all deceased amigo ! and while they might have been the original punk band, there's much more to the scene than those guys...

punk means many things to many people, but to me a true 'hardcore' punk is someone who's beliefs are strong enough and systemised enough, that they choose a life apart from mainstream society... because they view the current system as having major flaws -

our planet is being destroyed so that a minority can get very rich and the majority can have more shiny new toys to play with each month - couple that with the 'divide & rule' tactics those in power utilise to keep us all apart and it all starts to look really fucked up !

It's all about perception....

Reactions: Ceannairc

Tremor

Banjolele Strummer
Reaction score
To me punk only has to be three things; anti-authoritarian, anti-mainstream, and DIY. They kinda form a punk trinity. Conservatives can never be punk because they are pro-authority and mostly pro right wing mainstream. What disqualifies something from being "punk" is if not anyone can just jump in and do it. If it requires a fancy degree or years of training, it's not punk. Etc. You get the idea.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads