News & Blogs - What I Learned Hitchhiking Across Canada | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs What I Learned Hitchhiking Across Canada

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-...hitchhiking-across-canada?utm_source=vicefbuk

What I Learned Hitchhiking Across Canada
August 28, 2015

by Emma Cosgrove

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687541-size_1000.jpg

Photos by Emma Cosgrove

This article originally appeared on VICE US.

Blink 182's self-titled album is blaring and I'm feelin' it. I take of sip of a Molson Canadian and pass it to my partner Nathan as we head towards the Northern Ontario city of Sault Ste. Marie in the back seat of a beat-up silver sedan. Helena rides shotgun and is drinking Wild Vines out of the bottle. She is 32 and her boyfriend/the driver Larry has a beer in his cup holder—it's his first of the day, he says. He works in a slaughterhouse and says it's hard because "you're killing things all day." An hour ago, Helena and Larry took a pit stop to have sex in the washroom of a Tim Hortons and now they're all giggly.

Helena and Larry are ride number 11 of the 45 vehicles who pay heed to the outstretched thumbs of Nathan and myself on our month-long 5,600 mile journey from Toronto to Salt Spring Island, British Columbia and back. We're curious, we're sick of the city, we lack the requisite fear that would prevent us from attempting to hitchhike anywhere.

Our route is straightforward because Canada is so goddamn barren. There's only one way to cross it: the country-spanning Trans Canada Highway. Our cardboard sign simply says "WEST."

We carry tools for survival: sleeping bags, tent, camp stove, fuel canister, dry food, water purification tablets, insect repellent, first aid kit, clothing, duct tape, multiple tarps, massive amounts of rope, and massive amounts of weed.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687576-size_1000.jpg

Ontario is a wet, slow-moving, mosquito orgy. We bypass the hitchhiker graveyard known as Wawa but hit roadblocks in Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay. Ontarians are ruthless. It takes us five days to get out of the most populated province in Canada, yet it will only take five more days to cross the rest of the country. (The first seven are showerless. After ten years of Lady Speed Sticking my odor into oblivion, I accept my natural homo sapien-y scent.)

There are specific techniques vital to hitchhiking. Much of our time is spent in search of the Best Place to Stand, the criteria being a shoulder wide enough for vehicles to pull over onto, which is located on the edge of town before the traffic gets too fast. Anything after a stoplight or under 35 mph is golden. I stand in front of Nathan so drivers make a split-second decision based on a woman, not a heavily bearded man. If our driver is a lady by herself—which is rare, but happens a handful of times—I ride shotgun.

Truck stops, contrary to popular belief, are fruitless hitching territory. Drivers there don't want other truckers to see them picking up hitchhikers—it's against company/insurance policy. But on the open road, some say fuck it; four different transport trucks traveling 60 mph pull over for us. I feel the safest in their spacious cabs, being driven by experienced professionals who can't risk doing any weird shit because their job is on the line. Except Delroy, the sweet Jamaican man who stops three times to smoke three full joints.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687603-size_1000.jpg

As a rule, we never stray far from the road. Each night, we stumble around in the dark behind motels and at the edge of the treeline, probing for a place to pitch our tent—always within earshot of the highway. We look for somewhere dry with level ground and adequate cover.

We eat out of our backpacks as much as possible: oatmeal for breakfast, beans and rice for dinner, trail mix to fill the gaps in our bellies. But sometimes it seems that A&W has effectively annexed the country and we are unable to walk five feet without absently entering one in search of burgers, breakfast sandwiches, and/or root beer floats. We forage for wild blackberries (which are everywhere in BC and considered a weed) and strawberries whenever they're around. In Calgary we strut into a Comfort Inn like we're on the guest list, stash our bags in the unlocked pool room, and gorge ourselves on hot breakfast.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687615.jpg

On average, 60 percent of our drivers are successful, middle-aged white dads; they buy us meals and tell us about hard work. Many of them hitchhiked in their youth and can't bear passing by a reasonable-looking thumber.

We quickly become aware of our privilege as a couple of white, able-bodied, "straight," clean-looking young folks on the road. People call us cute even though our skin is caked with dirt and we have knives in our pockets. They shower us with Subway, midnight truck-stop breakfasts, cookies, money, bottled water, beers, ice cream, drugs, home-cooked meals, canned luncheon meat. To them, we aren't sketchy—we're travelers. Single men by themselves, especially those of color, have a visibly harder time than us. They dot the roads where drivers skip over them to pick us up, even if they're first in line.

Nearly as jarring as our privilege is the array of randomly generated humans we're forced to interact with for extended periods of time. We have minimal control over the people who pick us up and are consequently exposed to a mixed bag of characters.

I keep a cumulative list of drivers in my notebook, each with a nickname. Boat Rich, Kush Grandpa, John the Racist, Four Divorces, Nice Mike, Mtl Sk8 Hippies, Goat Cheese People, etc.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687634-size_1000.jpg

One of our first drivers is a huge Bill O'Reilly fan; he's listening to the Fox News personality on the radio when we get in his truck. A heated political debate about race relations ensues—we hold our tongues so he doesn't kick us out of his vehicle. Shitty people are really good at letting you know they're shitty people. We encounter at least two more—one guy who tells us to stay out of northern Winnipeg because it's filled with "natives," and another who says hitchhiking was banned because women in the 70s would cry rape, sue, win, and take all the money of innocent men.

Other drivers are beautifully eccentric. A truck driver named Robert, hauling a load of produce to Thunder Bay, defies the trucker archetype in every way. He brings Lunchables with him on his journeys and makes painted wood cutouts of Disney princesses for his friends.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687667-size_1000.jpg

Two more unconventional folks are Glen and Tammy, who pick us up in Golden, BC. The inside of their car is covered in stickers, plastic flowers, and smiley-face knick knacks. They were unofficially married this year on 4/20—their ceremony included bubbles. Glen runs a scam website ("Do You Want to Make $3,000 a Day from Home?") and he tells us to visit it as a payment for the ride. Tammy is roughly 50 but looks 75 and is the happiest person I have ever met. She talks non-stop for two hours, smokes lots of weed, and turns around at one point to say, "I'm so happy you guys are here with us."

We meet many more outstanding people. Sam, a First Nations community leader, is kind and wise. He tells us it costs people on his reserve an $85 cab fare to get to and from the nearest grocery store, which is 45 minutes away. Primary school teachers are hard to keep because the reserve can't afford to pay them well, and high schools are so far away that students are forced to board out of pocket. He talks about his spirituality and his hobbies and his family. I sit in the back seat, scribbling down everything he says.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687681-size_1000.jpg

Just outside Winnipeg, a "chillout electronic" band from Toronto picks us up in their DIY ice cream truck-style tour bus. They stop for every hitchhiker—we're the third and fourth people to sign their hitch wall. Inside the bus is a PS3, five beds, gear, and a familiar dank. We bond and they give us rope friendship bracelets. After parting ways in Regina, we bump into them again in Revelstoke, BC by accident, where we watch their powerful chillout tunes flood a deserted pub. They are very happy to see us. "We have road friends," Nathan says.

It's on our ninth day that we exit the prairies and enter the mountains, cross the border from Alberta to BC, and time slows down 200 percent. In Field, BC, a mountain town of 169 humans, we float on our backs in a glacial swimming hole. The mountains hug us. Our trek is now worth it.

After spending the next ten days hitching around BC, the land of kush and the home of the vibes, swimming in the ocean off Salt Spring Island, and talking with friendly strangers in parks, it's time to leave.

the-best-place-to-stand-what-i-learned-hitchhiking-across-canada-body-image-1440687697-size_1000.jpg

We give ourselves ten days to hitchhike back to Toronto/Ottawa/reality in time for work and responsibilities. Our "EAST" sign pulls in an overnight ride from Vancouver to Calgary, then a straight shot across the prairies with two pot-smoking grandparents and their grandkid, then a ride from Winnipeg to Sudbury, and somehow we are back in Southern Ontario in the span of five days, way ahead of schedule.

We're so close to home we can practically smell that city stench as we stand on the shoulder of Highway 400 just north of Barrie with our thumbs out. Soon we're in our very last ride, a shiny car with a rifle-holder in the trunk and an OPP officer at the wheel, because it's illegal to be pedestrian on a 400-series highway, silly!

The officer doesn't buy us milkshakes, but she does what we ask. "To the Barrie bus terminal, please."

D

Deleted member 13433

I stopped reading once they started bringing up the word privilage because that word makes me sick.

On the other hand, Canada seems to be a most beautiful place, a place where I hear nothing but good things about, a place where you can go out and simply disappear.............

One of my friends has this great story of breaking down way the fuck up north, and I guess they had a 2 way SSB radio, and they were able to get the parts air dropped to where they were as driving out would have taken way way too long.
**it was something simple that failed - I forget what - maybe a drive shaft ?? simple to fix but impossible to make headway without.

That's awesome - the fact that one can get so far off the beaten path, which strangely enough - the people in this article never seemed to do.

But then again, the pictures are so beautiful posted here.
Maybe I'll pick this up again later after the privilaged stuff is done with........

milkhauler

Reaction score
Yeah Canada is cool. Went up there a few times in my rig till all the homeland security crap made it a 9 hr process to cross back into the US. There's only 39 million folks in an area nearly the size of the US. California alone has 40 million. Wierdest city I've been to was Montreal. You don't see houses scattered everywhere like in the US. Most apts and condos, built right on edge of hwy 400. Everyone running around on bikes or lil tiny econo cars. Went to a Wal-Mart outside Montreal and they have 3 isles with nothing but wines, exotic cheeses, and chocolate. Lots of chocolate from all over the world.

Sent from my consciousness

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Awesome pictures and article.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I stopped reading once they started bringing up the word privilage because that word makes me sick.

what makes me sick is the ridiculous level of denial in the travel punk community over class, race, and gender privilege.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
back to the article this thread is about though, it's not particularly any more well written than your average thread on StP. maybe we should start selling our travel stories to vice for cash :p

D

Deleted member 13433

Really Matt ???

With all due respect - perhaps some of us don't feel all that privilaged.

I've had to break my ass every God Damned Day to get to where I'm at.

Nobody ever cut me any slack of did me any favors.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but the only way I'm going to feel privilaged is when I am dead.

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
Really Matt ???

With all due respect - perhaps some of us don't feel all that privilaged.

I've had to break my ass every God Damned Day to get to where I'm at.

Nobody ever cut me any slack of did me any favors.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but the only way I'm going to feel privilaged is when I am dead.

A lot of punk kids come from privelegded backgrounds and pretend to be poor, down & out.

Don't take it personally yo

D

Deleted member 13433

I hear you and I was thinking about this last night, that maybe I went about this the wrong way - but - and yeah, you are right - those trust fund punks make me sick as well....

My ex dumped me because she considered me a complete racist.

Why ??

Because - me growing up in Brooklyn NY - in a neighborhood filled with all kinds of people - you name it - because I viewed all people as equal, all races ad equal, all nationalities, creeds, etc etc.... as equal because that's how I saw all these different kids from different neighborhoods............

This was in the 1970s, right ??
I figured we're all human or at least that's what I was taught in school.......

Therefore we should all be equal - nope, that got me branded as a racist because of my stubborn refusal to cut certain people additional slack and privilages............ that shit makes me mad.

I could see years ago that holding true - but not today.
Years ago - it certainly did hold true !!

*****Nothing today warrents condemnation, everything is accepted and you know, it's about time*****

Now if the girl in the article mentioned that they got lucky by virtue of her being real cute, I'd go along with that because the one picture of the girl - she reminded me of an old friend from New Haven named Sarah who I had such a hard crush on, but come to think of it - Sarah did not like men, so go figure......

it's all good - hopefully Matt does not ban me.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 13433

Either way, it is a great article though - filled with very beautiful pictures.
Makes me want to head up north tomorrow, but I can't... not yet anyway......

Canada to me is the definition of paradise.

milkhauler

Reaction score
Either way, it is a great article though - filled with very beautiful pictures.
Makes me want to head up north tomorrow, but I can't... not yet anyway......

Canada to me is the definition of paradise.
Yeah you gotta do it. Canada doesnt have interstate infrastructure like the US. If you are heading north from the us in a car its a lil slow, due to all the towns you drive right though.

Looks like a hitcher might have better luck up there though. The people seemed more relaxed and chilled, then back in the US. Keep in mind You don't see suburban qualler everwhere, so once you leave town, there's nothing but open land and farms. If ur ride didn't work out, you'll have a long ass walk to civilization. You rarley see people in the US stop and pick people up anymore. I think its due to fear. There's a lot Jeffrey Dauhmer whack jobs out there looking to be famous.

BC seems to be the coolest providence. Victoria was awe inspiring. Clean city for how many folks live there. I'll never forget that bridge lit up like a christmas tree. Its the 420 capital of Canada too. I have a cdl and cant risk a positive UA. [emoji19]

If I was a hitcher, I'd hop a train or bus and travel Canada for a few yrs. Winters are nasty, but the summers are a back packers dream.

Motreal was like the NYC of Canada.

Toronto remeinded me of LA.

Alberta is country as hell. Reminded me of home. Idaho!

BC reminded me of Washington state. Everything green. Lotta techie looking guys riding bikes, typing on thier macbooks, all while nibbling on granola bars. Lol!

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I hear you and I was thinking about this last night, that maybe I went about this the wrong way - but - and yeah, you are right - those trust fund punks make me sick as well....

My ex dumped me because she considered me a complete racist.

Why ??

Because - me growing up in Brooklyn NY - in a neighborhood filled with all kinds of people - you name it - because I viewed all people as equal, all races ad equal, all nationalities, creeds, etc etc.... as equal because that's how I saw all these different kids from different neighborhoods............

This was in the 1970s, right ??
I figured we're all human or at least that's what I was taught in school.......

Therefore we should all be equal - nope, that got me branded as a racist because of my stubborn refusal to cut certain people additional slack and privilages............ that shit makes me mad.

I could see years ago that holding true - but not today.
Years ago - it certainly did hold true !!

*****Nothing today warrents condemnation, everything is accepted and you know, it's about time*****

Now if the girl in the article mentioned that they got lucky by virtue of her being real cute, I'd go along with that because the one picture of the girl - she reminded me of an old friend from New Haven named Sarah who I had such a hard crush on, but come to think of it - Sarah did not like men, so go figure......

it's all good - hopefully Matt does not ban me.

Cheers.

personally, i think you're a little confused on the definition of 'privilege' but if you'd like to discuss it further, let's create a new thread for that so we don't derail this one.

D

Deleted member 13433

no thanks... well, if you do - I promise I'll sit that one out.

Ex - lectured to me how it took her many years to unlearn everything she was brought up knowing and experiencing as truth for the new truth, which was something I could not even begin to remotely accept as truth and if I could not bring myself to unlearn all my life experiences to learn and accept this new truth [privilage] then she was out [of our relationship] since I was now considered a racist so, hey she needs to do what she needs to do, as do myself.

Ok, I'm out from this thread.... let the original intent of this original post continue.

Sincere apologies for commenting here in the first place.......... as I am in the minority here.

I promise I'll keep me views to meself on this topic from here on in.

it's all good.

Cheers everybody.

xeperu

Reaction score
no thanks... well, if you do - I promise I'll sit that one out.

Ex - lectured to me how it took her many years to unlearn everything she was brought up knowing and experiencing as truth for the new truth, which was something I could not even begin to remotely accept as truth and if I could not bring myself to unlearn all my life experiences to learn and accept this new truth [privilage] then she was out [of our relationship] since I was now considered a racist so, hey she needs to do what she needs to do, as do myself.

Ok, I'm out from this thread.... let the original intent of this original post continue.

Sincere apologies for commenting here in the first place.......... as I am in the minority here.

I promise I'll keep me views to meself on this topic from here on in.

it's all good.

Cheers everybody.

Don't stop voicing your opinion. Just realize other people are going to do the same. Privilege is usually invisible to those who have it, unless they're inclined to ponder abstract things.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads