Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I cook with fire, it looks kind a like this
fire.jpg

travelin

Reaction score
bump for a necro thread that contains some very good information, especially the dakota fire pit designs.

i have used dakota fire pits for years and they work very well.

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
usually i use a twig stove i made from an cutlery strainer salvaged from behind a resturant in chinatown.
i didnt want to take it on the plane, so i picked this baby up at the market when i got to the philippines for 3 bucks!!
its a duel twig/charcoal burner, burns hot as the flames of hell, metal rim arond the edges for pot to sit on, comes with a grill to bbq on.
made from welded aluminum, light as hell. will be cleaning this one up to take home with me for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_7448.JPG
    IMG_7448.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 516
Reactions: Dishka8643

Alaska

Reaction score
I used to just travel with a pot, but my Cabela's-centric grandparents gave me their old "set". It's like a small sphere that transforms into a pan, a pot, a cup, and a spatula. It's kind of awesome.

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
While I have not been hobo-ing yet, when I do camp out and travel, I use a home made alcohol stove with 3 cans of coke, called the "keyhole stove" it got its own base with a wind block on the base. You fill it and put some alcohol on the bottom and light it, it will work when there is a breeze, and lights up quickly. I carry alcohol in a water bottle. ! squishable Gatorade bottle last 1 week.

The stove is small, fits inside a aluminum mug, which i bought for cheap. inside the mug also a aluminum foil windblock screen, a 3 leg stand made out of coat hangers and plastic syringe, lighter, scrub pad and lid made of large bean can. The entire cooking set fits inside itself ( except for fuel). it weights less than a cellphone. It doesnt work too well with a lot of breeze, takes longer to cook and less efficient.

For those who say you can't see the flame...you cant in broad daylight. But a shade of a bridge or your hand can make it visible. Also you can hold a twig see if it burns, or just look at the stove and watch for heat wave. You can totally see it at night.

Here is my stove:
0yUyh.jpg

Oh, and those who say you use Propane...are you talking about the green coleman canisters, or the small, aluminum canisters?

The big, heavy steel propane canisters are near indestructible, but heavy as fuck
The smaller aluminum come in tow types:
Isobutane ( a mix of 20% propane and 80% butane) found in wal-mart for coleman "hiking" mini stove. The propane propels the butane at low temperatures.
Butane: red MSR or gray cans found in outfiters, like Bass Pro shop, etc. 100% butane, same as your lighter. They dont work well when frozen or near freezing temps, you have to warm the can first.

Propane:
418-XolVRpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Isobutane:
gas_canister_hires.png

And Regular butane:
Butane_Cartridge_Can.jpg

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Picked this up from a gunshow.I've done my share of research on it.Seems to be from either 1945 or its a 1970 Repop.But hell its german and has a makers mark on it.Either way its got some history to it and i paid $5 for it.I know ill never see anyone with one of these haha.

It was made when germany was split up from what i can find out.So that dates it at least 40 years old give or take.

2unwpee.jpg

Use it on a fire or my alcohol stove.

72d0jm.jpg

Love the damn thing and it'll cook anything i throw in it.Plus it doesn't weigh shit because its aluminum.Sucks tho that its made from that.Hello cancer lol.Whatever.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads